RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:
Classic Films

I am looking for recommendations of ‘classic films’, by which I mean any film that you would be annoyed/shocked to discover that someone hasn’t seen. Ive never really been into films but now is the time for me to become more cultured! I don’t really like action films and films where too many things happen, but I need to learn so basically ignore my personal preferences!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

The Wizard of Oz and The Railway Children (1970) are my suggestions. Also Black Beauty (1994).

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I haven't watched it, and always get *that* reaction when someone finds out i haven't watched it but The Princess Bride!
It does look good and i do want to watch it!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
nonperson

I am currently:

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile for definite. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - not sure if that counts as a classic but it's easy going and interesting and really good.

And... Alien, Blade Runner, Jaws, The Birds! STAR WARS (the original three), 2001: A Space Odyssey (long, maybe confusing...), Indiana Jones, Titanic, Jurassic Park, Monty Python (Life of Brian and the Holy Grail), Spirited Away (with subtitles, not dubbed), Forrest Gump, The Abyss and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And omg nearly forgot Cast Away.

Not sure if some of these are "classics" or not, but it's stuff I like.

I don't even know what The Princess Bride is.

Last edited by nonperson : 17-04-2022 at 03:36 PM.
nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

Lord of the rings is a must!!!!

Anything with Johnny Depp because all his movies are weird and awesome!!!!

The matrix is good too!!!! I have a thing for movies that most women my age find to be a bit silly, so robocop, star trek movies and i ain't gonna pass on a good old Terrence Hill and Budd Spencer movie. But hey, i am a bit weird and so is my taste in films!!!

Zurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
Auror.
Camden

I'm really not a fan of Princess Bride. We watched it all the time in school when I was a kid and it was just annoying to me.

I'd agree with Indiana Jones and maybe the first Matrix movie. Unsure I'd agree with any others. That may be because I've not seen most of them.

If I had to pick one, maybe something like The Breakfast Club?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #7
nonperson

I am currently:

I thought about the Breakfast Club. I know it's meant to be iconic but I just didn't really "get it".

I forgot Thelma and Louise!

Old 17-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #8
Auror.
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
I thought about the Breakfast Club. I know it's meant to be iconic but I just didn't really "get it".
Not sure there's really anything to get with it, so maybe you're actually fine? You can pretty much take it at face value.

I feel like most of the movies I really like are pretty weird and not well known, so I don't know that I would consider them classics. Maybe like some of the original Disney movies or something? Like Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc.?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 11:36 PM   #9
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I was shocked to find out you’d never seen Back to the Future! Did you watch all 3? My favourite one was the second one, but 1 and 3 are good.

Some ideas:
Dirty dancing
Big
Footloose
Forrest Gump (I found it a bit boring but everyone I know loves it)
Sleepless in Seattle (romantic slush but it is good)
When Harry met Sally

I have more but feel those shoulf keep you going!

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #10
Isoverity

I am currently:

I like some of the films above. Of course there are old classics like Casablanca, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre etc but I assume you've heard of those

I'll add:

Amadeus - a film about Mozart (my avatar is from the film) with great interiors and scenes. F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri is one of most unforgettable characters ever. Easy to watch - not highbrow

"Almost Famous" (movie based on a real 15 year who got to travel with 70s rock bans about music. Its not the usual rock/pop film with people all messed-up. It about music and being young I suppose. I've never run across anyone who wasn't surprised how much they liked the film

Donnie Darko - nobody knows what its about for sure but everybody knows its about something interesting. Great 80s tracks from The Church, Joy Division, Duran Duran, Echo & the Bunnymen - US film that was a bigger hit in UK. The song Mad World was is featured. The cosmic worm hole opening in a theater is great scene.

Anything with Audrey Hepburn but especially Breakfast and Tiffany's and Roman Holiday.

Some others are "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939 version.) Les Misérables (2012) Annie Hall (1977) Brigadoon (1954 - a musical set in Scotland) Big (1988 - early Tom Hanks and fun) Barry Lyndon (1975 - Stanley Kubrick and an exceptional historical work taking place in Georgian Ireland and Europe)

Some UK films I liked a lot: The Commitments, With Nail and I, Lawrence of Arabia, The Full Monty, A Man For All Seasons, Gandhi, The Field, The Boxer, St. Martin's Lane (Vivien Leigh, Charles Laughton), A Room with a View (with HB Carter - a fav film since I've been to, Florence)

If you like Shakespeare (and nobody seems to these days) the two Ken Branagh film stand out Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing (good spring film). Branagh made the best Willy S films - they aren't full of bloviating styles.

Continental Films I liked: Cinema Paradiso, Camille Claudel, Au revoir les enfants, Cyrano de Bergerac, Il Postino: The Postman, Jean de Florette, My Life As a Dog, Babette's Feast.

From Canada I like Jesus of Montreal

From China I like anything with Gong Li but especially Red Sorghum, Ju Dou, Raise the Red Lantern, Farewell My Concubine. Li is a great actress and the films she's in tend to be delicately visual (you start to notice colors and patterns and lines as part of the film but its not obvious)

A film I haven't seen yet but everyone mentions is The Notebook

Last edited by Isoverity : 18-04-2022 at 03:16 AM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Wow thanks guys, this will keep me going possibly forever! There's several there that was like "oh yeah, that's what everyone always references", particularly The Breakfast Club and Dirty Dancing.

Ali, I did enjoy Back to the Future and would happily watch the 2nd and 3rd, although I'm a bit too busy with all the other films atm :P

I am in the middle of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel currently and quite enjoying it.

My friend also gave me a list so I shall combine them all into a Big List of Films :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 01:50 AM   #12
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Mulholland drive for lezzie vibes and head ****ery.

My fav classic cult film, just look at my avatar.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 01:51 AM   #13
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Fight club
Blade runner
The green mile

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #14
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Jaws!!!
One of my favourite films!
Unfortunately didn't do much for the popularity of sharks though :(

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #15
nonperson

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Not sure there's really anything to get with it, so maybe you're actually fine? You can pretty much take it at face value.

But I think there is something to get. It's meant to be a coming-of-age film with some sort of deep and meaningful storyline for the characters, yet I just thought it was a bit dull. Face value = teenagers in detention. Why would anyone want to watch that.

*shrug*

Old 24-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #16
nonperson

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Witch View Post
Big

Yes! =D

Old 30-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #17
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Why has Neverending Story not been mentioned? Outrage.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #18
Kanjanjunga

The 7th seal

Also , Most of the movies by Akira kurosawa

Kanjanjunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
sandalwood
meditating

I am currently:

Lawrence of Arabia.

"And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.."
The Sound Of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

sandalwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #20
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

The Railway Children is on bbc 2 this weekend.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)