RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #841
foxfly
little skinless
 
foxfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I am currently:

I hope it's ok to ask a question? Is that annoying for you guys?

I went to my psychiatrist today, and told him about how I've felt like I'm spinning around rapidly outside my body, or floating around in a room leaving my body behind, and seeing my body from a distance. He said it was associated with stress and was called 'derealisation'.

Is this part of dissasocitive distress? Does anyone else have this?



Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.


foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #842
whirlpools
 
Join Date: May 2008

i experience derealisation. it can be a symptom of dissociative distress and it can also be a symptom of anxiety/panic. though my understanding of derealisation is that it's when you experience the world around you as unreal. but i think with any types of experiences it's different for everyone. xxx

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #843
foxfly
little skinless
 
foxfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I am currently:

Thanks for letting me know. I expect it's to do with stress for me, because I have been extremely stressed out recently.



Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.


foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #844
Marko
Hero for a day
 
Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NorthEast UK
I am currently:

Just read most this thread, can I ask, does anyone find themself living in this unreal world most/all the time rather than just spells in it?

For as long as I remember I have not been real and have just been a puppet in their world.

My shrink is very concerned!

I get no enjoyment from anything as it all feels fake, I have no motivation to do anything as I don't see the point. I over analyse everything. Nothing seems real to me, I'm just passing thru. When it will be my stop I do not know but it can't cme soon enough. Been like this since at least 8 years old, I'm 24 in august.

How do people live like this? If this is what I finally get diagnosed with then god help me.



hush little baby, don't say a word, and never mind that noise you heard
it's just the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head


Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #845
[Fog]
 
[Fog]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I am currently:

Hey guys, I introduced myself a while back but since then I've been in a psych ward for a while and got a new diagnosis. I suffer from depression, anxiety, OCD, anorexia, self harm and psychosis (well apparently not true psychosis).

I have been diagnosed with dissociative disorder. I've looked into it and it all seems to make a lot of sense. But I'm a little confused as I thought there were a lot of dissociative disorders? Anyway just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello. So... Hello.

Hope everyone is coping ok xxx

[Fog] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #846
TheWeirdOnes
Meh
 
TheWeirdOnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind you.
I am currently:

havn't posted in a while, been busy, exams and the like. thought i'd chip in with the derealisation and say it happens to me alot. not much feels real anymore, and sometimes if i lose control of myself, i don't even know if it's even me, i'm just watching myself. I sometimes feel like not even the others are real and it's all in my head, i keep doubting myself. alot of the time i feel like i'm watching myself but ... i dunno. anyway just thought i'd post, not that anybody missed me haha.



I dreamed I was missing, you were so scared.
But no-one would listen, cos no-one else cared

I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through
I've never been perfect but neither have you

TheWeirdOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #847
Horizon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

Not good at advice today, but thinking of you all. Hope everything's okay. Got the headache. Don't want to know who's coming out. Lost more time last night. So tired and confused.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #848
whirlpools
 
Join Date: May 2008

Marko, i tend to just have spells of it. though, a few years ago i was so consistently derealised that i stopped functioning altogether. i didn't get out of bed because the world outside the window wasn't real. it was a confusing and frightening time. i tend to consider derealisation now as one of my "early warning signs of relapse".

i do think the right therapy can help you, though. you may never be free of your illness altogether, i'm not sure. but therapy can bring people a long, long way if they work with it. there is this understanding that true recovery is "the ability to live well alongside the presence or absence of mental health problems".

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #849
Fallen Rain
Abstract Tobacco
 
Join Date: May 2007
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana89 View Post
Hey guys, I introduced myself a while back but since then I've been in a psych ward for a while and got a new diagnosis. I suffer from depression, anxiety, OCD, anorexia, self harm and psychosis (well apparently not true psychosis).

I have been diagnosed with dissociative disorder. I've looked into it and it all seems to make a lot of sense. But I'm a little confused as I thought there were a lot of dissociative disorders? Anyway just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello. So... Hello.

Hope everyone is coping ok xxx
Hey Banana, as just really interested in your post because peoplehave thought I was psychotic at various parts of my life, and now it is understood as part of my dissociative disorder rather than true psychosis, I've also had past diagnoses of depression OCD, bulimia etc and self harm. Just thought I'd say hi as we seem to have a similar diagnostic history. Hope you're doing ok, I'm around if you'dever like to chat.

Fallen Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #850
TheWeirdOnes
Meh
 
TheWeirdOnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind you.
I am currently:

Banana there is a spectrum or dissociative disorders.



I dreamed I was missing, you were so scared.
But no-one would listen, cos no-one else cared

I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through
I've never been perfect but neither have you

TheWeirdOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #851
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Hello everyone. :)

My therapist explained Katrina so well today. I feel so very validated.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #852
TheWeirdOnes
Meh
 
TheWeirdOnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind you.
I am currently:

Wow. Kitty(little) actually found a few peoples she's not scared of. It's cute haha.

anyway. it's just like really loud inside at the moment, and the migrains are just awful. Any idea what helps?



I dreamed I was missing, you were so scared.
But no-one would listen, cos no-one else cared

I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through
I've never been perfect but neither have you

TheWeirdOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #853
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

What I would do is to go somewhere quiet and have an 'internal meeting'. Let them all have their say, one at a time.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #854
[Fog]
 
[Fog]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I am currently:

InferiorityComplex I understand that there is a spectrum of dissociative disorders. Would anyone mind explaining it to me a bit? I've looked it all up but I find it hard to understand and my psych diagnosed with with just dissociative disorder. Thanks

[Fog] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #855
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Dissociation is basically disconnecting from yourself, your memories, your surroundings, your feelings, your body... as a defence. It worked at the time of the original trauma, and now can be distressing in and of itself.

Depersonalisation
- when you don't feel real
Derealisation - when your surroundings and other people don't feel real
Dissociative Fugue & Dissociative Amnesia - when you lose track of yourself, become 'someone else' and don't remember it when you re-assume your place in yourself.
Dissociative Identity Disorder - When you 'split' into different aspects of yourself - often frozen memories of trauma/abuse become compartmentalised and have a 'mind of their own', and also can include internalised personifications/acting out of the abuser's treatment of you. Usually one part doesn't know the other as it's a protective defence mechanism that worked at the time of the trauma.
Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified - any combination of symptoms from the above diagnoses, but which don't meet the full criteria for one of them. For example split off parts of the self that do have awareness of each other.

There're also dissociative flashbacks which are a part of PTSD and Complex PTSD. That's when there's a trigger and you feel like the past is still happening, and are out of touch with present reality.

Borderline pd also has significant dissociative elements. Some theorists propose that it's on the dissociative identity continuum. However dissociation is only one criteria out of 9, 5 of which have to be reached for diagnosis. It is also only included in the DSM criteria, and not the ICD-10.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #856
[Fog]
 
[Fog]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I am currently:

Thank you for the explanation Stellata, much appreciated. I think at the moment I must be down as NOS as I have only just been diagnosed and not really had much psychological snooping into it yet! Thanks again xx

[Fog] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #857
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

You're welcome. :)

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #858
Horizon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

I am very nervous. Going to see a concert with a friend tonight. It's the first time I've been around so many people in a long time. I hate crowds. I'm very claustrophobic. I just keep thinking of all the things that could go wrong. And I'm worried that one of the others will come out, because they have been rather unpredictable and forceful about coming out lately. I don't want to make my friend uncomfortable or ruin her night. She knows about my alters, but she has made it perfectly clear she "only wants to hang out with me" and not "anybody else". I explained to her that technically they are always there, and I can't control when they come out. I'm just getting very anxious about all of this.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #859
BoundNoMore
feeling like a failure...
 
BoundNoMore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in my own little world...
I am currently:

I am pretty sure I have derealization and DID
(*waves to Katie* Looooong time no see!!!)



We're all in the same game;
Just different levels.
Dealing with the same hell;
Just different demons.


BoundNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #860
Kiwi
 
Kiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
I am currently:

something that helps me when I know that I'm going to be in an uncomfortable situation (like big crowds - not my favorite either) is to have a "fidget" - something tangible/tactile to play with if I need to to keep me grounded. I know it sounds stupid, but it has worked well for me and others I know. I usually just keep a black hair band on my wrist (looks like a bracelet,but I can take it off and play with it,stretch it out, "fidget with it"). but sometimes i'll take something more fun like a squishy ball or some odd thing picked up at the dollar store. I find they make good conversation pieces and help take the edge off, too. Anyway - just a thought. Using senses to stay grounded helps sometimes.



I was merely a prune
In a box of raisins
Dried and shriveled
Like all the rest. . . . .
Yet different somehow.


Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:11 AM.