RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
sophie.ashworth

I am currently:
Food diaries *recovery question*

So I’m looking for some advice, I’m beginning to realise I need to change my food habits and Ed behaviours and was wondering if keeping a food diary would be beneficial? I don’t know if it’s recommended or not- has anyone in recovery for any insight or advice?

Help me live not just survive.

sophie.ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 10-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Realising there's a problem and working out how to change is the first very important step in recovery; well done!

I'm not an expert but have certainly heard of them being used, although normally under professional supervision- are you receiving any professional help at the moment? If not, what are you planning to do with the food diary?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I think food diaries without professional input have the potential to feed the problem rather than help it. I know when I've tried in the past all that's happened is I've become obsessed, and rather than using it to objectively track my intake the eating disorder has taken over and I've used it to help me manipulate my intake.

As Jenna asked, what would you be planning to do with the diary?

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

I've never found them helpful, even when working with professionals. That said, everyone is different. I know a lot of treatment facilities I've been to use meal tracking apps instead of paper diaries now, because both the client and the providers can have access and provide feedback. That said, when I was inpatient one place we did use a paper one because we weren't allowed electronics.

Basically with the apps you don't just track your food, you track things like thoughts, feelings, and behaviors too. But again that's typically with professional oversight. The one that I know most places use is Recovery Record, but I am sure there are others too.

As said, what are you looking to accomplish with one? What would your goals be?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
sophie.ashworth

I am currently:

I have a support worker, cpn and psychiatrist that I’m under but they don’t know that I’ve relapsed into an ed
I’m thinking it might help me to face the reality of my situation- if I’m honest about binges I’m hoping that it’ll help change my mind about it all, if I record a binge as it happens it might cause me to stop?
I do see the very real possibility that I will come obsessive so I guess I’m weighing it all up especially as I’d be doing it alone without professional help or guidance

Help me live not just survive.

sophie.ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

For me, personally, recording everything I ate in a binge would do nothing but push me further into shame. And shaming myself out of binges has literally never worked. If you're talking about trying to be more mindful when you're eating I can see where the benefit could come in but please be careful.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)