RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   *Possibly Triggering* Actual Mental Health Issues or Overreacting? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235081)

untoldbattles 24-08-2015 06:00 PM

*Possibly Triggering* Actual Mental Health Issues or Overreacting?
 
Hey, I've decided to seek some advice here as I've been really uncertain about a few things. This post may be a bit long so I apologise in advance.

Anyway, I've been self-harming for nearly 2 years now, starting about October 2013. At that point of time, I was feeling particularly down and gloomy. I'm pretty sure it's not that kind of sadness that one would classify under any sort of "normal" spectrum. I couldn't get myself to do any of my schoolwork. I was sleeping throughout most of my classes, resulting in a drastic drop in my grades. It'd be a lie if I said that I've never had suicidal thoughts. A few months after this intense feeling of sadness set in ( it refused to go away, no matter how hard I tried to make myself feel better ), I started turning to self-harm to cope with everything. Fast forward about 4 months later, to about late February or early March. It was the first time in those 4 months that I finally felt something other than the unusual intense wave of sadness. I was feeling mentally stable all of a sudden, and I didn't know why. I thought everything was back to normal again. I thought the "wave of sadness" was just a phase that I would never have to deal with ever again. I was wrong. About 3-4 weeks later, I felt sad again, although this time it wasn't as bad as the previous "episode". This so-called cycle of crashing down into intense feelings of sadness has never really stopped since it started, although I felt my absolute worst during the first episode of sadness. I'll be fine for a bit, but then inevitably crash right back down again. This has led me to the conclusion that I may have Bipolar II. I haven't talked much about the possible hypomanic/manic episodes that I have experienced so I'll do that right now. I'd be up late into the late and only fall asleep between 2am-4am amd get up at 5am for school. Despite the fact that I had only a few hours of sleep, I'd still be able to function pretty well for the rest of the day. What I do when I'm up? I'll mostly be studying, getting schoolwork done or make the random decision to clean my room. It's also not uncommon for people to tell me things like " Why are you talking so fast? " / " What did you say? Can you repeat it? " / " Why are you so talkative all of a sudden ". The thing is, people say that I talk reallly fast most of the time when really, I always think that they're the slow ones, and not me.

I've never really thought about the possibility of having Bipolar II ( or maybe I? ) until the beginning of this year, when I came across a website showing the symptoms of Bipolar disorder. I've been experiencing quite a significant number of them and hence think I may indeed have Bipolar Disorder ( not sure how far along on the Bipolar spectrum, though )
I've experienced the following:

Hypomania
- Needing less sleep in order to feel rested
- Talking very rapidly or excessively
- Distractibility
- Fast thoughts
- Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity -- unrealistic beliefs in one's ability, intelligence, and powers
Regarding grandiosity, there are times when I feel that I'm better than everyone else. I also believe that I have superpowers such as being able to teleport, super hearing powers ( it's as if I can amplify sounds ) and fly.

Depression
- Feeling sad or blue
- Loss of energy ( I oversleep often )
- Difficulty concentrating
- Low energy
- Feeling physically or mentally sluggish or restless and agitated
- Increased need for sleep
- Thoughts of death or suicide

I've also gone through some traumatic events in my life that I won't mention, unless any of you want me to if you think the events may be related to what I'm feeling. ( I'm 15, turning 16, if that matters ) Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it out of the norm to feel this way?

Thanks for reading and I apologise for the long-winded post.
Any advice / help is greatly appreciated.

Unbreakable. 24-08-2015 07:00 PM

You really need to discuss this with your doctor.
I can't say whether or not it is Bipolar, but it sounds like something you need support with asap.

untoldbattles 26-08-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha Bitch Reloaded (Post 3947072)
You really need to discuss this with your doctor.
I can't say whether or not it is Bipolar, but it sounds like something you need support with asap.

The thing is, not a single person around me knows any of the information that I have shared above. I am totally clueless as to how I am supposed to approach and tell my parents about everything. As of now, I don't feel ready to open up to them about this.. Even though I have to admit that I know it's an issue that I ought to seek help for, I can't bring myself to do so..

Also, thank you for replying

Iamcatbug 26-08-2015 06:31 PM

Might I enquire as to why you can't seek help? Is there something that is causing you concern about seeking help?

Would it be possible to speak to a teacher at school or another adult in your life?

untoldbattles 29-08-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcatbug (Post 3947512)
Might I enquire as to why you can't seek help? Is there something that is causing you concern about seeking help?

Would it be possible to speak to a teacher at school or another adult in your life?

I'm afraid that nobody will believe me. That they will think I'm overreacting and being an attention seeker. I might be able to see the school counsellor but I'm certain that she'll end up calling my parents. That's what happened when I recently went to her to ask for advice on how to help one of my friends who seemed depressed and was self-harming. That's exactly what I don't want to happen ; my parent's finding out.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.