RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   chuck palahniuk. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39741)

linder surprise 16-03-2008 01:13 AM

chuck palahniuk.
 
i know there has been a thread on him before (probably many), but they are all long dead, so here's another.
plus. the "quotes" thread made me nostalgic for his books.

i'm sure quite a few/most people have read books by him & apart from just "omg fight club is so good!!11" any other comments?

what have you read? comments on plot/characters?
what are you looking to read?

in order of preference (starting with favourite), i have read:
choke.
fight club.
survivor.
lullaby.
invisible monsters.
diary.

autosuggestion 16-03-2008 01:32 AM

My favourite author.

More tomorrow when brain is working.

Spoons 16-03-2008 01:39 AM

Invisible Monsters.
Survivor
Diary
Fight Club
Choke.

I think i need to re read choke, i just couldnt get into it, its the only palahniuk book i have read that i dont love to pieces.

i want to read rant, i still havent bought it.
I have started lullaby so many times but i have never finished it.

But survivor and invisible monsters are my two fave books ever.

"birds ate my face"
after reading invisible monsters i was bringing up quotes in random convos for weeks.

linder surprise 16-03-2008 01:44 AM

haha. i read the first maybe two chapters of invisible monsters years ago as an e-book, and the only thing i could remember was "birds ate my face."
i bought the book last year or so, and man, i love that quote. it just means so many different things.
it was my signature on here for ages.

i read fight club first (obv) &then choke was the second. i don't know, i love it so much. it's probably one of my favourite books ever, if not my favourite. i haven't read it in a while though. but just tonight, when i was looking through it to find the quote for the other thread, i was flicking through trying to find the quote & i was like "owhh. this book is amazing."

anyway. i will stop rambling.

edit;; and really? diary above fight club? i didn't really enjoy diary at all. maybe it's because i rushed it and read it at like 3am every night for about a week, but there was something about it that i just found.. boring, i guess.

Ash* 16-03-2008 01:45 AM

Just keep asking yourself: 'What would Jesus NOT do?'

Spoons 16-03-2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister linda. (Post 629855)
haha. i read the first maybe two chapters of invisible monsters years ago as an e-book, and the only thing i could remember was "birds ate my face."

edit;; and really? diary above fight club? i didn't really enjoy diary at all. maybe it's because i rushed it and read it at like 3am every night for about a week, but there was something about it that i just found.. boring, i guess.

maybe they are level, im not sure, i havent read fight club for ages. Whereas Diary was the last palahniuk book ive read and i found it different to other palahniuk books, it was still wonderfully twisted, i guess it was just more imaginative, i dunno, theres just something about it that i really liked.

Survivor was the first palahniuk book i read. I then read choke, which actually put me off starting other palahniuk books for a while but then i found invisible monsters for really cheap and read that. Im still not sure what i prefer survivor or invisible monsters, they keep replacing each other at the top.

Useless Information 101 16-03-2008 03:08 AM

My favorites from Chuck Palahniuk are Invisible Monsters (I could reread that every week and still love it), Lullaby, Fight Club, and Rant, but I enjoyed all of his books.

Diary is possibly my least favorite, I didnt really like the conspiracy bit.

Haunted lives up to its name for suree. I was a bit disgusted after reading it, and didn't like it for awhile, but parts of it kept coming back to me and I think the fact that its so gory is why I really like it now.

Palahniuk is definitely one of my favorite authors. I love his writing style and nihilistic tone most of his books have.
I like when lines of his cross over into different books too, it gives me little goosebumps haha.

xfallenangelx 16-03-2008 08:49 AM

i love him, i need to read more of his books
xx

autosuggestion 16-03-2008 05:22 PM

Choke is my favourite too, there was just so much interwoven and such a great anti-hero.

Lullaby freaked me out but in a totally good way.

Chuck's books are just so fricking clever and funny and modern and dark and overall well-written, gets me every time.

Spoons 16-03-2008 05:44 PM

What did everyone think of Rant? I havent had the chance to read it yet. How does it compare to his other books? better/ worse?

Jukebox 16-03-2008 06:22 PM

Rant is the only one I haven't read. Lullaby is my favourite, easily. I think Fight Club is a bit boring to be honest.

He's a really good author, but not the best ever or anything.

mmmMinty... 16-03-2008 06:53 PM

I've read his short story, guts. Its disgusting.
But its good.

Useless Information 101 16-03-2008 07:23 PM

Rant is seriously one big mindf*** hahah I cant describe it any other way. Its so good though, its different from his other books but it still resembles the other ones.
I had to read it twice after that ending, to fully 'get it'.

RandomIdiot 16-03-2008 07:42 PM

I've read lullaby, i loved it. i also read guts, i thought it was nasty. but i good short story. i want to read all of haunted.

Aphelion 16-03-2008 09:51 PM

OMG fight club was so goodd!!1111111oneone

Ooops. Slipped.

linder surprise 18-03-2008 10:43 PM

i don't know why but neither guts or rant really appeal to me.
i haven't heard much about them though.

Dreamer And Believer 19-03-2008 06:16 AM

I just finished Invisible Monsters, the first of his I've read.
effing brilliant, in my opinion. Can't wait to read more. a guy at school is supposed to lend me Choke & one other, can't remember which, but I'm psyyyyched.

Race The Dream 19-03-2008 08:27 PM

Fricking hell, I love Chuck Palahniuk

Diary is my favourite :)

*Scarlett* 20-03-2008 08:08 PM

I'm just reading choke now. Not read much yet but it seems ok.

destructogirl 20-03-2008 08:39 PM

i love palahniuk
read almost all of them- not rant or non fiction though

lullaby or invisible monsters are my favourites
haunted is probably my least, good individual stories, but the overall plotline was a little weak i felt
also i LOVED choke.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.