RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #41
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Big news guys, finally got the buttermilk crunchie bar! It’s pretty good =D. Also I’m getting a vegan donut and/or cupcake today. BIG EXCITEMENT.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #42
nonperson

I am currently:

There's no "and/or" when it comes to cake. Just "and".

Is Sainsbury's the place to buy all this vegan chocolate?

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #43
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
There's no "and/or" when it comes to cake. Just "and".

Is Sainsbury's the place to buy all this vegan chocolate?
It was only and/or because I'm going to be in the same place another day, so it was just a case of choosing which to have first! Because you are absolutely right.

Also, hell no to Sainsbury's. My Sainsbury's sells shelves and shelves of stupid 'healthy' vegan crap and I have zero interest in that. In fairness, it was a Sainsbury's where we found the vegan kitkat and even my Sainsbury's has the buttermilk fake mars bar. The best place for the buttermilk bars seems to be WH Smith outlets in train stations! Sainsbury's also has the big bounty chocolate slabs so basically I need to stop raging at Sainsbury's :P

I've absolutely not answered your question really, so sorry about that...

Old 29-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #44
nonperson

I am currently:

Haha, well you kind of did answer it. Just asking because Sainsbury's seems to be my shop of choice at the moment and I kinda want to try this stuff.

Old 29-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #45
Auror.
Camden

Honestly it sounds like you all have much nicer options there than here. We only have either healthy vegan "candy" stuff or like, expensive fancy candy that's 6$ for one bite and not even worth it.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #46
nonperson

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Sainsbury's also has the big bounty chocolate slabs so basically I need to stop raging at Sainsbury's :P

This?

"May contain milk" ...

Old 29-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #47
Auror.
Camden

They have to say that because of the risk of cross contamination for people with allergies or sensitivities. It means that the product itself is vegan but is made on potentially shared equipment. At least that's what it means in the US.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 29-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #48
nonperson

I am currently:

Yeah it means that here too. Surely it can't be called vegan then?

Old 29-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #49
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Hopefully vegan?

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #50
Auror.
Camden

It's still vegan, at least to me. It just means the equipment that makes it also makes products containing milk too. Some hardcore vegans would argue that doesn't count, just as they would argue anything made with sugar isn't vegan.

If there was actually dairy in it, it would say contains milk instead of may contain. It's basically just to cover their ass in case someone ever was super sensitive to cross contamination or if there were ever factory issues where mistakes did occur.

Old 29-10-2021, 11:49 PM   #51
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Yeah, so I asked one of the vegans on here about that when I first became vegan, since bourneville ‘may contain traces of milk’ and I adore bourneville. Their very sensible argument was along the lines of increasing the accessibility of veganism. Realistically it almost certainly contains no trace of milk and if we were that strict it would make being vegan ludicrously difficult and discourage people from going vegan, which ultimately isn’t going to reduce humankind’s impact on animals/the environment.

Old 29-10-2021, 11:55 PM   #52
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

And also yes, I did mean that bounty!
Camden, vegan stuff does tend to be pricey- that bar costs £3 and the little individual buttermilk ‘candy’ bars cost £1.50 to £2, whereas the non-vegan bar would be more in the region of 70p. But it’s not extortionate and we have a lot of choice which is rapidly expanding every month at the moment.

Old 30-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #53
nonperson

I am currently:

Quote:
Yeah, so I asked one of the vegans on here about that when I first became vegan, since bourneville ‘may contain traces of milk’ and I adore bourneville. Their very sensible argument was along the lines of increasing the accessibility of veganism. Realistically it almost certainly contains no trace of milk and if we were that strict it would make being vegan ludicrously difficult and discourage people from going vegan, which ultimately isn’t going to reduce humankind’s impact on animals/the environment.

Explaining it like that actually makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

Old 30-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #54
Auror.
Camden

That type of strictness can also lead to disordered eating imo. I think it's a slippery slope if you're someone who's ever struggled with that. That's why I personally don't view sugar as non-vegan. And I wouldn't have a problem with it if someone wanted to eat honey and call themselves vegan. I don't eat honey, but if that was the only reason a product wasn't vegan, I probably would eat it. I don't like to get too into reading ingredients and labels for similar reasons.

Old 17-01-2022, 11:57 PM   #55
Auror.
Camden

Does anyone have any lunch suggestions? My normal lunch has been making me sick for a while, but I don't really know what to switch to. Ideally something easy. Bonus points if I can pre-prepare it and it is gluten free but not a requirement. I typically have cereal if I eat breakfast and soup for dinner. So don't think I should have soup for two meals a day lol.

Old 18-01-2022, 11:19 PM   #56
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I doubt I'll be much help here! I have hummus or jam sandwiches. But what about maybe an easy pasta with sauce that you could batch cook and use gluten free pasta if you wanted?

In Jenna news, I finally tried the dominoes vegan pizza - yummy!

Old 18-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #57
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Yeah, so I asked one of the vegans on here about that when I first became vegan, since bourneville ‘may contain traces of milk’ and I adore bourneville.
Rereading this is triggering me since bourneville is no longer vegan. Might post report myself.

Old 18-01-2022, 11:49 PM   #58
Auror.
Camden

How was the pizza?

I did try making a vegan mac n cheese. I didn't use gf pasta just because I was unsure how it was going to turn out. It's not bad but it was pretty expensive to get that amount of vegan cheese. Another friend suggested rice with beans and veggies so I might try doing that instead since rice and veggies and beans are all pretty cheap.

Old 30-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #59
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Pizza was 10/10.

Yeah, vegan cheese is pricey! I don't know how this would compare price-wise but I make a macaroni cheese (recipe courtesy of Lio!) that uses cashews and nutritional yeast to create the cheesiness, with some optional vegan cheese melted on top, if you'd like the recipe?

Old 30-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #60
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Would like to add that Jenna refined the recipe - I just went ‘whack these things in in quantities you deem appropriate’, which actually seemed to upset her quite a bit.

Also tried Lindts new vegan chocolate bar this morning (saw Lindt, assumed lindor, was mildly disappointed) and it was ok! Hazelnut, sorry Jenna.

Last edited by Elmer : 30-01-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Gremmar

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)