RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bi polar advice

My mum thinks I am bi polar(I've said it for a while and so has the pharmacist friend I have)

Anyways how do I go about getting diagnosed?

I also would really love some information to read and look at so I know what I am dealing with, I have counselling on monday so going to ask her and see what she says and see if she can maybe chat to my doctor about it all.

Myimmortalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Horizon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

I would advise against reading up on an illness which you may or may not have. Often it can do more harm than good.

When you go to your appointment, don't say you think you're bipolar, just tell them your symptoms.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

LOL^ dont you think I've already tried that? She laughed in my face and told me I had wasted an appointment.

Oh well guess im just the ****ed up little freak no one wants around.

Myimmortalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself
 
Fire Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom of backwards thinking?
I am currently:

Can you see your GP and explain to him about your symptoms?



Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -


The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln


Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

I have and no one listens

Myimmortalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
[Luna]
 
[Luna]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK

What do you want from this thread?



Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

Obviously advice but seems I wont bloody get it

Myimmortalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
RYL Super Sponsor!
 
Pi.R^2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Safety Cupboard
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaLamp. View Post
What do you want from this thread?
This. There's no magic way to get a bipolar diagnosis. You need to see a doctor. And if your doctor doesn't take you seriously, see a different GP.

Like has been said, I really would not advice going in and saying you have bipolar. Just makes you sound like someone who is sometimes sad and sometimes happy and has gone on a google-fest and decided that in fact, normal emotional range = DEFINITELY BIPOLAR.

If your mood is concerning you, go to your GP (a different one, if you think yours isn't taking you seriously), and say that you have had XYZ thoughts and feelings and that they distress you.



No other sadness in the world would do


Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
[Luna]
 
[Luna]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK

You just said you won't get advice but two members told you to make an appointment with a gp and not to look up a diagnosis you might not have. The only people that can give you a diagnosis is a qualified doctor or psychiatrist (preferably the latter).

That is the answer to your question.



Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
chinahorse
 
chinahorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facet View Post
I would advise against reading up on an illness which you may or may not have. Often it can do more harm than good.
Agree with this, being able to quote the diagnostic criteria doesn't help you as then you are in danger of either consciously or unconsciously skewing things so that they appear to fall within it.

If your GP actually laughed in your face report it and change surgeries as you two obviously do not get along and this will not be helpful.

The only way to get a diagnosis which may actually hinder rather than help you, which is something you have to bear in mind, is like Narcissa said to go and see the doctor.

Perhaps keep a diary of your thoughts, moods, feelings or behaviours to show to the GP?



Given enough tea I could rule the world.


chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
offlineforever
Left RYL
 
Join Date: Dec 2009

I don't think being sarcastic and having a go at people for giving you advice in a thread you created asking us for advice is really going to help in the long run, you are just going to alienate us all.

What everyone else has said is true you need to raise these concerns with a doctor. Just becuase 3 people think you have something (which none of you are qualified to diagnose, unless you are psychiatrists) does not make it the case.

If you are not happy with your doctor ask for a second opinion or change doctors. Don't take out your issues on us, it isn't our fault.



Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
Aubergine
You've got this.
 
Aubergine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

I think keeping a mood diary for a while would be a good idea. A lot of doctors like looking at stuff like that. It helps them a lot more than you going in there with a diagnosis in mind.

Changing doctors also sounds like it could be a good plan. It helps to have someone that you click with.



“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.


Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
88shelz
be positive
 
88shelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I am currently:

I find writing things down does help me a lot. Please seek a second opinion if you feel you are being dismissed. Sorry you feel you aren't receiving help. Sometimes the help you are looking for isn't what you get but it can be just as helpful.





88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
squirrelspit
 
squirrelspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

You cant get a bipolar diagnosis if you dont have it, same as you cant walk into a hospital and request a cast on your leg if its not broken.

I would suggest putting this specific diagnosis out of your head, but, if you recognise that you dont seem to be functioning normally, go see gps and doctors and psychs until you do feel you are getting some worth while help.

Out of interest, why do you feel you have this diagnosis specifically?





squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #15
Horizon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myimmortalgirl View Post
LOL^ dont you think I've already tried that? She laughed in my face and told me I had wasted an appointment.

Oh well guess im just the ****ed up little freak no one wants around.
Sorry, but how am I supposed to know what you've already tried? I don't know you. I don't appreciate your attitude when I was trying to give a reply based off what little information I could gather from the post.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
Snow White.
I am a fairy.
 
Join Date: May 2004
I am currently:

I think the best you can do is what you've stated in your original post - discuss it with your counsellor and have them discuss it with your doctor. However I also agree with others that you should present your symptoms, and not your idea of a diagnosis. Afterall, the symptoms are the most important things as they are what is affecting your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspit
I would suggest putting this specific diagnosis out of your head, but, if you recognise that you dont seem to be functioning normally, go see gps and doctors and psychs until you do feel you are getting some worth while help.

Out of interest, why do you feel you have this diagnosis specifically?

I agree with this too, and the question.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

If a gp laughed in your face, they're obviously not a good gp. So it shouldn't be hard to see a different gp. Also bi polar is not a simple diagnosis. If you really want support and advice then don't get snarky with people who give it just because you don't like what they say. Make a list of your symptoms and see a different doctor. If you can't get an appointment soon, document your mood swings and how they go. Don't go tell your doctor that you have something because other people and the Internet tell you that you have it.



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Ballerina123
XXX
 
Ballerina123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North east England
I am currently:

Personally I would tell the GP what you are struggling with and ask if you can be refered to a psychiatrist. It the last GP laughed at you then see a different GP. They may want to try and manage your difficulties themselves for a little while before referring you, which I think you should be open to because they are only trying to help and you could find your symptoms are manged fine with them.

I think only a psychiatrist can make a diagnosis of bipolar (or any other more complex disorder you could be suffering from). So to get a full assessment and accurate menatl health diagnosis I would ask if you can be refered to a psychiatrist.

But as some one above said you may not even I have bipolar. There are illness' (including physical ones) that can look like bipolar but are Infact somethings else. I would also expect you GP to do a full physical including bloods.


When I was diagnosed I saw 2 different GPs, 2 shos (newly qualified psych docs), several mental health nurses and 2 consultants. They all worked together and intensely assessed me for about 6-10 months to determine my diagnosis of bipolar. Baring in mind that I have been in the mental health system for 7 years with several inpatient admissions for problems with my mood and last year was the first time my doctors/nurses came together with my assessment material and found my correct diagnosis.
So I'm guessing that even if you see a psychiatrist you should expect to wait month-years for an accurate diagnosis. If someone gives you a diagnosis after only knowing you a few weeks then it is likely they have not assessed you fully and I, personally, would ask for more assessment time/second opinion.

Why is it that you and your family think you are bipolar?



The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.


Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.


Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 PM.