RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
scared about moving in alone

Ok so in the next few weeks I'll be moving into my own one bedroom flat that I'm renting, after being kicked out of my last flat (which I shared with one other guy) suddenly, through no fault of my own, I had a long chat with my mum and we both came to the conclusion that me having my own flat and my own space would be much better for me.
I'm looking forward to it, but it suddenly dawned on me how **** scared I am, this is the first time I will be responsible for sorting out bills, setting up internet etc. With my DLA, student loan, parents money, and the odd gig I can afford it, but I'm still scared about all the bills etc.
This is a big step for me and it just dawned on me how terrified i actually am.

If anyone has any advice, or just a bit of support it would be grately appreciated.
Cheers Oliver



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Jefferson.Meriwether
This is Sparta
 
Jefferson.Meriwether's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009

It can be a bit daunting at first living by yourself. About 6 & a half years ago I moved out of my parents home into my own place; it was the first time living away from my parents. I moved 185 miles to start a new job on the railway (Never worked on the railway before.) so I was learning a brand new job whilst at the same time learning how to fend for myself and I was miles away from my parents. It was quite scary at times but one of the best things I ever did.

One thing I found helpful was having friends to meet up with on a regular basis; that way I wasn't at home all by myself feeling bored very often. One thing I wish I'd done was getting into the habit of paying bills promptly & on time instead of constantly being 2/3 days late paying them.

Don't know if this post is any help at all.


Last edited by Jefferson.Meriwether : 10-04-2011 at 12:57 AM.


Tiff is my RYL Mum
Sefka is my RYL Sis

Jefferson.Meriwether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

The first month is the hardest, but once you've sorted out when the bills come in and how you go about paying them, you can get into some sort of routine.

I've always found the first few nights of being alone in a new place a bit hard, just lying in bed wondering repeatedly if I've remembered to lock the door and listening out for new sounds.
But once you get past that (and it passes pretty quickly) living alone is awesome, you can be as slobby or obsessive as you want, you can put up mad decorations, there's nobody else you have to consider. It's great. But like Jefferson said, it's good to have friends to meet up with regularly - I find it too easy to become incredibly reclusive when I live alone.

All the best for the move - I really hope you like it!




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

thank you both



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
sazybel
Me and my little black raincloud
 
sazybel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brighton
I am currently:

good luck. moving in alone is something im going to have to do soon. hope it goes well for you

sazybel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
-Asphyxia-
-loser-
 
-Asphyxia-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midwest, USA
I am currently:

I got my first apartment when I was....19 after living in the dorms my first year of college (I'll be 26 next week). I remember when my parents left, I was like, "WTF am I going to do now?" lol I wasn't used to having my own space like that.....Initially, I was really lonely, but I also had a difficult time making friends my first 3 (yes, 3! pathetic, I know) years of school......I basically never went out or anything, which didn't help matters...then I started drinking a bit heavily....I'm not saying you'll go down the same path, because I eventually came to love living alone and actually hated the year I had a roommate.....But I think my biggest bit of advice would get involved in extracuriculars - volunteer at the humane society, join a club if you're in school, etc. Hell, just going to concerts/shows you can meet people too. Hobbies also help to pass the time - learn an instrument, write, etc.

As far as bills go....I've never really had issues with not paying on time. However, a lot of places in the US do paperless billing and can send you emails before they are due, and I think some can even send you a text and do automotic withdrawls from your checking or savings account. I only use the latter for one bill because I don't have a good enough job to know if I'll have the $ in my checking for everything....lol. Another tip, bills are always sent around the same time each month, so after a few months, you can gauge when they will be due and write them on your calendar.

If you want to talk more, feel free to PM me. I know it's a little weird to be on your own at first, but it really does give you a feeling of independence. Sorry for the lengthy reply. hehehe



-poisonous-



-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

thanks everyone. well I now have an official moving date which is this coming sunday.



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

How are you feeling about it now?

Enjoy the packing (you're gonna have so much bubble wrap to play with!!!!)




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

I feel ok, scared cos I don't know who has to inform the utilities etc. and I'm scared about the first lot of bills, but I'm also excited about getting there and having my own space.



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Hmmmm... not sure how that would work. Do you mean the flat's empty and you have to contact someone to get the utilities turned on again? Or do you just need to get everything in your name?

Focus on the excitment for now




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

I mean the utilities need to be put in my name.



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Oh, okay. I don't really know - I've only rented twice in UK, once was a student house and on a card meter and the other, the bills just stayed in the landlords name. But I'm sure your landlord will tell you :)
Sorry - a bit useless.




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

yeah I'm meeting the landlord on thursday with the estate agents so i shall ask then, thanks though



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Emo
OLDER THAN SPACE AND TIME - THE TARDIS
 
Emo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I am currently:

the landlord should know who is giving you the utilities then you need to call them and tell them your name etc and that should be it .

Am sure you will be fine and will love having your own place





Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

Thanks everyone.
Moving day is tomorrow, where I am also meeting the landlord for the first time, but my parents will also be there.
I'm nerous and excited.



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes x




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
frenchhorn
Oliver
 
frenchhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

Thank you. I shall do once I've got my internet sorted.



"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.




frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
Dreaming.
You are free.
 
Dreaming.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England.
I am currently:

Hope everything is going well for you, Oliver.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

Getting the Internet sorted = first priority! You can unpack later ;)




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
~Grace~
 
Join Date: Jun 2007

Good luck Oliver....hope the move goes well hun xx

~Grace~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 PM.