RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 24-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #101
Harley's Dad

What a ridiculous situation we could end up in, The One Who! So part of Scotland might vote to go independent, but not all of it. It has all the makings of what we used to call in the army a bugger's muddle. Could the Islands really do their own thing - I very much doubt it (though they'd have my sympathy). And if they seriously started to consider seceding to, say, Norway, what a double buggers muddle that would be ...

God, how I hate the SNP for stirring up this witches' brew, and I positively squirm when I now see Salmond making another of his self-righteous (and probably dishonest) statements on television. And I can't even vote on the issue! But I remain convinced that, in the event of a Yes vote succeeding, the rest of the UK should then have their own vote as to just what the terms of the subsequent secession should be. What a sad business the whole thing is - and there's still 5 months to go!

Tony.

Never surrender.

Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #102
squirrelspit

I am currently:

I think theyre hoping to go back to Norway.

People here think they can make it alone just because they dont have to venture off the Island for anything. They dont realise exactly whats coming in. For example, Last year 2.2 million pounds was spent on locum employees within the NHS here which eventually put the Orkney NHS trust into the red.

I think that people think they can make any money they want from harnessing the wind power here and selling wind turbines etc.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #103
Harley's Dad

Now, with only about ten weeks to go, I'm heartily sick of the whole debate. Politicians on both sides mouthing so-called facts and figures, none of them to be trusted - particularly for me Alex Salmond, who I personally find exceedingly slimy.

I like to think that in the end the Stay United vote will win (and I may yet put a small amount of money on it, just to help ease the tension). But there's no doubt that lasting bitterness will ensue - sadly.

Nor is it fair, in principle, that the rest of the UK should have no say in the matter ...

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 15-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #104
Harley's Dad

Well here we are with only three days to go to the actual vote. I find it frightening to consider just what is at stake. If the Yes vote wins then there's no doubt that the remainder of the UK will lose a significant amount of its present clout in world affairs, and perhaps its place on the Security Council at the UN.

The damage to NATO will be significant with the present UK's already disgracefully run down military capability diminished still further. NATO's nuclear deterrent will be significantly damaged by demands from an independent Scotland that Trident be removed from Faslane (has Salmond really thought through the SNP's ban on nuclear weapons through? You can't disinvent weapons and, since its use in August 1945, the atomic bomb has proved the most life-saving invention of the past century as a result of its deterrent effect.)

Other NATO nations are hardly going to applaud an independent Scotland for kicking away part of the foundations of the present status quo, particularly at a time when Putin has publlcly bragged that Russia has more nuclear warheads than the US. Nor are they necessarily going to welcome such a troublemaker into either NATO or the EU.

Perhaps less importantly, but sad none-the-less, is that whichever way the vote goes on Thursday some 50% of the Scottish population are going to feel seriously embittered for very many years to come ...

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 15-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #105
The Stolen One
Caz

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley's Dad View Post
Perhaps less importantly, but sad none-the-less, is that whichever way the vote goes on Thursday some 50% of the Scottish population are going to feel seriously embittered for very many years to come ...
I actually think this is quite an issue! An unavoidable one, but I think for Scotland if no wins then there might be some uproar from yes'. On the news yesterday it was saying that if, in more rural areas, people are putting up 'no' signs, some houses/ property are getting vandalised with words like 'scum'. If they're acting almost violently already....

Saying that, I'm sure 'no' is the right way to go! It's becoming more and more obvious that yes has far too many risks. I don't even think most 'yes' voters are fully informed, some of it seems to be a bit hopping on the bandwagon now. I mean, how many more businesses/ banks need to declare their intent to leave, or how many more financial company's need to declare concern before people think it through?! Risk is lovely if it works, but this feels like a risk way too far.
And no, I don't think this is scaremongering like salmond is claiming!! I think he's in a huge pile of denial!

Plus, a lot of his plans involve joining the EU, which for fact they cannot do for at least 5 years as the EU won't accept anyone for that long. I also find it concerning that places like Korea are backing independence...

There will always be a happy ending. If its not happy then its not yet the end.
Spongebob

The Stolen One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #106
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stolen One View Post
I I don't even think most 'yes' voters are fully informed, some of it seems to be a bit hopping on the bandwagon now.
That's becoming a problem everywhere. I don't know enough about the Scotland/UK issues to take sides but on all manner of issues I see media promoting rather superficial understanding of issues and problems.

Over and over I'm seeing people "for" something. Then they get the thing they wanted. Then they are sorry to find out they got something they didn't bargain for

One way I see people getting confused is when media makes issues seem to be about A vs B when its really about C vs D.

I see people being asked if they think there should be more reliance on "clean" fuels. Since people see getting off coal and oil as good they say "yes" to polls. Then people are shocked when a local coal energy plant is knocked down and their electric rates go through the roof. Had they been polled about the knockdown they would have said no to it. These slippery polls are not quite accidental in their nature

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #107
Harley's Dad

Certainly, The Stolen One, there have been ugly sides to this already. A Labour MP a couple of weeks ago was unable to finish his speech in the face of aggressive Yes campaigners overwhelming his attempts to explain his point of view. And at about the same time a large photo on the front page of the Times showed a vulgar, coarse and hairy fellow, whose IQ was clearly less than half his weight in kilograms, scowling furiously through his Yes stickers into the camera with his middle finger raised. It might have made even Salmond blush.

But hopefully the majority of those voting are a bit more moderate than this. What leaves me worried at this stage is whether those voting fully realise the massive implications of what is at stake. Salmond has shown himself capable of shrugging off realistic questions about the future economy of an independent Scotland and claiming them as mere scaremongering. But if Scotland really is one of the richest countries in the world, as he claims, I find it curious that such a large percentage of their population chooses to live and work elsewhere - including London and Westminster where so many of his bogeymen exist (including a large number of Scottish MPs!).

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 17-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #108
Salazar
An individual bursting out of a bubble

I am currently:

Gordon Brown with the speech of his life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39bBV7CBJk#t=10

It goes to show, that no matter how bad things get for me, there is still always one thing which brings me happiness. I must cling to this for it is the making of me, the beginning of my resurgance and the fightback epitomised. I will defeat my demons.

An ode to joy
A road to love
A note to keep your head above
The rising tide's not yet a flood on this shore

Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #109
The One Who

I am currently:

Tomorrow is the big day, and it seems that you cannot go anywhere or talk to anyone without being asked which way you are voting. It's not only extremely annoying, but also quite intimidating to be almost ambushed by a campaigning group as you are trying to go about your daily business. They make the chuggers look good!

Either way, it's going to happen and a lot of people are going to be pissed. Apparently the registration level is at 97%, the highest for any election; whether all of those vote is another matter though! Having said that, I think there should have been some limit on the voting difference, for example to have a 60:40 majority, as the way the current polls are looking it's going to be tight, which never bodes well for constitutional changes such as this.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #110
Serendipity.
fabulous.

Annoying and intimidating is right!

Also, I work in a shop that a lot of tourists come into, and so many of them seem to think it's acceptable to ask me which way I'm voting and argue about it! I've had a lot of them ask where they can get badges and such to support the Yes campaign and, irritatingly, many of them don't even seem to know much about the issues, but regardless they want to support a poor wee oppressed country such as ourselves. Very frustrating!

Anyway, I actually have nothing useful to add.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #111
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Having said that, I think there should have been some limit on the voting difference, for example to have a 60:40 majority, as the way the current polls are looking it's going to be tight, which never bodes well for constitutional changes such as this.

I was reading that polls might not be as close they can see. I can't say one way or the other but I have seen some highly propped up polls go up in smoke on election day during the last five years.

Are the neck-and-neck Scottish polls a load of nonsense? Leading pollster admits and that independence referendum could be his industry's 'Waterloo'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3DcJ8vKe1

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #112
Gofeen

I will be lad when tomorrow is over and I hope common sense prevails and we don't destroy the union. I wonder if the yes voters have any clear idea of the implications of it, not just for us in Scotland, but the whole of the U.K. and indeed the world economy and defence in general. I trust there are more principled no voters around than those shouting yes in the west of Scotland today. Time will tell but sadly however the vote goes I believe a lot of damage ad division has already established itself within the Scottish people. I am a no!

Gofeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #113
Harley's Dad

Yes Gofeen, the implications are huge and I pray that enough of those voting realise just how much is at stake. Salmond and Sturgeon may be hugging themselves tomorrow - but so too will Putin at seeing an important link in the West's defence being demolished with the UK diminished and part of the West's nuclear deterrence in tatters ...

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 18-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #114
The One Who

I am currently:

I have voted, and there was a massive group of 'Yes' campaigners outside the polling station. They weren't intimidating, although I did find it annoying to have to walk through their conversation as they were standing on either side of the door entrance. Also, I actually had to queue to vote! Normally the station is silent and still and the staff are really excited just to see someone come in.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #115
Sneckie
RYL First Aid Advisor

I am currently:

I voted in the pouring rain. Just one NO supporter outside. Tehn the police inside. Quite busy for a change.

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

Kahlil Gibran

Sneckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #116
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I have just voted. Pretty quiet here! Though it did look busy when I passed on my way to work this morning.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #117
Optimus Pirate
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I voted earlier, and I also had to walk through a mob of yes supporters which I found rather annoying... they even asked me which way I was going to vote as I walked in, as though they'd be able to change my mind at that late stage...

It wasn't mobbed when I voted, but wasn't empty either, and considering I work shifts so was able to vote when most people would be at work (around 3pm) I was expecting it to be empty!
Having said that, when I passed several polling stations on the bus to work at 7am today there were queues coming out the doors!

More than a little fruity...

Optimus Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #118
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

I've been and voted yes, according to the NO supporters (all two of them) outside the poling station the YES campaign is already beat, we shall see

zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #119
Harley's Dad

We won't know the final result until about 7 tomorrow morning and we won't even be allowed guesses by the media until after voting closes at 10 tonight. But my fingers remain firmly crossed for NO ...

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 18-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #120
squirrelspit

I am currently:

I voted today. no protesters from either side outside the polling station. no police. none of the people working in any of the polling stations have been allowed to publicly support either side in the run up so as not to look like anything might be swayed in the votes.

Good old Orkney <3

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)