RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #41
PropheticStar
 

FYI we thought Charlie was a bloke... :p

 
Old 14-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #42
Aidee
 
Aidee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
I am currently:

Ok, so we've identified that males are underrepresented on the staff teams. I think it would also be a good idea if one of our (the staffs) goals was adding more male memebers. I know we can't pick members just because they are male, but maybe we could work on helping more males become suitable for various roles.

I know that might seem unfair to give males extra help, but afirmative action had its benefits.



Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.




Aidee is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #43
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropheticStar View Post
Who else, um going way back TurkBoy, lolitadukken, pies, Gosunki, Axxter, pugdog, I'm sure there are others my bad memory has forgotten :p
How many male mods have there been on V3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
youre making problems out of something you dont even know about!Yes its a secret process and theres loads of reasons for that, we dont tell anyone for a reason.christ.
I'm not making problems! How am I making probelms? I made a suggestion. you said I know nothing about anything so I pointed out that NOONE knows anything about it except for the mods. Sure RYL is the internet and not real life. But I don't quite know why it's so secret. Apparently there are hundreds of people who want to be mods and will fake everything to get there... but if they were appointed as a mod then misused that power wouldn't they just lose their modliness?

Besides if you put up 100 females and 1 male for selection statistics PROVE that the male wont get chosen. So when the the selection is already biased, then doesn't the "one male" who is even up for selection deserve a little help?

Also males already feel out of place and stuff on ryl. Becasue it's female dominated site. So when the staff is all females, that can make them feel even less like they should be allowed to be here. I know it's not intentional but that's how it seems.



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #44
squirrelspit
 
squirrelspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropheticStar View Post
FYI we thought Charlie was a bloke... :p
STFU!!! really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aidey~ View Post
Ok, so we've identified that males are underrepresented on the staff teams. I think it would also be a good idea if one of our (the staffs) goals was adding more male memebers. I know we can't pick members just because they are male, but maybe we could work on helping more males become suitable for various roles.

I know that might seem unfair to give males extra help, but afirmative action had its benefits.
thats asuming male members WANT to be staff.





squirrelspit is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #45
Duffer44
Cake powered DUFF!!!
 
Duffer44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
I am currently:

I did read the other posts yes i was just voicing my opinion

the problem isn't getting more guys to join plenty join and then leave for what ever reason.

Even when Harley is around i still had the feeling of not being overly welcome maybe it's to do with the number of females i really don't know.

The fact males are also feel to hide behind a macho exterior of feeling nothing puts them off posting which leads to them being less well known etc... which then leads to no male mods i don't know




________________ ,,,,,,,,,,_
\__(=======/_=_/____.--'-`--.___
..................\ \ . `,--,--.___.----'
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.--`\\--'../
..............'---._____.|]

Duffer44 is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #46
PropheticStar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiwuzzle Lives View Post
but if they were appointed as a mod then misused that power wouldn't they just lose their modliness?
Before or after the incredibly messy and awful anarchy of a mod going haywire and abusing their powers?

 
Old 14-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #47
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

The youth group i've just resigned from had in the guidelines that the group had to be balanced. If we had an all female group, everything leans towards that side of things. No matter what our best intentions were we couldn't advocate for male stuff with an all female group. It was unbalanced.



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #48
squirrelspit
 
squirrelspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

i noticed your other thread about a male support thread.. you could always make one and see how it goes down.

other than that.. well, im kind of stumped as to what we can do. Its difficult to consider/change/do anything, when there are no suggestions to work from.





squirrelspit is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #49
PropheticStar
 

I think that's a good place to start. If the guys have a place to open up more, then they will become better known, and the mods will have a better idea what sort of person they are. I know there are some guys I have in mind possibly for the future, but that's cause I know them well. Get the guys talking and feeling more comfortable, which helps them, and in turn, they become better known and their chances of possibly being a mod will increase.

 
Old 14-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #50
Duffer44
Cake powered DUFF!!!
 
Duffer44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelspit View Post
i noticed your other thread about a male support thread.. you could always make one and see how it goes down.

other than that.. well, im kind of stumped as to what we can do. Its difficult to consider/change/do anything, when there are no suggestions to work from.
as you may have noticed my wording is lame but the CT are creating the thread to be posted.




________________ ,,,,,,,,,,_
\__(=======/_=_/____.--'-`--.___
..................\ \ . `,--,--.___.----'
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.--`\\--'../
..............'---._____.|]

Duffer44 is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #51
Aidee
 
Aidee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
I am currently:

Suggestions:

Make adding males and official goal, and make that goal known. The staff don't even have to publicize what the criteria are.

Aggressively seek and cultivate males for potential staff roles. (ie affirmative action basically)

Help make males feel welcome at RYL (for all of us, not just the staff)



Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.




Aidee is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #52
squirrelspit
 
squirrelspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotard View Post
There may be ways that RYL could be more welcoming to males, and encourage more males to become and remain active. If this were done more males would become active in the community and some of them would have mod qualities.
Any suggestions?

Duffer (im sorry i dont know your name), youre in the CT right? i think that gives you the perfect oportunity to change things. have you spoken to any other male members and encouraged them to join?





squirrelspit is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #53
PropheticStar
 

The mod system for picking new mods seems to be working just peachy as it is now. We have some fabulous mods, and we picked them all by ourselves *beams*

 
Old 14-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #54
Crysainta
 
Crysainta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:

When I was a mod I generally thought that if a person started asking what they had to do in order to be considered mod material, then they weren't mod material. I'm not saying that to be argumentative or anything. That was just the reality. Expressing interest in it was fine though, as long as it didn't become, "please make me a mod, please make me a mod, please make me a mod" which some people actually did. I don't think all mods that have ever been chosen were good mods, so even after careful consideration mistakes can be made. The criteria that you would need to meet should be obvious after being here awhile. If it isn't, then I still tend to think you probably aren't mod material. That is not directed at anyone in particular. I"m just putting my experience out there.

Crysainta is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #55
Duffer44
Cake powered DUFF!!!
 
Duffer44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelspit View Post

Duffer (im sorry i dont know your name), youre in the CT right? i think that gives you the perfect oportunity to change things. have you spoken to any other male members and encouraged them to join?
Very few know my name just call me Duff or ask a few people in here they will give you a million things to call me :p

do you mean the site or the CT?

If you mean the CT i tried talking one into joining but he didn't want to for his own reason i won't go into. I don't really know any other males on the site as there are a few of us and we cross paths and such or i just don't know there a guy :\

I think there are 3/4 males on the CT. We have a thread about attracting more males to the site which doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast. Maybe dragging that into this board and getting the community would help?




________________ ,,,,,,,,,,_
\__(=======/_=_/____.--'-`--.___
..................\ \ . `,--,--.___.----'
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.--`\\--'../
..............'---._____.|]

Duffer44 is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #56
Aidee
 
Aidee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
I am currently:

Charlie, the CT is currently working on that :)

Or at least trying to, as Duff said, we've kind of hit a wall.



Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.




Aidee is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #57
Crysainta
 
Crysainta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:

Aidey, I said this to you in pm, but I want to say it here too for others to consider. If mods were picked using some sort of affirmative action system, you KNOW people would start saying, "_________ only got picked because he/she is ________________."

Crysainta is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #58
Aidee
 
Aidee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
I am currently:

It's not so much that I think someone should be picked because of a certain trait, I think the intervention should be much earlier on in the process.



Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.




Aidee is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #59
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.
 
griddlebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London.
I am currently:

if someone abuses their mod powers,its not as simple as just getting rid of them,imagine:
'oh,were having to get rid of you because we think youre only doing this this and this to be a mod. Oh by the way, you know all that sensitive info you know about other members,dont tell anyone that.OH and you know the other private mod stuff,yeah dont tell anyone that either'

What do you think would happen.




There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.


griddlebone is offline  
Old 14-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #60
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

There have been mods who've had their mod powers taken away from them before.



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:38 PM.