RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
theroguespoonie
The False Dichotomy

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - 14 day old wounds still bleeding - Infection?

Hello.

I've tried googling to get an answer but nothing really fits. And I'm also aware that no one here is a trained doctor - I just need advice.

I've got 3 incision that have been stitched up on my forearm. Due to my own mental health issues/stupidity I didn't go back to the doctors to get the stitches out. But the majority of the stitches have come out now - but I don't believe this is related to the stitches so to speak.

From the initial injury - every time the dressing has been removed (and it's always a safe dressing - hospital grade gauze) the wound has started bleeding again - and not a small amount like if you knock a scab. Like it blooms out and starts trickling down your arm within a few seconds.

I'm cleaning the wound and changing the dressing daily - but it's getting more painful. There's no pus or redness round the wound (apart from the healed/scar tissue areas) and I don't thinks its swollen, it also doesn't smell.

Should I just keep up as I am and not worry about the bleeding/pain because it's just slow healing. Or is it the fact that 14 days on I still need to have a dressing on it because otherwise it bleeds everywhere and soaks through my clothes/gets all over me.

I'd just really like some advice - even better if someone has been through similar and can tell me how it went for them healing wise.

Thank you to anyone that reads this.

Diagnosis:

Severe Depression, Severe Anxiety, Panic Disorder and Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder/Borderline Personality Disorder.

Medication:

Sertraline 100mg x1 daily, Amitriptyline 50mg x1 daily.

One Hug Given By:
Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
theroguespoonie
The False Dichotomy

I am currently:

Thanks for the reply - I've never seen/heard of that type of dressing - but it sounds like something my GP or Walk in Clinic might have. I know I need to be brave and go to get it checked.

When I get home I'll see if I have antiseptic cream to use with the gauze to tide me over till morning where I can get to the Minor Injuries Unit.

I did think it might be the gauze pulling the healing/scab away - but I just copied what theA&E doctors used to dress it once they'd stitched it.

I won't remove the stitched myself - I promise! I did that last year and I regret it a lot. Hopefully they can remove the last few at the Minor Injuries Clinic. The ones that have come out - came out when removing the gauze.

Thank you for giving me some suggestions that I can do at home until I can see a doctor. Sadly I've got no other types of dressing in my first aid kit apart from "burn plasters" but last time I used those on a burn - it removed half the skin on my hand and made it worse!

I'm sure I've said thank you like a million time - but thank you. I'm glad to have someone give me sensible suggestions when I can't think straight!

Diagnosis:

Severe Depression, Severe Anxiety, Panic Disorder and Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder/Borderline Personality Disorder.

Medication:

Sertraline 100mg x1 daily, Amitriptyline 50mg x1 daily.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)