RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Pot_Steve
Genetically Flawed

I am currently:
Need help with the doctor!

I need help. I have to go to see my doctor next Friday because I suffer from migraines. Well, I used to suffer and then they cleared up for a while when I got glasses. Now they're coming back again and it's worrying me, hence the appointment with my GP. The problem is, my doctor doesn't know I SI, and I'd like it to stay that way, but if he want to take my blood pressure then he'll find out. What should I do? How do I handle this situation?

"Though, the sick wished not to part with their disease,
As if it made them feel alive"

Don't disrespect my family...
-jen- is my little jelly bean.

Pot_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
*Beth*
Beth

I am currently:

It really depends on whether you would be ok discussing it if he asks you about your scars/cuts.

I was in the exact same situation a few years ago (even down to it being for migraines!). My GP noticed my scars but didn't really react, which for me at the time was good.

I think it depends completely on the severity of your scars/cuts and on the individual GP whether they will say anything. You need to decide whether you will discuss it if it is mentioned, or whether you would rather not. Either way your GP will have to accept that, they can't force you to talk about it. It might be a plan to think ahead of your response if he asks, but what that response is has to be entirely your decision hun.

The most likely thing if he sees your arms is he will offer you some sort of therapy... would you consider it if he did?

*Beth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Jayda
I get lei'd in Vet's!

I am currently:

GP can't do much for just scars. And like Lizzie said, it all depends on the severity of the scars. And where are they on your arm? If they're on your wrist, you could always wear bracelets or arm band to keep them covered. If its only on one arm, be the first one to offer the opposite arm. If not, stay confident, there's really not much they can do but offer you help. If you don't want to talk about it, just tell them. And it's not a bad thing to get help, but only if you want it.

1-800-448-3000
Anyone can call, at any age, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call free of charge
from anywhere in the United States, the U.S. Territories and Canada. The people
on the other end are trained crisis counselors.

http://www.boystown.org/hotline/index.asp

Jayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
morganalefay

I am currently:

I had the same worry, i was going to the hospital to discuss my migranes and they needed to take my blood pressure. Do you SI on both arms? cos if you only do it on one only offer the arm that you done for the blood pressure to be taken. If not just ignore the scars and hope the dr does too...or come with ready made escuses/or ready to talk i guess.
Good Luck

morganalefay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Sofie

I am currently:

I was worried about this a while back when I had some (mild) problems after having blood test. I think doctors won't say anything unless they're worried about you and if they do say anything, it's to do with a duty of care.

Sofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
jessye

I am currently:

Heya.

Yeah doctors generally don't get too involved as they're just treating what you came to them for help with but they will offer to let you discuss it if you want/need to. So just brave it and go along. You won't have any trouble.
Let us know how it goes k?

x

What doesn't kill you can only **** you up for a really really long time...

jessye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
OneLonelyTree

I am currently:

if you wear a tight-ish long sleeve t-shirt they should be able to take your pressure through it...GP's tend not to know much about SI as a rule...mine knows and just lists it as "risk taking activeties" like drinking and having sex. he doesnt really care. yours will prolly be the same. just roll with it and if he does ask just be honest...its way easier then lying!!!

Izzy

OneLonelyTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Hannah_x
Scientist

I am currently:

I had to have my blood pressure taken a while back and had the same sort of dilemma, if you have one arm with less severe scars offer that one.
I also wore armwarmers which I wasn't asked to take off which could be an idea ?
x

If you love me, won't you let me know.

We saw you in distraction; a sleeping, slow despair.

Hannah_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Starburst
After all this has passed, I still will remain

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah_x View Post
I also wore armwarmers which I wasn't asked to take off which could be an idea ?
I was also going to suggest this. Or you could wear a thin long-sleeved shirt under what you're wearing and just roll up your sleeve to show the shirt underneath.

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Pot_Steve
Genetically Flawed

I am currently:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I SI on both arms, no lower than my elbow, and this whole thing is driving me crazy because I really don't trust my doctor. I've had experiences with him in the past where I've not been taken entirely too seriously, and I'm pretty convinced he's just going to dismiss this as me "being silly" or something along those lines.

Damnit, I hate my doctor so much. If I wasn't about to lose my job over the migraines I wouldn't be going...

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
OneLonelyTree

I am currently:

if the cut are on your upper arms they should be able to take your pressure on your lower forarm. i know this for sure. thats how i make my doctors do it when i have to get it done. i tell them i have bad arms and need them to use my forarm...

OneLonelyTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Pot_Steve
Genetically Flawed

I am currently:

I'll give that one a try as well, thank you. I'll let you all know how it went on Friday...

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)