RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #2241
Devil Girl
 
Devil Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

I have just finished sex crimes and think I will start mind race which is about someone with bipolar disorder.

sex crimes was better than I thought it would be. I didn't have high expectations though but easy read with a plot that kept you Reading.



You made up your mind to torture mine!
If you read a scar like a book, you will relise the story in which you over look
red ribbons were weaving
upon the young girls skin.
a trail of red weaved deep,
caused by pain from within


Devil Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2242
Breifly_Tragic </3
Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
 
Breifly_Tragic </3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester
I am currently:

I'm still reading Broken by Kelly Armstrong because I stopped reading it when I came off nights at work and had to work days againn :( I should probably start again haha!



"And just like the movies, we play out our last scene. You won't cry, I won't scream."
"There's just chaos, and violence, and random unpredictable evil that comes out of no where. && rips you to shreads."
<3RYL House<3


Breifly_Tragic </3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2243
Sparky!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallifetime View Post
'Veronika Decides To die' is afilm now ,when did that happen .Wasnt his best book at all
Yeah, it's a film. Although apparently it hasn't been released in the UK / US yet, I watched it online. It's pretty good.

I thought the book was alright, nothing particularly special.

Next is 'In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor' - Nick Edwards.

  Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #2244
mikey
I'm a girl
 
mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
I am currently:

I've read 'In Stitches', but wasn't overly impressed if I'm honest. It was okay. Perhaps it's just not my style of book.

At the moment I'm reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang, which is really interesting.



There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett


mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #2245
Sparky!
 

^Mm, I'm finding it quite hard to read so far. It's like he's trying too hard to be funny and it just doesn't flow that well. But I haven't read that much, hopefully it will get better.

  Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #2246
Steel Magnolia
faithful pastafarian
 
Steel Magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mullingar - Ireland
I am currently:

^^ Im glad to hear your views on the book.. Im trying to decide whether its worth the read or not!






"Buy the ticket, take the ride.."

Steel Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #2247
Devil Girl
 
Devil Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

Just finished Mind Race - I enjoyed it, easy and informative (though I did study bipolar disorder for an essay and have read a lot of journal articles) so it was quite easy for me.

I am trying to decide what to read next....got so many to read but dono what to pick up!



You made up your mind to torture mine!
If you read a scar like a book, you will relise the story in which you over look
red ribbons were weaving
upon the young girls skin.
a trail of red weaved deep,
caused by pain from within


Devil Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #2248
ejennie
 
ejennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I am currently:

Just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. Truly amazing, as usual. And I just started I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. It's really weird, but kind of quirky and fun and interesting.

I'm getting Tracey Gold's memoir in the mail soon. So I'll start that when I get it.

ejennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #2249
charlieglasgow
bedlam publishing journalist :)
 
charlieglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Casper, Wyoming
I am currently:

i read my name is charlotte simmons, but i didn't finish it. didn't really hold my interest.

then i read the virgin suicides.

now i'm reading chuck palauhnick's survivor.



http://www.icedteaandlemoncake.wordpress.com
I have a blog, and I LOVE comments. pretty please?

what's up? I'm a bagel.

charlieglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #2250
Sparky!
 

'In Stitches' was alright, I guess. Nothing amazing. It improved a bit once I got into it, there were some good bits but overall it wasn't wonderful. Worth a read but only if you don't have to buy it, have nothing better to read, and don't get upset by the occasional bitching about self-harm / attempted suicide, lol.

Now about to start 'The Ninth Life of Louis Drax' - Liz Jensen.

  Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #2251
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

I've just finished "Broken Wings" & "Midnight Flight" by Virginia Andrews. Excellent.

Now reading "Living in Perhaps" by Julia Widdows. Slow, but absorbing.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #2252
onepapergirl
Hoping.
 
onepapergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slytherin Common Room.
I am currently:

Reading The Grapes of Wrath for English and The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath by Ronald Hayman.



| Sarah|
i Miss you.o7.11.o8
♥♥♥♥♥♥"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain.
In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."


onepapergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2253
PixieHope.
 
PixieHope.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nottingham, UK
I am currently:

I'm reading 'A Question of Love' by Isabel Wolff. It's taking me ages to read cos I have no time anymore. It's okay though.



And you say I only hear what I want to.

PixieHope. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #2254
Devil Girl
 
Devil Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

I just read Monochrome Days - was okay, not as good as some of the other books in this mental health series, but quick and informative read with relatively up to date stats.

Think my next book will be Deliver Me From Evil By Alloma Gilbert - but will see how the first few chapters are else may read Skin Game or Bridget Jones's Diary - just not too sure what I want to be reading just now..



You made up your mind to torture mine!
If you read a scar like a book, you will relise the story in which you over look
red ribbons were weaving
upon the young girls skin.
a trail of red weaved deep,
caused by pain from within


Devil Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #2255
RainbowsAndButterflies
No longer using this as main account. Only meets.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009

Just read cry silent tears- Joe peters

It is an amazing but such a heart breaking read. x



I am now not going to use this account as my main one from now on.
If you want my new account PM me. xxx

RainbowsAndButterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #2256
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst
 
The War Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gallifrey
I am currently:

Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.

Currently reading Fornication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers Story by Jeff Apter. I'm only a few pages in, but so far so good.

Next on my list (which seems to get longer every time I read something, somehow): The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. I'm not entirely sure exactly what it's about, but I thought it seemed interesting, so we'll see.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #2257
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз
 
lozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
I am currently:

just reading "notes left behind" by brooke and desserich
it looks sad but also very inspiring:)
its about a young girl who had brain cancer... and just what she taught others. after she was diagnosed she hid notes to her parents and sister around the house for them to find after she has gone.... this was when she was just 6 years old!!! She sounds like a pretty amazing girl if you ask me...

has anyone else read this book yet?



sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♥●•٠·˙~


my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10


lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #2258
Atemu
Person who plays CLUE way too much
 
Atemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I am currently:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong

The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

That's about it. :) One's a real oldy (book-age wise) that I've been wanting to read for a while.




::"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain::


Atemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #2259
The One Who
 
The One Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge View Post
Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.
I've just finished that too, amazing how long it takes when all I can read is the odd thirty minutes on the train! I love the 'witches' series, the interactions between Granny and Nanny are brilliant.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #2260
Shadowsaurus
Left.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008

Just finished reading "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath. It was a good read, but hard to get my head around and keep up to track! It's about a girl who ended up in a mental hospital.
Just reading "Halfway House" by Katharine Noel which is similar sort of thing. This girl has a breakdown and ends up being diagnosed with bipolar. I'm really into books about people's mental health atm, fiction or non-fiction as it helps me understand me kinda thing!

I'm also reading on the side "Our Little Secret" by Duncan Fairhurst which is one of those depressing abuse ones, but it's on my uni reading list so thought I'd get it over with!

Shadowsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 25 (0 members and 25 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:51 PM.