RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What are your triggers? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131988)

asc 04-04-2010 07:49 PM

What are your triggers?
 
I went two years without SH, then slipped back in this last year. I have certain things which trigger me and wonder how they compare with yours.

. Loneliness - feeling I don't belong
. Not having a family
. Being retired - not part of the workforce
. Physical pain
. Tiredness
. People going behind my back or breaking confidences
. Late nights or irregular sleeping patterns because of things which have to be done
. Feeling I have done or said something stupid
. After losing my temper
. The backlog of housework - disgust with myself
. Sadness at losing my little pets
. Computer or printer breakdowns when I have a lot to do

StarryEyed. 04-04-2010 09:54 PM

Stress - college, job etc.
Failing
Not being good enough
Feeling down for whatever reason
Not being able to sleep
After getting angry

Jefferson.Meriwether 04-04-2010 10:21 PM

Binge eating - feel like punishing myself
Alcohol - booze knocks me off my baseline

ebec11 04-04-2010 10:50 PM

Being behind in school sometimes triggers the depression, which triggers the feelings of SI. But really, I SI when I'm depressed most of the time (the scab picking is all the time, for no real reason) so I just don't really know what causes the depression.

Rhuben 04-04-2010 10:57 PM

Whenever my voices tell me that I have to purge the nano-machines that circulate in my blood stream.

SheHasHope 04-04-2010 11:22 PM

Fighting with my parents.
Being alone.
Sadness for whatever reason.
Not being happy with how I look.
Being tired but can't sleep.
Something not going right.

Then there's things on movies, internet, songs, etc. But I won't get into too much detail.

DestroyMe 05-04-2010 12:08 AM

loneliness
when my ED kicks into high gear
failure
pressure
rejection
racing thoughts
depression
things not going the right way when they've ben planned for months
getting lower then a B on anything
fighting with my mother
having people tell me I'm wrong for how I feel
having people tell me I'm wrong for having emotions
feeling numb
feeling "fake" (like I'm not real)
whenever the voices in my head get too loud
losing huge chunks of time and finding out that I've done things I normally wouldn't do (I have DID)
the overwhelming pressure to be better then what I am
the pressure to be perfect

taz35 05-04-2010 12:30 AM

Fighting, arguing, being insulted by my parents. A lot of it stems from my hatred/love for them.
Random comments, feeling like a failure in school
And the constant paranoia that people are judging everything I do or say.
I guess the depression would be a trigger too... but not all the time. It's more of a secondary trigger.

hope.is.overrated 05-04-2010 12:33 AM

what triggers me:
 
- feeling sad
- feeling depressed
- feeling lonely
- when I am angry
- when I am numb
- when I am feeling useless
- when I am agitated and anxious
- when I don't get the job I apllied for (I feel useless, worthless and depressed for days)
- feeling like I am loser and a failure
- when I am disconnected from the world and from myself
- when I am stressed
- when I feel pressured by something or someone
- when I don't fit in
- when I need to vent, in need of an outlet
- when I am feeling morbid and acting impulsively
- sometimes, when I am drunk
- when I push myself too hard to do something and make it work
-when I have a sensorial overload

Lollirot 05-04-2010 06:01 AM

Feeling weak - lonely/useless/incapable
Feeling angry, very depressed or anxious
Feeling overwhelmed - uni/negative thoughts
Food - Binging mainly, but also not eating when I should
Substances - I get curious about whether it'll feel different
Social situations especially when I feel out of place
Boredom
When I'm numb and/or things don't seem real
When I feel trapped
The smell of blood
When I need to punish myself

There's probably more, I don't know

amy_ 05-04-2010 09:02 AM

when i feel alone, outcast, not realyy part of this word ,that wat i do is just wat my parents say for attention that i do it because i want to ,school,grades, freinds ,people bring it up when i hear them talking about it behind my back,name calling , empy felling,numb, thinking more about it when everything is ok and good just to stop the feeling and to stop feeling worse ,guilt,people with no cuts or scars and then happy nowing i will never be that ,

butterflymom 05-04-2010 01:36 PM

feeling like no one cares
if i feel like my husband is mad at me for something
when my husband is down about something and i feel like i should be able to help him, but can't
when i want to purge
when i get angry (with myself for getting mad at others...it always think it's my fault)
when i feel socially awkward or uncomfortable (i always think i sound and look like a moron when i talk to just about anyone)

Hannah Montana 05-04-2010 03:12 PM

Anything will trigger me if i'm in the wrong state of mind.

Intaytia 05-04-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah Montana (Post 2222212)
Anything will trigger me if i'm in the wrong state of mind.

This is so true, but specifics can be...
- lonliness
- feeling low
- college pressure
- high expectations of self
- fear of future
- guilt
- ashamed of feelings for other people
- sometimes hate self for being a lesbian/confused by one solitary guy
- tiredness
- depression
- physical pain (not PMT though...)
- bordom
- stress
- arguments with family/self
- feeling ugly/fat
- saying things that I shouldn't have

starseeker 05-04-2010 05:05 PM

when i feel alone
some songs trigger me
flashbacks get me nearly every time
when i fail
when i feel fat

Successful.Failure 05-04-2010 06:05 PM

The sad thing is, is that I don't really need a trigger. I do it when I'm bored, when I feel like it, when I'm not doing anything, even when I'm perfectly happy. It's just something I automatically do.

Though I have terrible tempter, and I tend to not show myself any mercy when that comes about.

sillyoldme 05-04-2010 09:38 PM

lonliness, no sense of belonging, feeling like people are laughing at me or don't want me around (or feeling like i've done something stupid), getting into situations that i can't get myself out of, knowing what a problem is but not being able to do anything about it and feeling trapped

Race The Dream 06-04-2010 12:30 AM

- Stress
- Arguments with my family/boyfriend/friends
- General self-loathing
- That feeling that everything is pointless
- Anger
- Music about depression or self harm
- Eating too much
- Old memories

Cally 06-04-2010 03:15 PM

-After eating chocolate or something fatty
-Anxiety
-Emptyness
-Physical Pain
-Feeling Irritated or annoyed
-Lonelyness
-Feeling inadaquete
-Feeling Fat
-Emotional Hurt
- Being letdown
-Thinking about self harm too much
-Sometimes no reason at all i just do it

NeonHaze 06-04-2010 03:19 PM

It used to be loads of different things, but now its mainly
Anger
Knowing I cant do anything to help someone


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.