RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
lifeinslowmotion1

I am currently:
Triggering (SI/ED) - Antidepressants without the weight gain

I'm in secure in a lot of things. When I was about 13, I went through a phase of starving myself and worrying about my weight but it wasn't very serious.
I went on mirtazapine for my depression in December after trying Citalopram for a while. I was warned that there might be some weight gain but I've never really worried about my weight much before so I thought it'd be ok. I have put on a lot of weight with it though and I feel now like the depression is coming back a bit becuase I'm stressing about my weight. I suppose 'being thin' was one of the things that I didn't mind about myself and that I was comfortable with but now I'm beginning to lose that and I hate it. I started taking diet pills just after Christmas for it and when they weren't working, I started doubling up the doses and now I seem to be abusing them as a way of self harm. I don't think that that is really dangerous because they're only herbal as far as I can tell.
Anyway, I can't really cope with this weight gain thing just adding to my list of problems. I've made a doctors appointment to try to get my meds changed but I'm not sure if they'll do this just because of the reason I've given. The mirtazapine is working for my depression and helping me to sleep better but it's just the weight gain that I can't cope with. I can't deal with losing that litle thing that made me feel good about myself.

Does anyone know of any other antidepressants that won't cause weight gain? I'm happy to take something with a sleeping pill as well as long as it's not going to affect my weight.

Thanks guys.
x

lifeinslowmotion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 13-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Stellata

Anti-depressants tend to vary as to effects. I've not had any weight gain with mirtazapine. And efexor made me lose a dangerous amount of weight, as I was already seriously underweight. Some people have gained on efexor. It's all down to unique body chemistry. You'll need to work with your doctor to find something that works for you.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
The Midnight Crazies
100% Honesty

I am currently:

Wellbutrin is the only anti depressant I can think of that actually makes you lose weight. But if you're prone to anorexia they usually don't prescribe it.

Marte

The Midnight Crazies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Lil'MissLaLa
Art is a lie that makes us realise the truth

I am currently:

i found tht generally SSRI's dnt make u gain or lose really. Mirtazapine made me gain loads, whereas lots of other ones didnt affect my weight at all.
xx

'Imagination is more important than knowledge'

http://maddani.deviantart.com/

Lil'MissLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
dark_light

I am currently:

Everyone told me i would gain weight with mirtazapine but i've lost loads. i think everyones different and just because a side effect is listed doesn't automatically mean you will experience it.
Also be prepared for your doctor to mention healthy eating and exercise! If the meds are otherwise working they may be reluctant to change them.
xx

"Because you don't notice the light without a bit of shadow.
Everything has both dark and light.
You have to play with it until you get it exactly right."

dark_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

Fluoxetine made me lose weight rather than gain it (even when taking it in conjunction with risperidone which can cause weight gain). Completely zaps my appetite. However, it might not be as effective for you because it does nothing for sleep (if anything, it makes sleep harder).

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
lifeinslowmotion1

I am currently:

Yeah that's what I'm worried about - them just telling me to exercise and eat better. I actually do more now that I did to begin with so I fairly sure that it's the Mirtazapine that's the main cuase of it all.

lifeinslowmotion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
~ Mandy ~

I am currently:

I've been on both mirtazapine and citalopram and neither made me put on weight. Each medication affects everyone differently, so it's just a matter of finding one that doesn't make you put on weight.

~ The race goes not always to the swift but to those who keep on running ~

~ Mandy ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I am on olanzapine (but that's for schizophrenia), which is a baddie for weight gain.
I avoid weight gain by exercising a lot, and trying to eat apples when I get medication-induced hunger or cravings. I can eat 5 apples and drink countless cups of tea a day, but at least there is no weight gain.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
smileemptysoul

I am currently:

Lexapro is an antidepressant and for generalized anxiety but is prescribed for either or both. I'm told it is low on side effects. The first few days my appetite went down but that leveled out. I've had the best sleep of my life since I started it but I'm not sure if thats a side effect or not.

smileemptysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
alienshe_cheesycake
the world will never take my heart

I am currently:

I've had some pretty significant problems with my eating in the past (bulimia/starving myself ect)

and I kinda got over that and I was at a pretty "normal" decent weight, not slim, just normal, and I got put on Mirtazapine first 15mg then 30mg
and it made me put on weight like a bitch

I think it was the drug combined with being on a hospital ward for so long
led to me putting on so much weight (1 and 1/2 stone )
But yeah, it's really depressing me and getting me down,
I was actually trying to find clothes in my wardrobe that fit me and I couldn't, so I've had to lend clothes from my older sister.
Urgh, it's ****ing horrible, but the Mirtzazapine is actually working for the depression and helping me sleep so I don't want to change medication.

Damm. I'm worried about it meself, because I've already started binging/purging again, it shoudn't be too long before I start to starve myself (I've already got an extreme dieting plan for when I get out of here)

"In the driest whitest stretch of pains infinate desert, I lost my sanity, and found this rose"

alienshe_cheesycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
thalia
~fade to black~

I am currently:

i was on lexapro, and it made me gain a lot of weight. also made me sleep around 17 hr a day

the most important things are the hardest things to say...
...And you make revelations that cost you the most, only to have people look at you in a funny way.
not understanding what you've said at all, or why you though it was so important that you almost cried when you were saying it.

~Stephan King~

thalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
Isoverity

I am currently:

Be careful of the herbal diet pills. They constrict circulation and thats a reason why they often add willow bark that is like aspirin and keeps capillaries from constricting etc. Watch the doses and exercising on that stuff.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
xXMessedUpXx
And broken once more

I am currently:

i'm finding fluoxetine has completly made my appitite disappear. which considering i was already having issues with it cos of the pill, and my general depression isn't a great thing.

but as sonmeone else said its crap for sleep (its making my insomnia worse!)

Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up

xXMessedUpXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

When I was in hospital, I lost nearly a stone even though they were pumping me up with drugs. That was a bad thing because I started off with a borderline-underweight BMI from losing interest or concern for eating. I ended up being very skinny and had to put the weight back on.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)