RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
bitomato

I am currently:
Catherine Zeta- Jones treated for bipolar?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110413...b-6323e80.html

Sorry out of the blue but reading this article annoyed me slightly.
Surely Catherine Zeta-Jones is an icon in her own right, however, the majority of the article was about her husband's ordeal and implying how the stress of this would have triggered the bipolar............?

Maybe I am misreading and I am sure this is not the only article. However, I don't think anyone should make excuses for having relapses or getting treatment.

Does this article inspire, confound or did everyone know this already.....?!

Generally just ticked off today dealing with a friend who is struggling with relapsing for bipolar as well. Makes me feel vulnerable.

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

ďItís time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. Itís not working for women, itís not working for men,
itís not working for polar bears
.Ē Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
bitomato

I am currently:

And just to clarify, I assume this is the first time it was announced that she had bipolar and while I am usually of the opinion that it is no one's business, I am unsure how I feel about this disclosure.

Is it just PR for her upcoming movies. It is just that so many people struggle in isolation or invisible with these conditions and I just don't feel comfortable with highly visible people coming out and not using it as an opportunity to disseminate information.

I guess I am sensitive because I am under a lot of stress and it is making me feel testy about relapsing to as I am not getting the support I need.

ďItís time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. Itís not working for women, itís not working for men,

Old 14-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

its yahoo, i wouldnt read anything on there and take it seriously.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Whispered Secret

BBC have it as one of their top stories. I mean wtf?! People don't just "get" bipolar. And a five day admission? I'd have thought if bipolar was really what was going on the admission would be longer. Are they just saying it's bipolar because they consider it a so called glamorous illness with celebrity circles right now?

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

What captured my attention was the fact that she ''checked'' into rehab for treatment. It's amazing the power of money. My care team/family are fighting for funding for me to have treatment for my problems and it naffs me off (ok, makes me jealous) of people who has money and get get help at the click of the fingers!

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

fragile as glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Sigma

I am currently:

I was annoyed that it referred to 'rehab' for bipolar

But looking at The Guardian website it seems that she's been dignosed with bipolar II for a while now, and needed a short stay - I guess to rest, have meds looked at etc

Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
susieannah
Control is an illusion

I am currently:

It always amuses me how little the media knows about mental health problems. Like the above post complaining about how she "got" bipolar, I totally agree with your rant! And that has been treated and is fine now. *laughs uncontrollably at the silliness*

She may well have bipolar II, but the media really have no idea what they're going on about, which makes it all seem a little bizarre really :S

susieannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
bitomato

I am currently:

Thanks for taking up the rant. Yes Thumbelina, I totally agree we don't know what is going on behind closed doors, in terms of Catherine's private struggles. Yes it is "trending"- celebrity X has bipolar...........the media has become the social psychiatrist diagnosing the behaviour of Britney and Lindsay. My frustration is that misinformation becomes rampant and yes, "getting support" and "getting helped/ cured" is linked to money. Like at the end/ bottom of the report you need a disclaimer- these results are not expected especially in non-celebrities..............goes and places dollar under medication before taking it....................

Old 16-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
makedamnsure

I am currently:

I don't know much about it, but it annoyed me the way it was reported that she has got bipolar from looking after her husband. She may well have bipolar. She may well have had a relapse due to stress recently. But I'm fairly sure bipolar doesn't just appear magically due to stress out of nowhere with no previous warning signs.

And the whole "rehab" for bipolar. As if she's going to come out of rehab and be fine! I was under the impression that bipolar is a life long illness that can be managed etc. but doesn't just disappear after a few days in rehab!

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
bitomato

I am currently:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1...video=24902072

yes cannot stay away from yahoo. sorry
Again diagnosising Charlie Sheen. No offense to those in the performing arts- but he is an egomanical actor!!!

Crazy isn't limited to Hollywood.................
OMG.
So you need to be Hollywood royalty, have a husband who is dying, about to start 2 new movies or it is career suicide- not something you want to come out.

Okay blocks Yahoo from my server.

Old 25-04-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
xlaurenx

I am currently:

I doubt he has any mh problem just too much money for his own good really... But i love Two and A Half Men!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitomato View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1...video=24902072

yes cannot stay away from yahoo. sorry
Again diagnosising Charlie Sheen. No offense to those in the performing arts- but he is an egomanical actor!!!

Crazy isn't limited to Hollywood.................
OMG.
So you need to be Hollywood royalty, have a husband who is dying, about to start 2 new movies or it is career suicide- not something you want to come out.

Okay blocks Yahoo from my server.

xlaurenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

When pretty actresses get older and can't get movie roles anymore they start coming out with "revelations" like this. I find it insulting more than anything

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

I dont think charlie sheen has mh problems its just being said in order to cover up his bad behaviour... i hate it when people get these diagnosis' just because they're violent... i find it insulting. And yes i dont really care if she came up to me and said ' i know your pain, i have bipolar' ( i dont have bipolar just other debilitating mhs) id get very angry and tell her some rude words i agree its insulting.

I REALLY want to see an actor walk infront of a camera and go 'hi i have schizophrenia' and see what happens... it wouldnt happen for a first but i bet it wont be all 'aww isnt s/he amazing' it will be 'blah blah has violent tendencies their ex/ best friend/ mum tells the story of what its like to live with a person with the illness' thats completely off topic only because bipolar, depression, eds, substance abuse and si seem to become celebrity badges. Im not saying some dont really suffer with these problems its the way it becomes public and they get all this praise and sympathy etc...

ďThere is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.Ē

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)