RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #81
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

What Amy said!!!!



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #82
charlieglasgow
bedlam publishing journalist :)
 
charlieglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Casper, Wyoming
I am currently:

so gay has gone from meaning homosexual to dumb. hm. interesting. and it has NOTHING to do with the fact that homophobics use the term to mean that's so gay as in homosexual as in gay.

right.

in the real world? doesn't fly.

the words already are reportable on this site when used in the discriminatory concept.

but i get what you're saying - and thats why i said the gay movement needs to reclaim 'that's so gay' like they did 'queer'. queer was once an insult, and now it's a statement made with pride.

how awesome if we could reclaim that with 'that's so gay.'



http://www.icedteaandlemoncake.wordpress.com
I have a blog, and I LOVE comments. pretty please?

what's up? I'm a bagel.

charlieglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #83
Dreaming.
You are free.
 
Dreaming.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England.
I am currently:

Gay still means homosexual, there's no need, surely, to 'reclaim' it?
I'm really struggling to understand why it's so bad to have a word with two different meanings?


Last edited by Dreaming. : 07-09-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #84
Voldemort
 
Voldemort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming. View Post
Gay still means homosexual, there's no need, surely, to 'reclaim' it?
I'm really struggling to understand why it's so bad to have a word with two different meanings?
This.

Words are not intrinsically bad or wrong or offensive. It's how they are used, said and phrased. Words do not belong to people, groups or ogranisations. They are not 'owned' by anyone. They are simply used in different ways and mean different things.

Wicked means evil, or cruel, and it can also mean good and ace. It's how it's used, and who's using it that matters.

Even if a homophobe goes 'that's stupid and gay', I STILL doubt that it's a slight about homosexuals...because they simply don't factor into it, at all! Homophobe or not, they are not comparing the wall/object/rule to a homosexual person, they are simply branding it silly.

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #85
squirrelspit
 
squirrelspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieglasgow View Post
so gay has gone from meaning homosexual to dumb.
didnt dumb originally mean mute/unable to speak?

and now it mean silly or stupid.

oh noes.. one word thats evolved into slang over time to have two meanings.





squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #86
OutOfTheWoods11
I'll let you **** my soul, for a hit of that glow
 
OutOfTheWoods11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemort View Post
This.

Words are not intrinsically bad or wrong or offensive. It's how they are used, said and phrased. Words do not belong to people, groups or ogranisations. They are not 'owned' by anyone. They are simply used in different ways and mean different things.

Wicked means evil, or cruel, and it can also mean good and ace. It's how it's used, and who's using it that matters.

Even if a homophobe goes 'that's stupid and gay', I STILL doubt that it's a slight about homosexuals...because they simply don't factor into it, at all! Homophobe or not, they are not comparing the wall/object/rule to a homosexual person, they are simply branding it silly.
Amy you have now become one of my favourite people to quote =]

OutOfTheWoods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 AM.