RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #41
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

I know this is late as a response, and I'm still waiting for the result of my assessment, but I really struggle with the sensory side of things so I have some vague suggestions. For heat, I try to wear looser, clothes made of less heavy fabric than in winter. It also feels more important that they're soft/don't have labels or spiky bits, yno? Also it's much better now I have short hair. I have one of those insulated water bottles, and if I'm going to be away from home for a while I fill it with water and ice cubes and it stays pretty cold.

I have prescription sunglasses that I wear when I remember I have them

I've got some loop earplugs that help with the noise, though I can't tolerate things in my ears for too long, so I have to figure out whether the noise is worse than that or not. I also have big noise cancelling headphones which are great if it's cool enough.

I don't know if any of this is relevant as I may or may not be diagnosed with autism, but I do have a lot of sensory stuff.

Was anyone else's assessment super stressful and awkward? I just felt so scrutinized and basically panicked and forgot everything and misunderstood tasks etc. I should know the result in the next week but I don't know if my extreme anxiety might have skewed the assessment?



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:05 PM   #42
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

I have never been assessed, and I am sure it is different country to country. But I have done other testing things, and they do generally know how to read body language and test things enough to account for anxiety.



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #43
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

Also, I would argue that the fact you were anxious was part of the reason they were testing you in the first place. Yheres no ‘right’ answers to these sorts of things, you just tell them what you’re experiences are like and they form an opinion based on everything, not just your assessment.

How did it go, did you get an answer yet?

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #44
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Thanks, both of you, that helps :)
I haven't heard yet, and am currently stressing out because I just spoke to someone from the CMHT and told him I'd had the assessment but I think he might have thought I'd said I was diagnosed, and now if I'm not diagnosed they're going to think I lied.

Stupid brain.



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #45
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

How long have you thought you might have it? Did someone suggest it to you, or did you always suspect something was up?

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #46
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

I've been vaguely considering it for a few years and a few friends have mentioned it - I got diagnosed with EUPD at 16 which I always thought was a bit sus. Then I started looking into ADHD and the psychologist who did my first assessment suggested I look into it as she specialised in both conditions.

It would make a lot of my life make sense, if I'm honest, but I really would like to know for sure. I'm hoping the letter will come by the end of the week - the person assessing me said it should come within two weeks and it's been two weeks now.



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #47
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

Hmm. I thibk the fact that you’re having these issues at all kind of siggests you do have it. Autism in adult women is chronically under diagnosed becaise it presents itself differently in men and women, and you’ll have developed coping strategies naturally to mask things amd make things easier. Hopefully the letter will come soon - are you having another appointment with the person who assessed you to explain the letter and what kinds of things are out there to help?

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #48
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Fingers and puppy paws crossed you hear back soon. :)

By the way, just because another human misunderstood and/or assumed something from what you said doesn't mean you lied. It means the other human just did not understand. That is not your fault.



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #49
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Thanks again :)

I think they said there was an option of going through the report with someone, so I'll see if it's mentioned in the letter.

That makes me feel better Camden, thank you.



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #50
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

I’d really recommend you do because they’ll be able to explain things in plain English and tell you what all the scores and things mean. It can be pretty daunting to read as they’re written from a medical point of view, and they also may be able to tell you what support and stuff is available in your area. I’d be lost without Claire, she’s a godsend but I feel limited in suggesting organisations and stuff because they’re different all over the country.

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #51
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

I've actually NEVER been allowed to see test results or even treatment notes without someone there to explain things. So I would definitely agree with Alison that if it's an option to do it. That way they can be there both to support you and to help explain things. Like I get they may not be a member of your team or someone you see regularly, but they can at least be there to explain to help you process things, so you aren't just sat with it alone and upset.



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #52
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

If they offer, I think I'll def do that then, it sounds really helpful.

No letter today. I'm getting quite stressed, and have taken to watching out for the post in the morning

Edit: They called me (-_-) and they're sending the report out so I'll have it tomorrow and I have a zoom meeting with the psychologist next Thursday to go through the results.


Last edited by Elmer : 06-07-2022 at 11:29 AM.


'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #53
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Oh, good news! Do you have a plan for who to contact if you need support before Thursday?



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #54
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Yeah I have crisis numbers and cmht duty. I might go through the report with my friend who I’m meeting tomorrow as well, if she’s ok with it.

Thank you :)



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #55
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Doing it with a friend seems like a fantastic idea. Hopefully she is okay with it. Of course post here if you need as well! Will be sending good vibes for you.



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #56
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

Good lick tomorrow, I hope you get the amswer you’re looking for :)

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #57
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Thanks both. I’m on my way to meet my friend, letter came this morning - diagnosis confirmed. I physically don’t seem able to read further than that on the report right now.

I’m feeling all sorts of ways. I’m glad to have answers, but also really sad for all the years I thought I was just broken.



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #58
The Worst Witch
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

I remember feeling similar, and also, since being diagnosed my sensory issues have got worse. Theres loads of things I used to be able to do without thinking that now take a while to plan etc because I’m aware of them. Makes me sad.

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #59
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

It's a lot to process, and a lot to grieve. For me the mindset shift from "i'm not broken" to "my brain literally is wired differently" took the longest by far. It's still something I have to work on reminding myself of. Be kind to yourself. <3



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #60
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant
 
Elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Thank you both, you've been amazing.

I read through the report with my friend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though some of it came as a shock.

I'm going to give myself some space to process and look through the resources they sent.



'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P


Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:02 AM.