RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-07-2022, 09:58 PM   #101
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

Sit down and chat with the oven for a bit. Finn and I find that's the best way to gauge how it's feeling regarding baked goods.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #102
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

So that's a vote for making the full batch? I'm posting them to you if they're too hard and I don't want them!

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #103
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

Ite.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Old 27-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #104
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

I also want vegan cookies
Make two batches!!!

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #105
Auror.
Camden

Do you have to put them all in at once?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 12:49 AM   #106
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Camden is actually making a really reasonable suggestion there!

Also, I guess there were *multiple* ways of not understanding what I was asking
alas!

erm, so making food would rarely be an issue as I don't do that a lot.
But what if a vegan wants a fried egg????
Do you just ... not???
I think mostly, I'd be eating either a sandwich with egg, which apparently, M&S has a vegan version of that I thought was fine. Or, I would have some fried eggs. Which would be so much harder to make without the egg.

Cheese substitutions do seem to depend a lot on the exact purpose.
I guess for me, sliced cheese for putting on a sandwich or cheese for melting on a toastie/on the nudelauflauf would be most likely how I'd use it. Or just to put it on pasta.

I got some vegan parmesan from ASDA for now and don't feel like it is too bad. But I am not gonna sprinkle that on a sandwich, am I?

Also, chocolate.
Is there any good one out there that don't cost me an arm and a leg??
Some vegan chocolates are nasty, but I know there are def also good ones out there.

Old 28-07-2022, 03:57 AM   #107
Auror.
Camden

Honestly, I don't really crave or want things like fried eggs. Eggs grossed me out and were not something I ate before I was vegan, unless they were in something where I was not just eating eggs.

There are plenty of mock options out there if you do have cravings, but for the most part, no. I think if there were something I really wanted that wasn't vegan I would basically do a search for alternatives, or figure out what it is I am wanting about it. Am I wanting that texture, or am I wanting something savory, etc., and then figure out a different option. Does that make any sense? I do think it might be different for me though because I have been vegan for 15 years. I think when you start out it is a lot harder to get used to, which is why I always explain that doing it gradually and taking the time to figure out options you like and alternatives is the way to go. It took me a full two years to make the switch from vegetarian to vegan. Cheese was the hardest thing for me, but in the last 5 or 6 years the options have really gotten so much better.

Here we have decent shredded and sliced vegan cheese options that I do use on sandwiches, pasta, etc. like you are suggesting.

Generally with chocolate, dark chocolate is already vegan. If you hate dark chocolate I'm really unsure what to suggest. I don't know many non dark chocolate vegan options here that exist in typical grocery stores and aren't cheap.

Just curious, are you just wondering out of curiosity, or are you considering going vegan? As I am sure you know, if you are thinking about it, just be careful with how you do it so you aren't heading into the territory of restriction/disordered eating.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 28-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #108
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Do you have to put them all in at once?
Genius!!

Lana, I’m Camden on the egg front but hopefully Lio, Queen Of Eggs will have some thoughts.

Cheese-wise, violife or applewood are nice slices and we buy violife grated. Personally I couldn’t handle unmelted vegan cheese to start with because it was gross but then somewhere along the way my standards dropped massively and now I love a non-melted cheese and fake ham sandwich.

Chocolate- the sainsbury’s cheapest dark chocolate (like 29p) is vegan (a lot of dark chocolates aren’t vegan here ) but I don’t massively like it. I like the candbury plant bar and Lindt vegan but neither would count as cheap. I bake a lot of my own chocolately snacks to satisfy my sweet tooth without going bankrupt!

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 29-07-2022 at 11:43 PM.

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.

Old 28-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #109
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Also I’d like to register my enjoyment of Americans calling grated cheese ‘shredded cheese’!

Old 28-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #110
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Has anyone tried Tesco's egg alternative for cakes? I don't like eggs on their own either and the only time I buy eggs is for cakes. I just had to bin a load of eggs because they were off
I am guessing that Tesco's egg alternative would keep longer in the cupboard.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without asking first as l find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #111
Auror.
Camden

There are some brands of vegan cheese that are disgusting unmelted.

Also, we have Violife here! It's hard to find and expensive but by far my favorite brand that I have tried.

Also um... is shredded cheese not different than grated cheese? Because I thought those were different things.

Old 28-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #112
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

WHAT
I just assumed grated cheese was what you were talking about!! What’s shredded cheese then??

Old 28-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #113
Auror.
Camden

Idk I thought they were different but idk how specifically. I just always assumed they were referring to different things.

Old 28-07-2022, 06:29 PM   #114
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

Mozzarella sheese is good! And Mouse’s Favourite but you can’t buy that without taking out a mortgage so…

Also, I’m pretty sure grated and shredded are the same Camden, but it might be used interchangeably/differently in different areas of the US.

The US cooking term that upsets me most is ‘broil’ because it sounds like some kind of boiling, but it actually means what we call ‘grill’ in the UK, but ‘grill’ in America means ‘barbecue’ in the UK unless they’re talking about cheese on toast/cheese toasties, which are generally fried in America but they call them ‘grilled cheese’ and we actually do grill cheese on toast here, my brain is hurting.

Old 28-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #115
Auror.
Camden

oh lol I guess I just assumed they were different. My bad! Sorry for any confusion!

Broil confuses me too!!!!!

Old 28-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #116
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

SO. My research contradicts what Lio said! I found that shredded means you make it into little strings (like we would do with soft cheeses), and grated is literally just decimated into the tiniest pieces (like what you would do with a hard cheese). I assumed this was an American site because we would call both these things 'grated'.

Not willing to engage with the broil thing, that sounds confusing.

Old 28-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #117
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Also Dawn I have no idea because if I was non-vegan I'd just buy the amount of eggs I needed (before that was an option I remember palming off a lot of un-needed eggs on my parents though!) and now I'm vegan I'd be more likely to just use a recipe that didn't have eggs because eggs are fake news anyway.

The fake egg powder thing I have used for two specific things did seem to work OK though *shrug*

Old 28-07-2022, 10:12 PM   #118
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Thanks Jenna.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without asking first as l find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #119
Auror.
Camden

You can also use banana or applesauce for example instead of eggs. You could keep a couple of individual containers of applesauce, or even a frozen banana or two and those typically last a while.

Old 28-07-2022, 11:45 PM   #120
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Thanks for all the info re cheese alternatives- I have most def forgotten all of it already and will ask again some time!

Dark chocolate is nasty :(
why would I chew on sth that tastes like past use-by-date paracetamol????
Someone at work got me really good vegan chocolate from Germany. And I tried the Moofree one, but it was way nasty!!!

As to your question Camden - I guess I am ve-curious at best atm. I guess I eat mostly vegetarian as I don't like most meats and my body is medium good with dairy, so I figured vegan options might help with that.
I try to pick vegan options when available and affordable unless I have a strong preference for the non vegan one and/or the vegan option contains ingredients I cannot cope with i.e. any spice or herb. I feel like it is the morally right thing to do tbh. Especially with the variety and availability of vegan options nowadays.
Between my at best disordered eating, my allergies/sensitivities, food aversions, sensory issues and being a picky eater in general I do agree limiting myself to even less variety in my diet is not advisable at the minute. I consider myself an omnivore who will go for the more ethical option whenever it doesn't impact my wellbeing in a negative way.
But I am not ruling out going vegan fulltime at some point down the line.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)