RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
HildaOgden

I am currently:
Advice please on how to ask for help

I've just had a really bad 4 days of binging
I have a bad relationship with food and have had for years but it has never been this bad I don't think

I had some counselling years ago for help with binge eating but I don't think it was very effective (I was very unstable at the time mentally besides the binging)

I'm no spring chicken and feel like I should be over this by now but obviously I'm not

I don't know who to ask for help from. The last time I had counselling it was organised by my GP (even though I was under cmht) as I opened up to him about it.
I tried to broach the subject with my CPN but she seemed not to take it seriously.

I have a telephone appointment with my psychiatrist on Thursday and I'm not sure if I should mention it to him. But I don't know how much experience he has of eating disorders

I've a telephone appointment with my GP on Tuesday afternoon. It's the same GP that referred me for counselling last time. I feel so ashamed. I'm so embarrassed about the binging. I don't know what to say.

I don't know what to do. Any help/advice would be really appreciated

HildaOgden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:53 AM   #2
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

I know it’s easy for someone else to say but I genuinely don’t think you should be embarrassed about this, and certainly not about asking for support! Unfortunately I think you’re right, lots of professionals do not have training or an understanding of eating disorders and unfortunately there can SOMETIMES be an attitude of ‘just eat less’, which is obviously the equivalent of telling someone with anorexia nervosa to ‘eat more’ or a self harmer ‘just don’t hurt yourself’. That IS changing though. It sounds from this and your rant that the bingeing is worrying you and making you feel pretty crappy. And that alone is a reason to ask for support.

Perhaps try and word it to include WHY you’re bingeing (if you know, it’s ok if you don’t) and also how it is effecting you. It’s ok if you don’t know! You can say ‘it makes me feel rubbish after and I want to get more in control’ or something like that. Maybe having a think about what the triggers are/how you feel before/how you feel after, might give the GP or psych or CPN an idea of what’s going on and what kind of support to suggest?

I think you’re definitely doing the right thing by mentioning this as it seems like it’s something that is bothering you and right now there’s enough **** going on that we have no control of, so if someone can help you get control of the bingeing and how it effects how you feel, then that can only be a positive.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #3
HildaOgden

I am currently:

Thanks for your reply Pomegranate.
You've made some really good points and I do think it's a good idea to get some help with the binging/bad relationship with food.
I'm not really sure why I binge, that's something I need to think about. Or even why I buy food to specifically binge on that's not food i would usually buy.
I think I'll try and bring it up with my GP on Tuesday's phone call.
Thanks P

Old 01-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
HildaOgden

I am currently:

Just thought I’d post an update.
I spoke to my gp this morning & he was very understanding.
He’s referring me to the local eating disorder service
For an assessment. Should hear from them in a few weeks hopefully

Old 01-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

I'm really glad! I hope things go smoothly and you can get some support. That was super brave of you to do.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Well done! That’s such a brave step to take and you should be really proud of yourself for being honest with the GP . How do you feel about having spoken to them and about the referral?

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #7
HildaOgden

I am currently:

Thanks Auror and Pomegranate.
I am pleased I managed to talk to my GP about it and I also talked a bit to my CPN about it too.
I hope the referral doesn't take too long to come through but I know I have to try and be patient.
It's difficult really because I'm struggling with my MH and I think I'm using the binging as a way of coping albeit not a healthy way of coping.
Thanks for asking

Old 18-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #8
HildaOgden

I am currently:

Just another update;
tomorrow morning I have a Zoom with the ED service. It's an assessment to see if I'm suitable for the group therapy they offer. I'm really nervous about it

Old 18-03-2021, 11:10 PM   #9
Auror.
Camden

I hope it goes okay for you! Do you have anything specific you want to say or ask for? If it helps to have things written out in advance maybe do that?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 18-03-2021, 11:53 PM   #10
HildaOgden

I am currently:

thanks Auror.
I want to ask if i really do have binge eating disorder or if I'm just greedy
I know that may seem like an odd thing to ask, but it's an argument I have with myself all the time
I've not really thought of any other questions

Old 19-03-2021, 03:13 AM   #11
Auror.
Camden

I think it's okay to ask if you have a diagnosis! There is nothing wrong with that. Worst they can do is say they don't know or don't feel comfortable discussing it.

Old 19-03-2021, 11:55 PM   #12
HildaOgden

I am currently:

the person who did the assessment said it's likely I have binge eating disorder from what I have described.
I'm starting group therapy (CBT based) by Zoom at the end of April for 12 weeks.

Old 20-03-2021, 04:42 AM   #13
Auror.
Camden

How are you doing? Are you okay with all of that?

Old 20-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
HildaOgden

I am currently:

I'm ok thanks. Binged last night which isn't good but I'm trying not to beat myself up over it.
I find it hard to believe I really have binge eating disorder. I feel like a fraud and like I'm just greedy.
I'm ok about joining the therapy group. It's from 10-11.30am on a Wednesday so I'm going to have to tell my Mum about the therapy so she doesn't worry if she can'd get hold of me. We speak every morning so it's likely she would phone.
I haven't told my Mum about the extent of my eating difficulties as I don't want to worry her, but it looks like I'm going to have to tell her. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to broach the subject with her.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)