RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   alcohol support/counselling (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71863)

Spoons 08-11-2008 01:35 AM

alcohol support/counselling
 
ok so apparently i have a drink problem, psych sent me to some alcohol place and my first app is monday.

what happens there?
i havent got a clue.... are they going to pack me off to aa or what?

anyone have any expereince???

im sorry this isnt very clear

quautia 08-11-2008 11:39 AM

I've never been to an Alcohol Support Service, so I don't have any direct experience.

However, from what I know, most Alcohol Support Services are based on 'controlled drinking' and the aim is to lower your alcohol consumption to healthy and controllable levels.

I know lots of people who've come to AA after having tried controlled drinking, but I've not heard of anyone being refered to, or sent to AA from a counsellor. AA is an abstinence based programme.

I'm in AA, so if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask :)

shandy 11-11-2008 09:14 AM

Hi Spoons, sorry to hear you have a problem with drinking. I go to a counsellor from alcohol services. What can i say, shes fantastic, out of all my counsellors cbt people cpns etc, shes been the one and only person who knows where im coming from, lol, enough about me.

When you first go they take a history as does everyone, maybe over 2 sessions, then you go from there, ive been seeing this lady over 12 months now and am currently awaiting rehab.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to ask anything.

ps. we hardly ever talk about drink in out meetings :whistling:

RazorKissBrad 11-11-2008 10:06 PM

The first time it will basically involve you going there and them asking some questions, firstly just to get to know you, your social life, school, outlook on your future. That kind of thing. Also they will want to ask about your drinking history and all that. It takes a little while to actually observe the benefits of any type of drug councilling. I would say, one major thing to think about, as in your post you said "ok so apparently i have a drink problem" no amount of concelling or AA is going to help you in any way unless you understand that you might have a problem and that you have some desire to quit. I say that out of personal experience, so keep at it and I'm sure you'll be able to help yourself in a matter of time.

shandy 20-11-2008 06:13 PM

How did you get on?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.