flying[star]

must agree of one thing here
Horses are some of the most calming animals in the world...=D

flying[star] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #162
Rayosun
Recovery

I am currently:

In the begining recognizing the feelings were helpful. Like "This is my cutting feeling, but I recognize this and now I must prevent it.

If I absolutely had to hurt myself, I would take an icecube and either hold it in my hand or run it over my body. The change in temperature would help me focus.

Painting has really helped me too. Buy peach paints, red paints, and a canvas. cut, heal, cut heal... you can see how it builds up if you use acrylics.

Rayosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #163
Lindsey

I just made a playlist, of happy dancey music last night. I wanted to cut, but I made this up, put it on and just danced until I was exhausted and felt better.

Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #164
Katiecakes.
Esse est percipi

I am currently:

I honestly have just filled my life with so much stuff I could not even think about self harming. I guess the doctor's are right when they tell you to find distractions!
I have been upset and triggered at some points but realise that hurting myself is not the answer though I know I will always be a self harmer :)

"From seeing the worst to loving the strongest; People grow over time."

Katiecakes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #165
GlitterandSparkles.

I am currently:

I have to sit and talk to somebody or just cry and listen to music.

GlitterandSparkles. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #166
BetterBecca

I am currently:

When I very first started trying to stop, A couple of years now, I taught myself to knit. It is SO not like what it used to be when my mom tried to teach me back in the early 90's. It helps me keep my mind of somthing other than whaat is making me want to SI. And I get something out of it. I'm currently working on a new bag to take with me to the gym. :) I've been working on it a lot lately.

BetterBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #167
Freya
Bow chicka wow woww (used to be OverYou)

I am currently:

I think of why i definitely DONT want to do it

"I grew up in Slough in the 1970's. If you want to know what Slough was like back then, go there now." -Jimmy carr

"Swimming is good for you. Speshly if you're drowning" - Jimmy carr

Me: Mum what are you doing for ur 20th anniversary?
Mum: BIG party time! .. Dunno what your dads doing.

Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #168
in-a-pickle

I am currently:

I go on websites like this and talk to people who understand how I feel... :)

And get angry and throw stuff across my room. And mess the quilt and my pillows up. And take all the sheets off my bed, then i have to re-do them so it takes longer and there is more time for my urge to go away! :P

in-a-pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #169
Samuel

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by air35 View Post
listen to my cd or mp3 on full blast!! :)
This, works better with headphones and loud shouty music :D.

Sudukos always worked rather well for me, gives the brain something else to focus on. Obviously it won't work for everyone, but yeah.

Heaven makes me free of it,
and the rest is silence.

Proud supporter of a movement I'm not allowed to be proud of.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #170
crombs
Emily.

I am currently:

This might not be for everyone as it involves using scissors, but i like to make origami stars. lots and lots of origami stars, then tip the out onto my floor and pick them back up and put them in to the box where i keep them one by one. keeps my hands busy.

crombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #171
GlitterTrashDoll
eZine Editor

I am currently:

Music helps me so much. Just blasting out some songs most of the time works for me. If not I read things that some of my close friends have written/made for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
I just made a playlist, of happy dancey music last night. I wanted to cut, but I made this up, put it on and just danced until I was exhausted and felt better.
I did this. It helps so much! (:
The songs I picked never fail to put me in a good mood!

DILLIGAF

"it’s when you’re acting selflessly, that you are at your bravest"
- Four.
CTFxC'er forever.

GlitterTrashDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #172
AidansMommy
Speak Mercy-- Be the voice that brings change.

I am currently:

Playing the piano helps me.

AidansMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #173
dramaqueen
Mariana :)

- Drawing pretty and colorful things at the place you want to cut.
It works in two ways: first, you distract yourself for some time minding to draw the details and everything, second, if you cut, you'll spoile the draw. It also works to write positive things (or reminders) on your skin.
- Coloring (yep, being a kid) :)
- holding ice cubes when the urges are too bad.

Oh, one thing I find great: write down a list of the reasons you want to stop and keep it near, when you start to even think about it you'll have a very clear reminder of the reasons not to do it.

dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #174
ladybug
Just keep swimming

I am currently:

it probably sounds really simple but has helped me so much

get rid of any tool you have.

before when ive tried to stop i always kept one as a safety blanket but if you dont have anything you have to go out and buy them which gives you loads of time to think about it.

ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #175
Markus

I am currently:

I used to injure because I was anxious a lot of the time. For me carrying my tools around with me calmed me down. Another thing that worked for me is I would promise myself I would do some time consuming activity and if I still felt like injuring I would. Most of the time I chose not to.
I don't think these are very helpful to many, but that's what I did.
Don't pressure yourself too much and if you can wean your self slowly do that. As for recovery do it because you want to and not because you feel like you have to.
Sorry this is long.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #176
thisfire

don't run from problems. Facing them may seem harder but truly running only makes the problem 10x worse.
If you feel like harming, talk about it to a person you are in confidence with. No matter how little/big it is you will be surprised that talking can aid you in rethinking your intentions rather than acting on unhelpful thoughts. It really does work. Give it a try a step at a time first and see how you get on. That is one way I have stayed si free.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #177
melda
Amy

I am currently:

Stress balls are great for coping, the activity worker in the hospital I was in gave me one and Im still using it in this new hospital and its really helping me. It keeps my hands busy and releases the tension and takes my mind of things, I can throw it at the wal and catch it or throw it in the air or just fiddle with it, its great!

Last edited by melda : 02-10-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: sp

God Bless

xxx

melda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #178
Crayon,

Always keep a goal in mind, wether it be 'i won't self harm for the next week' or 'i'll be self harm free by this time next year' always keep a goal. Reward yourself at regular intervals throughout the journey, be it every week or every month.
If you think about it, look how far you've come and how long you've abstained from it, try double it.
Keep a playlist of 'up beat' music, such as techno/dance/pop music on your ipod/mp3 also to drown out thoughts enlist in some screamo music and turn it up full volume when needed.
Use exercise, be it dance, swimming, surfing/bodyboarding, full out running anything to just wear you down so you are physically exhausted to the point where you cannot do anything. Or even join a gym.
Eat healthily, this can sometimes help with mood which often impacts on our thought process.
Get out be social, avoid situations in which you are able to harm yourself.

But in the longrun you have to WANT to be free and if you are doing it for anyone but yourself its not worth it. Do it for yourself, treat yourself, let your skin relax.

My Blog, come pick at my brain.

Crayon, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #179
Nocs

I find a lot of ideas to turn the urge away from oneself very helpful!
A few of them I’ve already known and others are so creative. For instance the one with the piece of wood you cut into instead of your arm.

For some of you it could work to chew on something that’s really sour (in Germany there is a gum called “Center Shock”). Or maybe if you bite in a lemon as well ^^

Nocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #180
Gone.

Writing helps me... my mood determines the style. Sometimes a creative piece, sometimes a major rant.
Otherwise, listening to music on full blast and my 'special song' that tends to calm me down- stops me thinking.

Stress balls, ringing a friend are short-term, light-hearted distractions.
Or painting my nails for something to do.
Or coming on here.
Trying something new. Investing time into something I enjoy.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)