Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
Honey Being Used For Injuries/Infections

"Honey making a medical comeback"

Potent type used as antibiotic amid fears of drug-resistant superbugs

Healing wounds
Honey dressings and gels, as well as tubes of manuka honey, have been gaining in popularity overseas, fueled by scientific reports on their medical benefits and occasional news accounts of the dramatic recovery of a patient with a longtime wound that suddenly healed...

Kara Couch, a nurse practitioner at Georgetown University Hospital's Center for Wound Healing in Washington, said it works well for patients who have "wound pain" or infected wounds...

One patient who had an open wound that didn't heal for a few years "healed 90 percent in three weeks," she said, adding that the usual rate for chronic wounds is barely 10 percent a week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

"Honey helps problem wounds"

Medihoney more effective than antibiotics -- Bonn-led study to start soon

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-hhp072706.php

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
BBC:

"Harnessing honey's healing"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3787867.stm

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

What's the debate? Surely if it works, it works. And if there's proper accredited scientific research backing it up, then I'm all for it. I do think it's interesting though how some anciet remedies are having a resurgence, e.g. leeches and maggots. I can see how there could be controversy surrounding that, but honey? The only people I can see kicking up a fuss would be militant vegans.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
autosuggestion
magic emily

It's 'news' and 'debate', not specifically everything has to be a debate.

I think this is just news.

Honey is brilliant, it's also really good for blemishes.

autosuggestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Strict Machine
Fragile Little Me

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
One patient who had an open wound that didn't heal for a few years
Gross.

Strict Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

A reason I posted about this is because new strains of antibiotic resistant MSRA are becoming worse than thought and honey has shown some effectiveness. If people will be going to health clubs, tattoo and piercing places etc. they need to be careful because this is going to get worse before it gets better.

MSRA thread ""New 'Supberbug' Killing More Than AIDS"
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ad.php?t=31530

Last edited by Isoverity : 17-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Old 17-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Blossom
Mrs Angel

Honey's great stuff. Fantastic for sore throats; honey and lemon drinks are ace! :) That aside, honey been used for centuries to help heal wounds.

Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Isoverity

I am currently:

I had heard for along time that honey was potent antibiotic. I would be curious to know just how "special" the expensive version is compared to more pedestrian honey. I know silver compounds are also a good antibiotic and were used in newborns eyes and burn victims.

Old 17-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
It's 'news' and 'debate', not specifically everything has to be a debate.

I think this is just news.

Honey is brilliant, it's also really good for blemishes.
I realise what I said might have come across as rude,but it's not how I mean't it. I mean't its a good idea, there's proper scientific evidence and I don't see how anyone could object to it.
Natural rememdies often are extremely effective, like I used teatree and lavendar oil to heal my septum piercing.
I can't see how the expensive stuff could be that different, does anyone know what it is, does it come from special plants or special bee's?

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibility View Post
I realise what I said might have come across as rude,but it's not how I mean't it. I mean't its a good idea, there's proper scientific evidence and I don't see how anyone could object to it.
Natural rememdies often are extremely effective, like I used teatree and lavendar oil to heal my septum piercing.
I can't see how the expensive stuff could be that different, does anyone know what it is, does it come from special plants or special bee's?
Heres an article from 2006 describing a "manuka bush"
Manuka honey - made by bees that collect pollen from the manuka bush (Leptospermum scoparium), which grows wild in New Zealand - has other, yet to be identified, ingredients which appear to have health benefits.
Professor Peter Molan, director of the honey research centre at the University of Waikato, New Zealand, has called these 'unique manuka factors' (UMFs) and uses this to classify its various strengths.
For example, a UMF5 product is thought to be equivalent to a 5 per cent solution of a standard antiseptic; a UMF20, the highest strain, is equal to a 20 per cent solution of antiseptic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...page_id=17 74

There has also been success for wound healing using "chitosan" from shrimp shells

http://thebristolbaytimes.com/news/story/1065

Old 17-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
ceapach
has a nifty custom user title

I am currently:

Watch scientists discover in 42 years that the cure to cancer is honey. hmmpf.

ceapach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Ratatouille strychnine
The sweetest cherry in an apple pie.

I am currently:

So it seems the bear of very little brain was right all along.

Ratatouille strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
chasing bliss
stuck doing people things

I am currently:

i love honey.

i've heard it's good for wounds and stuff but then i come across people saying "omg it's the antichrist don't touch that ****" so i haven't. not that i really have loads to lose.

more and more though it's been seeming favourable. i like how doctors are so afraid of saying that maybe this old-school stuff does work, and it doesn't have to have a brand name like Honeexa XHP to be legit.

well, i have sown untidy furrows 'cross my soul,
but I am still a coward,
content to see my garden grow so sweet & full
of someone else's flowers.

chasing bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
ceapach
has a nifty custom user title

I am currently:

...people say that Honey is the antichrist?

I think pharmecutical companies are very afraid of finding simple solutions to problems they spent tons of money on solving....and they really would charge you $800 for a bottle of Honeexa XHP, $200 for the generic Hoeuey ereiuff, when a bottle from the grocery store cost $2.

ceapach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
oedipus
protege-moi, protege-moi

I am currently:

oh i've tried honey befre *shrugs* it's just sugar..
the dressings with the nanoparticles of silver something-or-other work a lot better 8)

If only you'd ever speak to me
the way you once did
look at me the way you once did
pull to me the way you once did
but you don't
you don't feel anymore
you don't care anymore
it's all gone
it's all gone

oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

manuka honey is really good. you have to get it in at least a '10' rated strength though. its about 20 a jar in health food shops, 10 in tesco and 5 in morrisons.

I've personally seen it heal bed sores in just a few days, also a terminally ill uncle had it on toast every morning and within a week his dry skin had gone, the shine was back in his eyes and he was able to get out of bed for the first time in months. I'm not saying it cures cancer, but it certainly helped make him more comfortable and eased the side effects of chemo and radiotherapy in his last few weeks.

I've heard of people with immune disorders using this honey and it has had a big impact on their condition.

Also... not specifically manuka honey.... but if you suffer from hayfever, find some locally made honey, eat it for a week - your hayfever should at least lessen, if not completley disappear (it worked for me when even the strongest antihistamines did nothing).
mand x

ps... i don't like honey it is icky! definatley one of those 'horrible tasting medicines'.

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #16
Taff
Verklighetstrogen

I am currently:

Honey does have some interesting and quite outlandish stories in the medical area.... Amongst some of it's many mundane uses for treating ilness and wounds were also honey-mummified human tissue. They used to get old(but healthy) people, who would actually put themselves up for becoming a honey mummy. They'd eat and drink only honey till they died of this, then the body would be mummified in honey (the recipe is for 100 years, though it's thought most were done for a great deal less, for money-turnover purposes). Ingest to cure many ailments.... Sounds, nice.

Taff is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)