RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

And GP.
Sorry, non image settings won't let me edit posts!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
startingagain
 
startingagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009

It all depends on who is asking. If it was for the NHS then it is no. If it was for MIND then yes.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Gone.
 
Join Date: May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnonymous View Post
It used to matter to me whether or not my private councellor saw me as a patient or a client. She said that I was both, but at the beginning more of a patient, and at the end, a client. I agreed with her on that.
That's interesting.

Just put that you use services but not NHS ones. You aren't a defined service user in accordance with the form you're filling in because they're asking about the NHS. MIND is a charity so the box for 'service user' will be broader as they incorporate other elements of therapy. You can write a note about it anyway and that'll clarify things. I do that all the time when my answers don't fit into the neat little boxes of questionnaires.



Left.


Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
offlineforever
Left RYL
 
Join Date: Dec 2009

Given that this form was never even sent off due to missing the deadline, why does it matter?



Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

It matters in the case of any potential future things that're similar which come up. :)

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.
That's a useful way to put it, Belle.

You see, for me, thumbelina, I have more awareness of what happens in NHS services than the average 'local resident' due to knowing folks on here, knowing folks at the Mind walking group, general knowledge etc.

I also, I believe, that I do have opinions on crisis provision, as in, what would be most useful for me. There but for the grace of God etc I've never been hospitalised, but who knows if I ever get severely unwell again in the future, wrong place wrong time wrong person reporting it or whatever etc.

And, I also live right next to a hospital, where many of the other residents are hospital or other NHS staff, and I know that I have a little bit of an identity crisis/split thing going on with that!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
startingagain
 
startingagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009

I think you might be aware but actually using nhs services is different to listening to people talking about them. I've had a very good experience, so wouldn't feel the need to really talk about it. People who have had a negative experience in general tend to be more vocal, so it colours perceptions. Private and nhs will always be different.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
random.swirls
Head forum moderator
 
random.swirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Timbuktu!
I am currently:

Currently I'm a service user I use services and also see a counsellor.

When I get discharged I will still have mental health issues but wot use services as will be under the care of my gp and the private counsellor.

If I filled in the form now I would tick service user but once discharged I would tick local resident as whilst I may have a lot of knowledge of the services and my knowledge of mental ill was would be valuable but actually ticking the local resident box wouldn't nullify my response it would just put a different slant on it.

1 in 4 people suffer mental health issues and only some of them are service users th experience isn't nullified its just different




When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball


random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst
 
The War Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gallifrey
I am currently:

If it'll make you happy, fine, you're a service user.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Pops.
I'm just me.
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I am currently:

Was it an NHS survey? If yes, then you're not a service user. You can still have opinions as a local resident which is why there is a tick box for it.

Pops. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
makedamnsure
 
makedamnsure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I am currently:

You are a service user of you use the services of whoever is asking.

So on an NHS survey since you aren't using NHS mental health teams, you aren't a service user. Until very recently I wasn't recieving any help. But I had good knowledge of NHS services due to my brother and dad receiving CMHT/crisis team/CPN help. So you can not be a service user and still have a good understanding of the system.

Creating surveys and tick box type answers will always fall short of gaining someone's full story. It's just a quick way to access and sort information.
If they were being more thorough they could have included more options e.g
"Do you currently use NHS mental health services"
"Do you use private help"
"Has anyone in your family received NHS help"
Etc etc.



Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit


makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. :)

I think that maybe trying to overcome black and white thinking can make me a bit over pedantic to compensate. Or something like that. :)
[And, as I've said, I'm hormonal! Never the most rational time!]

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:43 PM.