RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   My girlfriend says I'm dependant on alcohol... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147182)

Schleier von Dunst 20-09-2010 03:06 PM

My girlfriend says I'm dependant on alcohol...
 
... but I refuse to believe her... So she says I'm in denial. It's not long until I'm 18, and she says she's worried that I'll become a "proper" alcoholic. She says that the only reason I don't drink right now is because I don't have much access to it when my parents are home, and I can't buy it. She says that when I can buy it, I might get really bad.

I don't drink as much as I used to, before we were together, and before August. I drink less than I used to. But if I can, I'll lace things with vodka or Brandy, or I'll have a beer or cider when I can. I don't self harm any more, in the sense of cutting/burning/overdosing, but when I feel bad I like to drink it away. I often get cravings which sometimes drive me crazy if I can't get hold of any drink, and sometimes I'll have an anger attack if I can't get any. But I don't want to believe it. I'm not an addict. I'm not an alcoholic... I don't want to believe it.

Schleier von Dunst 22-09-2010 03:51 PM

... I'm sorry.

HarryMonk 22-09-2010 05:20 PM

its a young age to have them thoughts & stuff. See a doc mate. Tell them what you just said there buddy.

Harry Monk x

Schleier von Dunst 22-09-2010 05:38 PM

When I had a psychiatrist, I mentioned it to him once, and he glossed right over it. He barely mentioned it. He just didn't care. Which made me not really care... Would they listen more if I was over 18? It's only a month til I am....

Sigma 23-09-2010 09:10 AM

It's not a good road to go down, like Harry said. Are you seeing a counsellor or psych at the moment?

Schleier von Dunst 23-09-2010 04:45 PM

Not any more. I stopped going in about November because I didn't trust them any more.

Cryptic. 29-09-2010 01:09 PM


Hey lovely,
I would suggest maybe seeing someone until then, can you see a Crisis Team or anything? Is there anyone around your area who could help? What about AA?

You may not be an alcoholic but it does sound like you have alcohol problems, it sounds like you abuse alcohol & use it for the wrong reasons & at times maybe you are dependent on it?

Your girlfriend seems to care a lot about you, & seems very concerned for when you are of legal age to buy alcohol, what are your plans with that? Do you intend on buying alcohol a lot? Does it cross your mind? Do you feel you have urges to binge drink just to fade from reality?
If so, it does sound like you're heading onto becoming an alcoholic.

I really think you should get some help, I'd go to your GP with this & maybe print it off & talk to them about this, they can help you.

x

Sigma 04-10-2010 07:14 AM

^ as Sarawr says, it sounds as if it would be a good idea to get help. If your last counsellor didn't work out your Dr may be able to refer you to someone else?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.