RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 09-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
LittleBritain

Any ruinyourlifers?

Hey everyone!

Was anyone on here from ruin your life days? I'm bad with names but Jackthelad was one I remembered, there was also someone with a partner called Sam, but I had so many friends on here.

You guys really helped me a lot so thank you if you are still here.

LittleBritain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:19 AM   #2
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

I remember that forum name from somewhere! I don't know if I was here when it was called that though. Why did it use to be called that?

Forget the risk and take the fall if it's what you want it's worth it all

Twisted Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
LittleBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Fate View Post
I remember that forum name from somewhere! I don't know if I was here when it was called that though. Why did it use to be called that?
Guessing because selfharm can be seen as ruining your life! Harley had a big shift aswell and went from support to recovery.

LittleBritain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I heard it was originally not self-harm specific and more about risky activities? But now I'm wondering if I've dreamt an entire conversation about ruin.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

You're right Jenna. It was more a place to discuss any sort of self destructive activities. Not limited to self harm in particular. Harley made the Forum for a client so it wasn't his own project in the beginning.

Anyways, some of us old farts are still around. Though many have changed their username so they can be a bit tricky to spot around here.
I joined around the end of 2003. Can't believe it has been almost 20 years…..

Zurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I joined here in 2003. Had to make a new account in 2004 because of stalker reasons not because of anything I did.

I lurked on ruin and I remember when here was on ezboards does anyone else remember ezboards days?

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:18 PM   #7
irishruggersgirl
Finding a way to get to the light.

I am currently:

I first found this site back when it was ruinyourlife. I was 14 at the time and remember vividly thinking ‘I’m not the only one’ when I first discovered it. I can’t even remember how I did, but I’m pretty sure it was the the first time I didn’t feel alone. It was the first time I was saved.

I’ve come back to this site on and off since then. I’m 32 now and definitely not the same person I was. what I struggle with is different now, or maybe not maybe it’s the same issues just packaged differently I don’t know, I think I’ll always struggle but….. it does get better. And if I could tell 14 year old me who stumbled onto this website scared and confused, about all the things I have in my life now that are worth the struggle, I probably won’t have believed me.

Life is hard, and I’ll probably always come back to this site at the low points, but I think I’m ok with that.

'prefer et obdura; dolar hic tibi proderit olim'
be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you

irishruggersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
small light
=GodBless=

I am currently:

I was on ruin, I think my username was Porcelain (but I can’t remember!!)

I feel pretty heartbroken I’m still s/h’ing all these years later. Bummer.

F r e d d i e

I am raw meat in a slaughter house, packaged according to what you are hungry for . . .

small light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

You and me both Freddie. I'm not sure that's any comfort but some of us haven't managed to move on from the self harm. I'm not sure if that is solely on ourselves or on a system that has failed to deliver appropiate help. Maybe a combo.

Anyways, even though it's a depressing thought it isn't always just bad. The self harm means you're still here which in my book is a huge positive. And you're still fighting. And one day, who knows, we might both look 10+ years back and not be able to understand how we kept ourselves clean for so long. Hope is still here. Xx

Zurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I don't remember that site at all, as I only found site a few years ago and was introduced to it and others.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

I was on ruin!

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
sweepingly
✗my wishes over their airspace

I am currently:

I was on ruin but I was too scared to post anything, I just lurked. It amazes me that so many of us have been here for that long.

sweepingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #13
chkymnky36
**Its all about Choice**

I am currently:

Was anyone on here from ruin your life days? I'm bad with names but Jackthelad was one I remembered, there was also someone with a partner called Sam, but I had so many friends on here.

You guys really helped me a lot so thank you if you are still here.[/quote]

Hi yes I was here then x

chkymnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #14
SilentBoy
Use proper english, like what i does.....innit

I am currently:

I wasn't a member back then, just a browser. But I remember it.
I miss those days. Tbh I miss the "busy" days of RYL in general. I walked away from RYL a few years back, and when I can back it was almost a desolate wasteland in a manner of speaking (picture desert town with tumbleweed)

I truly miss the hustle and bustle! (And the meets!)

~ SilentBoy

Some people just need a high-five. To the face. With a chair.

SilentBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:35 AM   #15
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBoy View Post

I truly miss the hustle and bustle! (And the meets!)

People who weren't there couldn't imagine the way the place moved.
A post would emerge on the top of the forum, and be off the page in 20 minutes or so if nobody replied.

Being in NY, I liked how the UKers were on during my midday and early evening. Then the US/Canada people came on. Then it was Hawaii, Australia, Singapore in the late night. It was Ruin around the globe without a break

Of course there was no MySpace yet nevermind Facebook, Instagram etc. Web 1.0 (forums) was better than web 2.0 (socials)

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 12:27 AM   #16
Ash*

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
People who weren't there couldn't imagine the way the place moved.
A post would emerge on the top of the forum, and be off the page in 20 minutes or so if nobody replied.

Being in NY, I liked how the UKers were on during my midday and early evening. Then the US/Canada people came on. Then it was Hawaii, Australia, Singapore in the late night. It was Ruin around the globe without a break

Of course there was no MySpace yet nevermind Facebook, Instagram etc. Web 1.0 (forums) was better than web 2.0 (socials)
Web 1.0 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

"Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

Ash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #17
Blindspot..

I was on Ruin for around 6 months before it became Recover. My name used to be Lost My Smile.

It's a very different place around here now!

Blindspot.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 08:36 PM   #18
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

I was a lurker under a different profile

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:19 PM   #19
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

I was on ruin. I think I was fitface and then became Mrs rum on v2. Subsequently various things but I switched my username and my user title around because I use flemfatale for loads of stuff now and don't want this to pop up tbh.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #20
Rebecca0161

I was on Ruin for a short while - I think just before it switched to Recover. Can't remember what usernames I used though.. Gosh.. that's nearly 20 years ago now!

Rebecca0161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)