RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #61
Mandimoo
Mummy!!
 
Mandimoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Newport, South Wales
I am currently:

if it was only me noticing this behaviour then maybe it could be seen that way, however more people have interpreted it this way as well. As for commanding people... i only asked that they followed the rules, i didn't say they couldn't complain or anything like that, just that they remained civil. i still dont see what's wrong with that.



Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #62
PropheticStar
 

If something is said then it should be post reported and the moderators will be happy to sort it out. That's what we're here for. I think, though probably unintentional, but I think that it is disrespectful to the mods to make such a post, for there is the underlying implication that we are not doing our job.

  Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #63
UbermoronicismAgain
Seductive, and a little creepy x
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
I am currently:

Talk about shooting a gun into water! (Made that up, I'm so damn cool).

Loads of effort, no result. This is not only a pointless thread but a pointless subject.
I mean no offence Mandi but this is a discussion that might first have been better had with the mods, and then brought to us by them if they feel there will be a problem made out of it.

He's not here, we don't know why, to be fair I hadn't realised.
3/4? posts compared to a heap of people who are patiently and quietly awaiting his return amongst mods who are working hard to keep the balance correct?

Pardon me for thinking people could make their own minds up about how to behave! If they're pissed off, they say it and if not then they don't.
Surely it would be up to them to act accordingly and if they step over the line then the mods pull them back!

No offence is intended, as I have said, but I do like to put my two pennies in.
Iz x



You might win one battle.
But know this; I'll win the ****ing war.


UbermoronicismAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #64
Stress Free Anxiety
Felicia
 
Stress Free Anxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
I think the point is...RYL would explode if there wasn't at least one current thread full of bickering.
Haha so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropheticStar View Post
If something is said then it should be post reported and the moderators will be happy to sort it out. That's what we're here for. I think, though probably unintentional, but I think that it is disrespectful to the mods to make such a post, for there is the underlying implication that we are not doing our job.
QFT

Stress Free Anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #65
user_name
 
user_name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbermoronicismAgain View Post
Talk about shooting a gun into water! (Made that up, I'm so damn cool).

Loads of effort, no result. This is not only a pointless thread but a pointless subject.
I mean no offence Mandi but this is a discussion that might first have been better had with the mods, and then brought to us by them if they feel there will be a problem made out of it.

He's not here, we don't know why, to be fair I hadn't realised.
3/4? posts compared to a heap of people who are patiently and quietly awaiting his return amongst mods who are working hard to keep the balance correct?

Pardon me for thinking people could make their own minds up about how to behave! If they're pissed off, they say it and if not then they don't.
Surely it would be up to them to act accordingly and if they step over the line then the mods pull them back!

No offence is intended, as I have said, but I do like to put my two pennies in.
Iz x
this post?

user_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #66
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?
 
sherlock holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004

Agree with Iz.



Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.


sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #67
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

Yes iz, you are that cool.

and you are right *nods lots*



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #68
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

huh? me?



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #69
Spork.
-
 
Spork.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Izzie. I think I actually love you.





Spork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #70
Chaos
* Kez *
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wigan, UK
I am currently:

I havent seen any such posts about Harley...



~*~ Proud Cat Owner ~*~


"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." - Leonardo Da Vinci



Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #71
Mandimoo
Mummy!!
 
Mandimoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Newport, South Wales
I am currently:

i give up.
i just hope Harley doesn't see any of the posts, they would hurt him and that's what I was trying to stop.



Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #72
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS
 
Heidi Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nottingham
I am currently:

How would they hurt him?
There's been a few joky mentions about him being away, but I'm guessing he knows he is away, therefore how can he be hurt by a fact that is true?





Reality leaves a lot to the imagination


Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #73
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.
 
griddlebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London.
I am currently:

I feel that maybe this thread is actually bringing more attention to those posts then was necessary....




There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.


griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #74
what_the?
continual crisis
 
what_the?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
I feel that maybe this thread is actually bringing more attention to those posts then was necessary....
QFT





"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."




what_the? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #75
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst
 
The War Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gallifrey
I am currently:

I have to say I agree with Mand... complain if you want, nobody's saying not to. But show some respect! Theres been a distinct lack of it around RYL lately.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #76
Harley
Webmaster
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Scotland
I am currently:

Right well guys I have of course been pushed from multiple directions to see this thread and to say something, but I am not going to spend long defending my reputation when I could be spending the time doing the things I am needed for. But I have been working very hard to be able to return and soon will, so now is as good a time as any to say this to those who I owe it to - the community and perhaps most of all the staff.

The first important point to mention here is those who know me should know better than to think I can be hurt by this thread, and more particularly the chat discussions and private conversations that caused it. I am by now more thick skinned than to allow any form of personal attack affect me. In the last ten years nearly, whether I have been dedicated 50 hours a week or not around at all, I have had more personal insults that most people should get in their lives, had countless people tell me horrible things, watched people silently in chat as they laugh at the potential for me to have a breakdown, and none of that stuck so honestly, as always I am not something that should be considered in this. I am not here for reputation points, I'm not here to be liked and when I a) provide less than I know I could and b) do something genuinely wrong, trust me - my personal feelings on the subject are much harsher than anyone else can dish out.

Providing the sort of dedication and personal sacrifice it takes to run RYL, every day of every year for ten years is a strain I will never be able to put into words. Staff, mods, admins and the members in the community who have exactly the same tools and admin panels as I have access to all volunteer their time according to a massively important rule - the moment THEY need to leave their RYL duties, for a period or for good they are granted that freedom without question because for those dedicating themselves to my duties, their personal needs, health and safety must always been taken into prime conseration, above all else. As everyone can see, I am not granted the same luxury. Add to that the personal hatred developed from every moment when I am not working to help people and you have a cocktail I would not wish on anyone.

And I have indeed failed. As RYL has grown from being something manageable by one person in his spare time to a global support network servicing thousands of people every hour of every day of every year - I have failed to be able to dedicate the same amount of time per person as I could when I personally made sure every single person in the community was okay. I know this more than I can ever be told.

But some have read my absence from RYL as a loss of will, a reduction in dedication, even a lack or care. I am here to tell you that the opposite is true. Sometimes being dedicated to something and being around all the time are not the same thing, sometimes I have to be cruel to be kind, sometimes I have to choose to cost the community something in the short term to do the right thing in the longterm.

The fact is that had I blindly continued what would make me look good, rather than divert my attentions and let the community down, RYL would not have had a future. Running on a single server, now 4 years old with the income coming in not even covering the monthly costs, never mind funding the desperately needed infrastructure upgrades we were simply running on borrowed time with our ability to remain online and able to exist balancing purely on the hope that box doesnt fry itself one day. It took huge work to get that server, it was the only way we were able to provide this quantity or support on this scale for free, and with no adverts but tech has moved on, a lot and a single super server and all the reliability it is possible to build into one machine is not certainty of RYL's future - very far from it.

I have also been faced with huge personal challenges. Challenges that have had to be overcome to be able to finally go back to the role I played in RYL around v2, before I had to fall out of the public eye and set up the staff structure that would ensure RYL would survive without me and the hit by a bus policy could work. It's clear we are not quite there yet, but thanks to a truly amazing team of volunteers we are closer than we have ever been.

It is not possible for one person to run teams totaling over a 100 volunteers all working in timezones spread around the world and at the same time be like people remember me back in the days - I tried and it nearly cost me everything.


This absence has cost me friendships, respect, reputation, support, loyalty, self esteem...the list is long. It has been felt on RYL (by many at least) deeply, and many people know that the last six or twelve months in RYL's history have not been her best, far from it.

But it has gained RYL more than anyone who has been frustrated can imagine. V4 is coming, the infrastructure and financial security of RYL is about to be ensured for the next 10-20 years or more and upon my fast approaching proper return to RYL public duties, and once I have polished off the 'bus policy', I will finally be able to dedicate myself to what I do best, passionately trying to improve RYL in every way.


Thanks to the utterly incredible mod teams and other staff teams, RYL has suffered relatively little. All the behind the scenes systems have remained running. People have remained safe and supported and thanks to James the server has remained flawless - it just hasn't moved forward, and people have always been used to constantly evolution, effort and dedication.


Soon you will all see just how nessesary and massively worthwhile this has been. It will then soon be forgotten, and RYL will be back to thinking all this grows on trees - and I can't wait because I have missed you far, far more than you have missed me.


Harley


Last edited by Harley : 25-02-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #77
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:




"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #78
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.
 
griddlebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London.
I am currently:

thank you harley.x




There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.


griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #79
Narcissism
Boom
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

*glomps harley*
I knew something good was going on.
And Yay V4.



And climb high to the highest rung, to shake fists at the sky.


Narcissism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #80
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.
 
griddlebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London.
I am currently:

have we got to move again? *starts packing*




There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.


griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:26 PM.