RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Delibrate brusing (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159831)

running 09-03-2011 12:39 AM

Delibrate brusing
 
I have recently taken up this form of self harm and was wondering if anyone else does it too and knows any way to stop it as I have no clue.

Confused_Reality 09-03-2011 12:48 AM

I do this too. So just so you know I'm here with you. Would like some advice also...

Celticroots 09-03-2011 01:00 AM

Hitting myself is one of my main forms of self-harm. To stop, you need to find out why you self-injure. Any type of self-harm is a symptom of a deeper problem, and you can't begin to recover until you find out what function bruising yourself serves for you.

You may want to get help from a therapist concerning this. It may be scary, but some therapists are really good and can help. I am currently in therapy partly for my self-harm, and I found it helpful in finding out why I SI. If you can't find out why you self-harm immediatly, that's okay. Be patient with yourself. With hard work and insight, you'll begin to find out why you SI.

If you feel triggered, you should try and do something that keeps your hands busy. Getting exercise also helps. You could: journal, play an online game, go to the gym, paint or a draw a picture, knit or crochet. You could also get a punching bag to punch when you're triggered.

You're not alone! *big hugs*

PassedExpectations 09-03-2011 01:01 AM

i think that alot of the same methods for avoiding cutting or burning can be used for bruising as well. the other coping mechanisms and distractions. can you identify what the emotion or situation behind wanting to bruise yourself? if you can figure out what that is, you can figure out a way to express it differently and get through it without hurting yourself.

Confused_Reality 09-03-2011 01:02 AM

Thanks celticroots. Its so nice to feel like other people understand how I feel.

running 09-03-2011 01:03 AM

Thanks guys but I tend to do it at night and am not easily diracted. I still dont know why I s/h so i best try and find that out first. Thanks x

Ettie 09-03-2011 01:07 AM

I struggle with bruising.
sometimes its in an atempt not to do other stuff.
Just showing support!!

MunchBox 09-03-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ettie (Post 2723798)
I struggle with bruising.
sometimes its in an atempt not to do other stuff.
Just showing support!!


Mad Dps 09-03-2011 06:32 AM

I do the same thing...altho sometimes i would hit myself in places that people could see...hoping that someone would notice and ask.
I know i'm really not helping, but i felt like letting this out. =)

Lissy10 09-03-2011 10:30 AM

I sometimes do this.
Although I don't really know any suggestions.
I usually bruise to distract from cutting or burning, so I kinda feel like I don't need to be distracted from bruising...but I guess that's wrong.

Hope you find something that helps to distract you.

x

running 09-03-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Dps (Post 2723953)
I do the same thing...altho sometimes i would hit myself in places that people could see...hoping that someone would notice and ask.
I know i'm really not helping, but i felt like letting this out. =)

I do it on placess where people notice but I cant stand them to see. Its not bad that you want people to see tho it shows you want help xxxx

GlitterTrashDoll 10-03-2011 03:01 AM

I know alot of people that do this, so I just wanted to let you know that you are definetly not alone.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.