RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:
I did it:)

I got accepted to Reading Uni to try and complete my degree!!

After two years out of studying/work because of my mental health I applied to carry on with my degree part time at Reading. It is joint honours, History and English Literature (instead of just History with a bit of German)....and I got accepted today

I won't lie....I am scared...terrified in fact. And there are still some logistical factors to sort out, finances/benefits etc but theoretically....as of 3rd October....I am a uni student again!





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 15-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Busby
 
Busby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: london

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hugs* xx

Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Margo
 
Margo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I am currently:

Oh well done young fellow! Huzzah!

Just make sure with the germanparts you use pleanty of zis and zat!



~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P



Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Too Shy
 
Too Shy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: West Sussex
I am currently:

Congratulations! Well done, that's a huge achievement especially considering everything you've been through. Good luck!

My cousin is starting at Reading Uni this year also.










Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Thank you :), all of you. I am sh*tting myself. My initial excitement, turned to paralysing fear (and other *mental person* thoughts :p). I have kind of restrained that now though and am now in my normal zone just with this other sudden scary possibility thrown into the mix. It is actually kind of bizarre!

I always planned to go to Uni for as long as I can remember, it was kind of engrained in the same way breathing is for most people (unless you are a cyber man, in which case I mean no disrespect and good for you etc etc *insert politically correct crap here*). I did always plan to do it. Not being in uni was hard though and for some STUPID reason being in uni again, in some ways seems even HARDER.

I WILL DO THIS. I WILL MANAGE. What I WANT just seems so 'wrong' though to actually be doing, and I am also scared about failing at it as well! Aaaarrrrgghhhh!

*strips off and redresses in black clothing and starts to write 'soul searching' poetry*

I am really frightened though. Of managing and also not managing. I want to do this. I do.





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Go you! That's brilliant. And I hope you're going to live up to every student stereotype ever




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

I'll do my best :p





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
effervescence
tired
 
effervescence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

Congrats!

You will be fine. You can do it! Just remember to ask for help if you need it. That's what support services and tutors are there for. Can't wait to hear how it goes :)



Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.


effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
crazykat
Fight for another day
 
crazykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia

Congrats :)



"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."


crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Thanks :) I am hoping to go stationary and uni supply shopping with my Grandma next week if she is well enough. I LOVE stationary shopping, much better than clothes shopping in my opinion and my Grandma and Grandpa have taken me almost every year I have been at school/college/uni, ever since I started kindergarden.

See....positive thoughts and actions....kind of :p





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
effervescence
tired
 
effervescence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

I love stationery shopping tooooo :p Is there a shop called Smiggle where you live? It's awesome.



Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.


effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
crazykat
Fight for another day
 
crazykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia

Stationary shopping is the best, I hope you have fun :)



"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."


crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Smiggle? No, I don't think so. Oooooowww *whines*, I just looked on their website. It does look awesome. I want one here. There is a little independent 'trinket' shop near me which sells some pretty cool files and pens and things but it won't have everything I need.





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
effervescence
tired
 
effervescence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

Smiggle is awesome. Maybe you can order online? Their shops are all laid out in colour coordination, it makes me happy.



Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.


effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Lol, thanks for the suggestion. I may look into it.

I went on campus for the first time today! It was really scary but they brought my appointment forward by an hour so I didn't really have time to panic too much or anything. The guy was really nice and showed me the library, students union and where my lectures and seminars would probably be. He also showed me inside one of the rooms so I know what to expect.

They are offering me loads of help and support which is nice but also kind of nerve racking. I also feel kind of pathetic that they have suggested it and think I might need it. There has been a slight hiccup with my credit transfer so it looks like I am going to have to do a straight history degree instead of joint honours (if they accept me for that) which I am a bit disappointed about but trying not to dwell on. I should know by the end of the week hopefully.





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
dollpart
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London
I am currently:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

don't feel ashamed of needing help. everyone deserves the chance to achieve their aims. if your aim is a degree and you need help to get that chance, take it! if you were dyslexic you'd get support. if you had a physical illness you'd get support. plus it looks good on them if you pass- limits their drop-out rate. think of it that way. i did and it helped.

love.

dollpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

So, it's the end of week one - how did you find it?




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #18
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Thanks for the replies. Turns out last week was Fresher's week. I went onto campus to sort out my assistance and some paper work etc. Monday was my first full actual course start date and it did not go according to plan. Over the weekend I had the worst, full blown panic attacks I have had in a couple, if not four or five, years. No sleep/'paranoia' etc also kicked in so I am literally barely sleeping i.e little more than 8 or 9 hours in five days.

I was late to my first seminar because of severe traffic disruption and I went to the door and saw they were starting group work and could not face being late and walking in to a jam packed seminar and then having to do group discussions and presentations. Each one of those thing, individually, made me feel physically sick. I did sort a couple of admin things out though and did then make it to the afternoon lecture. It is really difficult! I guess I should be pleased I managed some of it though and concentrate on that rather than what it took to get there or the negatives x





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #19
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

I just wanted to update to say I am still at Uni and have not dropped out. It is still difficult but I handed in my first piece of assessed work last week and had my mid term review. I even spoke in the seminars the last couple of weeks. I know it is small but it is a big deal for me and I wanted to share something positive for once :)





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
whirlpools
 
Join Date: May 2008

I'm really impressed and proud of your hard work and tenacity, Emma. Small steps are good :)

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:13 AM.