RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
je55y

I am currently:
Failed my A levels.

I've just found out I've failed all my A levels and feel even worse than ever.
ok, my school is bad and everyone got bad grades but everyone keeps putting me down over mine. Even my teacher.

I really don't know what to do or say, I'm not even aloud to resit. I can't stop crying and I didn't self harm for 4 weeks and now I've broke it.

Has anyone else failed?

je55y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I did so badly in my a levels! I thing I got a c and 2 d's which was not good.

Despite that I got a place at university and went on to do well graduating with a 2:1.

I can remember receiving my results and feeling so worried about what it would mean as I got u's in some coursework. I really doubted myself and felt so stupid when I compared myself to my friends.

That was 2003 so 11 years ago now :0 and I can honestly say that the older I get the less people care about a levels so whilst it feels like the end of the world now it won't be going forward.

Do you want to go to university? If so have you looked at clearing?

You say you can't resit is that a definite and have you exhausted all avenues including night school?

Is it possible to sit down with a teacher for a chat about what to do now?

Wjat were your grades and what did you get for your as levels?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I failed my general studies and resat it and got 119/120.
And then I failed my degree and went somewhere else and got a 1:1.

Failing doesn't necessarily mean you've done something wrong, and it certainly doesn't mean that you can't bounce bcak.

What does the school say?

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

I haven't got any A levels but I got into uni. I had to drop out for health reasons but am now doing a degree with the OU. There are always options. Have you looked into foundation degrees or courses at a local college? As Talaiporia said, you can bounce back from this.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I also don't have any a levels and I did an access course and now I'm studying at a redbrick uni. You do have options.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

*hugs* I was almost kicked out of school, I had bad grades all through high school. At least three teachers considered me stupid and a bad person, and tried to make me fail. One of them wanted to give me a failing grade when I had passed all other subjects and needed a passing one to sit my exams.

As the others said, I know you must feel.really disheartened right now, but there must be other options at this point. Are you sure you can't resit? Is there someone you can ask for advice?

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I didn't do my A-Levels either but I'm doing a degree now.
There are loads of options out there and I know it must feel horrible for you at the moment, but it's not the be all and end all.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
je55y

I am currently:

I got U's though... I tried so hard and I have no idea what went wrong.

They're making me resit but I have to do Btecs and my teacher said it's because I'm not capable. Even my mum keeps putting me down saying if I do have a word it won't change anything and I've still failed and that makes me feel even worse.

I don't want to go to university, I want to join the army but if I can't pass A levels then there's no way I can pass military tests.

Old 17-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
in_BPD_hell

I am currently:

a levels aren't for everyone
comparing a levels to military exams isn't a good idea. Everyone has something that they are good at and excel in. If you are interested in something then you tend to do well. Try not to compare the two as you may well do fine in military.. do you need specific grades to enter?

Can you keep yourself safe from self harming?

I don't understand myself... I'm searching for the person I am, and the person I want to be..

in_BPD_hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

If you want to join the army I'd advise you to a local army careers centre and ask about what the entry tests are like. I think they place more of an emphasis on fitness than academia, but at least if they say roughly what sort of proficiency in English and Maths they want you can try and see if there are any free courses nearby? Usually they say things like "at least a C grade in GCSE English and Maths". And if you don't already have a C then often in colleges and adult education centres you can do the GCSE again for free so you can get that C grade.

If you don't want to go to university then your A level results wont really matter to be honest. If you did want to go to university later then you have other options like doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma (which I did) or going through the Open University (who don't have entry requirements).

Or you could look for jobs you are interested in. Maybe if you want to something physical you could look into apprenticeship schemes which are aimed at people your age.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

i'd agree with the going to see the armys career people suggestion. Most of the people I knwo in the military went in straight after GCSEs, which implies to me that you don't need A-levels.

I'm not sure though as when I tried to get in I was trying to gte in as an officer and in the RAF which may be different to be army I guess - my mental health diagnosis prevented me from getting in the the end though... (well there are ways od bypassing that by being in the reserves for x years and stuff but I've changed my career goals since then)

as a rule anyway the tests just match you to potential roles, the higher you score the more jobs/roles that are available to you. There are also practice tests on the army website that may be worth looking at, and the army careers people can give you all sorts of paperwork and software and stuff to help you to revise and practice. They give you all sorts to help you to prepare for the fitness elements too.

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

My brother failed his gcses, took a level 2 maths and English course which allowed him to go to college. He did a BTEC, just passed it. Went to uni, failed his degree.
Now he is a engineer in the army.

My brother is really poor at academic work and exams yet he has a very good career in the army. He has been in the army for 6 years now and working his way up the ranks.

He had to be very fit but he wasn't required to have any qualifications.

Honestly I don't think you need to worry about your a levels if the army is your career goal. You can even do your degree with army later if you want.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
je55y

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_BPD_hell View Post
a levels aren't for everyone
comparing a levels to military exams isn't a good idea. Everyone has something that they are good at and excel in. If you are interested in something then you tend to do well. Try not to compare the two as you may well do fine in military.. do you need specific grades to enter?

Can you keep yourself safe from self harming?
I know I can't really compare them but they're meant to be really hard and the school say I'm not capable to do A levels never mind anything else. I feel like such a failure, and I only need a C in GCSE english and maths but I'd like to have extra education to fall back on just in case

I'm trying, I lasted 4 weeks but since these results I can't help it.

Old 18-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
je55y

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooke View Post
Hi Jesse,

Try not to worry too much about A levels especially if you want to join the Army through the ranks. I have done the tests to join the RAF and they are not like A levels.

The tests are based on your understanding of English and ability to do basic maths and algebra. That might scare you but they really are basic. There are practice tests you can do and I can find you some links if you like.

When I did mine with around 7/8 other people, many did fail but many came unprepared. I myself am weak in English and verbal understanding (as I am dyslexic) but I made sure to practice hard and got a score worthy of being an engineer.

Yes they do care about fitness but academia is also important too, but with practice you will be fine.

If you want help with any of it, feel free to ask, I would be more than happy to help. I know we've spoken before about the military as we both want to join.

Also bare in mind that SH will only weaken your chances to join... I know I may be sounding blunt, but really think about what you want.

One more thing, A levels really don't matter as much as schools let on. At uni, the first thing they told us was to forget about our A levels, and many of the people on my course got in through different ways such as apprenticeship courses and Btecs.

Don't let anyone put you down.

Rooke

Thank you! That really helped me. I know A levels are nothing when it comes to the army but I think it's more the fact that I've failed at another thing, again. And I'm sick of failing and terrified or failing again.

I'm trying not to sh, I'm getting better at not doing it I think, I lasted 4 weeks, I just hope the army never notice. As mad as this sounds, I know the army would make me so happy as gruelling and tiring it is and the sights you see (I'm sure you think similar?)

Thanks

Old 18-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Bit different, but my dad was in the police for a while, and he did tests to get in and they were GCSE level - I remember because he told me that he did an English alevel while his colleagues were studying because he was the only one who already had the right level.

Old 19-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

If you are adament that you want to complete some more education before trying for the army (though I think other people's suggestions of visiting a local army training centre to find out your options is a good idea), what about going to a new school/college? It sounds like your school isn't the best, and maybe a fresh start would be really helpful for you.

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #17
The Stolen One
Caz

I am currently:

Just wanted to say that 3 years ago my brother was in exactly the same position, he pretty much completely failed his A levels and was devastated. He kinda hit a end, like no uni would even accept him for a foundation course which was literally his only hope - no uni would accept his grades for a undergrad course. His only options were btecs too.
But! He did them, and did really really well and very easily secured a place at uni where he's now there and enjoying it! Going to college did him so much good, like the change in him is huge, so although he had an extra 2 years, it was so worth it and he became ready for uni etc which really he wasn't before.

What I'm trying to say is at the point of his A level results it totally sucked, but actually it was by far the best thing for him, if not he wouldn't have experienced college and made his best friends there and been so ready for uni. Now, it doesn't matter at all he failed his As, he did so well at his btecs that they only give one about that now. It's not stopped him in any way.

There will always be a happy ending. If its not happy then its not yet the end.
Spongebob

The Stolen One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #18
carpoolguy

Well I can sympathise since I failed all my GCSEs. I was very depressed for about 6 or 7 years over it and I convinced myself that because I was bad at education, I was bad at everything. Now I've found out that you don't need pieces of paper to be successful in life, but it took me a long while to learn that!

Have you considered getting a job? Or are you dead set on education?

carpoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
je55y

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoolguy View Post
Well I can sympathise since I failed all my GCSEs. I was very depressed for about 6 or 7 years over it and I convinced myself that because I was bad at education, I was bad at everything. Now I've found out that you don't need pieces of paper to be successful in life, but it took me a long while to learn that!

Have you considered getting a job? Or are you dead set on education?
I want to focus on getting A levels then go for a job. I just want that bit extra to fall back on in case my dream job did fail.

thanks, and im sorry you felt like that.

Old 21-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Good luck today!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)