RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #21
Doesnt_matter
Judith
 
Doesnt_matter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kel- View Post
i often call it (an i know its so much more) when trying to explain why i NEED to carry out the behaviours as a 'mental itch'
I sometimes compare it to a broken record. You know, a broken record "hangs" and repeat a little part of a song again and again and again and that is what OCD makes you do, too: repeating a little action over and over.

At home, I can controll my OCD at the moment quite well (but I still have to check everything more than once).

But whenever I am at internship/ work and should lock a door, it is quite hard for me because 1.) I know that there are secret documents and expensive technical things like PCs and because 2.) I am afraid that some colleagues (?) could see me checking door and moving back and for to repeat it more than once .
It is a stupid dilemma and not a big problem but it p*sses me off though.

(Yeah, and eating together with the team is much harder dilemma because of my ED because 1.) people find it strange whenever I don't eat anything (while the others do) and 2.) if I eat, I will feel really bad afterwards (but now, I try to eat though there)...but that is another topic).

Perhaps someone could relate to these little problems and dilemmas.

Hugs,
Judith



I can't control my destiny.
I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be.
(Rent)

I'm selfish, inpatient and a little insecure.
I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. (Marilyn Monroe)


Doesnt_matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #22
small light
=GodBless=
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -
I am currently:

Oh Judith, yes! The little things seem to stand out so obviously. I think that' what OCD really comes down to - little things that seem and ARE big things to you. It isn't what you always expect a problem to be.

Quote:
Does anyone else, feel they have become quite good at hiding it from other people? xxxxx
Hmm, to a certain extent yes. Few people know about my counting or the canceling-out rituals, but my mum knows about my paranoia and checking of food. I often have to ask her if it's contaminated or gone off as I cannot tell for myself! If I think it's off, no logic will convince me otherwise. My dad finds it mildly funny, but I know that my mum doesn't want me to get worse. She is very comforting when it gets bad.



F r e d d i e

I am raw meat in a slaughter house, packaged according to what you are hungry for . . .


small light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #23
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

mmmmmmmmm

for me OCD is simply just a ****ing pain in the ass! :P lol
I have OCD spectrum, eg, OCD and mostly everything related to it.
Even my professionals have trouble understanding my inability to 'move' sometimes, because everytime i move it's something i have to fix up with another movement. I get 'stuck'! lol
I have been through extreme eposodes of OCD where i would stay up till mid-morning doing rituals, and the anxiety is horrible.
I would like to say that anyone who has a psychiatric disorder can understand, but in all honesty, i think it's SOOOO different to anything else, and unless you've been there, you can never really know (which is mostly a good thing!)

cheers



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #24
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I
 
-Tough-Cookie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
I am currently:

I agree...people who havnt experienced it make light of it...they just cant understand



“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----


-Tough-Cookie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

I'd be interested to know how many people on RYL have OCD as their primary diagnosis....hmmm
*hugs kel*
I remember when i first got into contact with OCD sufferors over the net. It was an extraudinary (sp?) releife! I felt like i finially found someone who knew the pain i was going though!
do you guys relate?
xoxo



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I
 
-Tough-Cookie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
I am currently:

I've had OCD since i can remember...but it wasnt diagnosed till a couple of years ago an before that, before i had a name for it i really did think i was crazy. So i ttoaly understand the releif.
It isnt my primary diag. Anorexia is...however i know the OCD was there along time before my ED an contributed to it.



“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----


-Tough-Cookie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

yes, diagnosis was a great relief for me too!
I thought i was mad also lol. It is funny to think about it now....but i feel sick to the stomach with the idea that there are young people and even kids out there right now who think they're mad as they don't know what's happening to them :(



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #28
small light
=GodBless=
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly hearts View Post
I'd be interested to know how many people on RYL have OCD as their primary diagnosis....hmmm
It depends who was diagnosing me :/ Different doctors have said different things as I'm comorbid. Always anxiety/obsession/OCD/OCDD have been in a diagnosis though.



F r e d d i e

I am raw meat in a slaughter house, packaged according to what you are hungry for . . .


small light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
Psychedelic Doodle Pop
 

About a year into adolescent services ocd became my primary diagnosis, now I'm in adult services I'm comorbid and I'm not sure what my primary diagnosis is. I hear you with the handwashing, I get so frustrated when I tell people I have OCD. It amused me when one girl on the adolescent unit I was on told everyone I must be lying about having ocd because she'd never seen me handwash (even though I'd told her when she asked what my diagnosis was that it wasn't handwashing). I get intrusive images and related anxiety/compulsions, and intrusive thoughts etc. It gets muddled in with psychotic features and disassociation though which makes it all very complicated and ugly.

Has anyone here had exposure therapy? I've had that and cbt up to my eyeballs and I think the last time I had exposure therapy was done in an unethical way and get very angry a lot as I have flashbacks from the therapy (pathetic I know) and when things related to the things we did appear I'll get panic attacks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #30
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Rain View Post
I get intrusive images and related anxiety/compulsions, and intrusive thoughts etc. It gets muddled in with psychotic features and disassociation though which makes it all very complicated and ugly.
I also get this problem. I do not have psychosis (as far as i know!), but i get very very dissociated due to anxiety. I also get the stange beliefes like 'people can read my mind' and 'i can save people's lives' and 'if i don't do this people will die' and it's all very confusing....i also see things out of the corner of my eye etc, but it's not true psychosis, just being dissociated and severe anxiety which distorts my perception.

tc



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #31
Psychedelic Doodle Pop
 

Seriously? I get all of that too. The psychotic features for me are just thing I hear which aren't there, but a lot of the things I see are from extreme anxiety or dissociation. When I'm in a very dissociated state I'll see things, but I think it's from the dissocation not the pychotic features. I also get the beliefs too, which have also been attributed to ocd. *pokes you* want to chat sometime? Sorry it's just I haven't met anyone else with non-psychotic perception thingies.

  Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #32
mmmMinty...
lololololol
 
mmmMinty...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Londres
I am currently:

humm well I have ocd and the handwashing is a fairly recent thing. I repeat things over and over and I have obsessions about numbers, like if I do things a certain number of times then it's safe and stuff...and i can't do anything an odd number of times or i freak out a bit, and I compulsively count stuff. I have this thing on msn which is really irritating where there has to be an even number of smily facies on the page. Its pretty stressful. I organise things in alphabetical order, colour code things and arrange stuff at right angles. I won't eat anything blue or more recently purple. Words and numbers and days of the week and musical notes/scales have their own colours, and so do people. I have to have my keys with me all the time, and i went through a phase of carrying a holepunch around. I spend so much time turning off plug sockets...which i think is down to the obsession that someone will get electrocuted :/
I get a bit paranoid...like i start hearing stuff and seeing things out of the corner of my eye if I'm anxious, and the rituals make me feel safe, its a bit of a safety net when other stuff gets bad as well...like i'll retreat into carrying out these little rituals. Usually I just switch off if I can't find a solution to the problem, and i sort of float as a way of coping with it. I don't know anyone else who does that though :S



"That is why, for Christ's sake,
I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships,
in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong"
(2 Corinthians 12:13)


Together We Are Strong <3


mmmMinty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #33
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

I also have trouble with msn.
even number of dots, and Ses on my lol(s) if you get me....
i also always put even dots in number of 4s
It happens when i think too.....like, i put extra words in my sentances when im thinking and put 'mmhmpks' on the end to make it right
lol
now i REALLY sound mad....
HAHA



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
small light
=GodBless=
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -
I am currently:

Hehe, you're not mad ButteryflyHearts - it's just another of those things thats hard to explain to someone who doesnt understand how important it can be.

I get a lot of intrusive thoughts too, nearly all of them are consequences. "If you don't do this then such-and-such will happen" which I'll then have to cancel out. Recently they've been getting much much worse



F r e d d i e

I am raw meat in a slaughter house, packaged according to what you are hungry for . . .


small light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
moth
hypocrite
 
moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I am currently:

"Personally I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Dissociative Disorder. This means that along with certain physical and mental processes I HAVE to go through, I often zone out if there is no way to "fix" the problem. It's a way to cope with something my mind can't handle, but gets embarrassing in a social situation!"

I've never heard of OCDD before but what you describe I do all the time.

I have a friend who has OCD, has to have everything symetrical etc. Just wondering if there was anyway I could help her? I don't know anything about this stuff really.



Too Young to Die, Too Fast to Live.


moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #36
Psychedelic Doodle Pop
 

Aye, I've never heard of OCDD, but I have been diagnosed with dissociative diosrder alongside my ocd, the two intertwin a lot, so yeah, you're not alone.

  Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #37
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

Small_light - that's no good that they've been getting worse! :(
yes i often cancel out.
also, i have trouble writing/talking about what im sceared of or have been thinking about....because i think it will make it happen. Therefore things are hard to share! after i say things i have to think 'please no no i really don't want that to happen, it's the last thing i want to happen, please dont make it happen' LOL.



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #38
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*
 
Alone and Scared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lost.
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by small light View Post
Hmm, to a certain extent yes. Few people know about my counting or the canceling-out rituals, but my mum knows about my paranoia and checking of food. I often have to ask her if it's contaminated or gone off as I cannot tell for myself! If I think it's off, no logic will convince me otherwise. My dad finds it mildly funny, but I know that my mum doesn't want me to get worse. She is very comforting when it gets bad.

Contamination of food and whether it is off or not.
Everything I eat, I am scared that it has gone off. EVERY meal time, is the same fear, EVERY meal time, I ask the same questions. If I am convinced there is something wrong with it, nothing and I mean NOTHING will change my mind. It's like, if I think it has gone off, the smell and taste are funny, and I'm just convinced it is going to make me sick. (Phobia).
Use by dates, I WILL NEVER EVER eat something past it's use by date. When they say 4 days after opening or whatever, I am very careful that it is the exact time, and not after. Things that say eat on say day, I'm really cautious over, and if they say 24 hours, then it's to the second - not beyond.

My mum and dad find it hard work, and I don't blame them, but they are both very supportive, and will help me through the panic!!

It's kind of, settling to know someone is similar with food.



-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-



Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx


Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #39
small light
=GodBless=
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -
I am currently:

*hugs AloneAndScared* have you ever managed to eat something even if you don't trust it? With milk (my usual fear-based-food!) I am usually ok if my mum tests it first, it's like she will always tell me the truth. Obviously there are times when my mind takes over - it WILL taste wrong, even if it's not.

Also I label my food in the fridge lol, saying the time and day it was opened so i dont eat/drink it after that time!



F r e d d i e

I am raw meat in a slaughter house, packaged according to what you are hungry for . . .


small light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 AM   #40
butterfly hearts
 
butterfly hearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: goblin land
I am currently:

awwwwww
i don't have this problem AS badly....but i do fear gone off milk!
I don't tend to care much unless something is coming up and i don't want to get sick before it - eg travel, or exams. When that's the case, i don't eat ANYTHING that could be dodgy at all....

i like this thread, makes me feel less alone!

xoxo



Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree


<3 <3



butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 AM.