RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Intrusive Thoughts (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145391)

Lib. 29-08-2010 04:52 PM

Intrusive Thoughts
 
Hi all. I have spoken to someone on chat about some of this and she's been very helpful but I have a question.

I have normal intrusive thoughts, self destructive ones, moreso lately as things have kind of peaked in stress levels with family circumstances.

I am also having other 'abnormal' intrusive thoughts that aren't self destructive, upsetting, just normal memories that I'm not adverse to having, but they ARE interfering with my day to day life as I am re-living things and completely losing touch with reality during those times. Not reliving abuse or anything 'bad', just normal childhood memories, but its still interupting and they are all sort of... tainted with feelings of anxiety. I don't know if I felt anxious as a child, most of my childhood I don't remember, including most of the incedents of abuse that I am told have happened.

Does anyone else get these 'flashbacks' of non-abusive, non-destructive times that just feel heart-renderingly sad? I feel like I'm watching a movie about a different person, not myself as a child, and I feel incredibly sad for her but not like it has anything to do with me if that makes sense.

Sorry for rambling. :) Hot chocolate for anyone who managed to negotiate all that nonsense :)

Stellata 29-08-2010 05:37 PM

Yes, totally. A lot of the time. I just hold me and child me tenderly and use the moments to extend my understanding.

Sefka 29-08-2010 09:15 PM

Yeah, I get this - not just childhood but any point in the past. It's not nice when you 'wake up' from it - for me that's the worst part.
Maybe writing down what you flash back to could help, there might be a pattern in there somewhere.
All the best
xx

akita 30-08-2010 04:42 AM

Yeah I get intrusive thoughts most days, mostly about how stupid, ugly and fat I am but also thoughts of self harming in a way that I've not done before even though I am 2 years free. Can you work on the thoughts with your psychologist?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.