RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:
The RYL ve-gang

Greetings fellow vegans or people who might be interested in exploring vegan-ness.

Ophiuchus and I decided we should have a thread to share our vegan finds and reviews of such products.

Alas it is lunch time so I can't write any recommendations now but I shall come back later to share some suggestions!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Greetings fellow virgins.

I think people might feel uncomfortable discussing this on a public board?
It is a very personal topic and a lot of people don't like sharing in a non private place?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I was SO confused when I saw this on LFV; I didn't know if you were being serious or not and then I saw the fake quote

Old 05-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
I was SO confused when I saw this on LFV; I didn't know if you were being serious or not and then I saw the fake legit quote

I think I found a new hobby.
And yeah, I saw it on lfv too and it made me lol to see it out of context.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

Unbreakable's topic sounds fun!

Forget the risk and take the fall if it's what you want it's worth it all

Twisted Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Whaaaaaat???

Bet they won't have it my Sainsbury's though, they don't even have the vegan kitkat :( Have you tried it?

Please report back when you try the new buttermilk range!

Old 09-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #7
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I just googled the crunchie and it looks soooooo good!

Old 10-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #8
Auror.
Camden

Well now I'm jealous. I've never seen candy like that here!

I just got a used instant pot recently and am planning to attempt making a soup in the next few weeks!

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Well now I'm jealous. I've never seen candy like that here!

I just got a used instant pot recently and am planning to attempt making a soup in the next few weeks!
Is an instant pot a soup maker? What kind of soup will you make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
I haven’t, I’m going to see if I get to my big Sainsbury’s next week.
I’ve not even had a sniff of the vegan KitKat - I think they’re a myth.

I saw on FB that McDonalds are getting with the times and teaming up with Beyond Meat to make a McPlant Burger. It’ll be cooked separately from all meat products and staff must wear gloves while assembling it.
Let me know how you get on in Sainsbury's! I've only had the kitkat once; it was randomly available in a little Sainsbury's in Birmingham. Lio says she got some of the Buttermilk thingies in WH Smith, which was the only reason I accepted her decision to visit a WH Smith :P

That's exciting about the McPlant Burger. I must admit that I just have the veggie dippers because I think the only issue with it is potential cross-contamination of the wrap with milk products and I don't tend to be too fussy about that.

I'm off to Wagamama's tomorrow where I will be enjoying the exceptional Vegatsu!

Old 11-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I tried the Buttermilk Snickers, it was pretty good

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #11
Auror.
Camden

Instant Pot is a... pressure cooker I think? So you can do lots of things in it! I usually do gluten free pasta in it and then mix it with marinara sauce to have a big thing for the week.

I have two soup recipes that I found, one for split pea soup and one for lentil soup. Unsure which I will attempt, I think it might depend if I can find the right ingredients when I go grocery shopping or not. The stores have been out of lots of stuff lately and I have zero clue what the majority of the ingredients are (i.e the ones I am not just leaving out because I hate lol).

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 14-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
Auror.
Camden

Popping back to report that I successfully made the split pea soup, heavily modified to remove all of my most hated foods! And the two things I chopped up I could have just not put in. So literally all I had to do was dump everything in the instant pot and turn it on, then 45 minutes later, I had soup! Magic, I tell you!

Seeing if I can attach the (very heavily modified) recipe. I don't particularly want to link to the original because it was on a website that made iffy health/wellness claims (which it turns out most vegan recipes seem to be ugh). But basically it contained a bunch of other spices and also carrots and garlic and onions (which are my most hated foods).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.57.41 AM.jpg (14.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Auror. : 14-09-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Old 14-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
Iamcatbug
Cat

I have to admit, I’m a meat eater (don’t hate me!) but I would love to cut back and eat more environmentally friendly. So I’m here for suggestions and advice!

If I have worded my post wrong let me know.

Iamcatbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #14
Auror.
Camden

I can't speak for everyone, but I think as long as you're doing what works best and feels best for you, then you're fine. If that includes eating meat, then you do you. I personally REALLY hate the preachy vegans who think everyone needs to go vegan.

Have you ever heard of Meatless Monday? I know that used to be a thing where people used to do one day a week being vegetarian, and then ate meat the rest of the week. You could start with something like that, or even just start with one meal a week, or batch cook one recipe that's meatless and see how you feel about it?

There's also so many tasty fake meat options out there now. But I will caveat those with pretty much any packaged meat (or dairy) substitute isn't going to be environmentally friendly. So you'll kind of have to decide if those are something you want to include in your swaps or not.

If it helps to know, I originally went vegetarian, then went slowly vegan over the course of about two years. I started out still eating vegetarian if I went out to eat, but trying to eat vegan at home. One at a time, I experimented with and found swaps for things that I was eating that weren't vegan. So maybe I started out with a plant based milk option, and once I found one I liked then I tried to swap something else. Once I was eating vegan at home, I started trying to find swaps when I went out to eat, though this mostly just meant I stopped going out to eat because it's too frustrating to mess with. Honestly, I think part of why I've been able to stick with it so long (10+ years now) is because of how slowly I did it. Now I will get food delivered on occasion from a couple of restaurants, one of which is 100% vegan, and the other is 100% vegetarian and certified kosher so can safely make a lot of vegan options.

That said, I know plenty of people who go vegetarian/vegan for environmental reasons and still really love meat/dairy. So they'll eat mostly vegan at home, but go out to eat regularly and get non vegan things. Or if they're at work or something and there's non vegan food offered they'll eat it. You're absolutely allowed to pick and choose what works for you, and it can be flexible.

I've always said I'd probably start eating dairy or eggs again if I had a way to know it was locally sourced, etc. since that is actually more environmentally friendly than a lot of plant based options. But it also just weirds me out and gets too complicated and expensive to figure out. For now I need to be able to do all of my shopping at one big box grocery store.

I still try to get cleaning/bath products that are certified cruelty free, but not always necessarily vegan. Again it's just a combination of price, effectiveness, and availability that factors into that decision.

Also, I will buy leather now too. I used to not buy leather at all and only buy vegan options, but I've realised that if I'm going to use something for years and years, or until it gets too worn out, that I'd rather buy a leather product and take care of it versus something plastic. So again it's not strictly vegan, but I've really moved away from being so militant about it over the years as I've realised that being militant about everything being vegan isn't necessarily the environmentally friendly option.

Last edited by Auror. : 14-09-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Old 15-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #15
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Popping back to report that I successfully made the split pea soup, heavily modified to remove all of my most hated foods! And the two things I chopped up I could have just not put in. So literally all I had to do was dump everything in the instant pot and turn it on, then 45 minutes later, I had soup! Magic, I tell you!
Sounds good! Glad it went well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcatbug View Post
I have to admit, I’m a meat eater (don’t hate me!) but I would love to cut back and eat more environmentally friendly. So I’m here for suggestions and advice!
No hate here, I'm completely with Camden; for several reasons I have no interest in being preachy. I'm not sure how much I have to add to what the others have already said to be honest! Swapping little things is a good way to make a difference without too much upheaval for you, so like Camden said, you could start with plant milks. I have different recommendations depending on what you usually use milk for.

Also, big surprise, my Sainsbury's did decide to stock one of the buttermilk bars! The normal free-from section was just full of the usual crap no one wants* but right at the check-out in the healthy rubbish section I found a fake mars bar! Haven't tried it yet, but very exciting. But also sad because I want a crunchie.

And finally, if anyone else's life is emptier without Percy Pigs due to the beeswax content, Aldi do their own version which doesn't have beeswax - Leo the Lion, highly recommend =D

(*as in, that I don't want)

Old 15-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #16
Auror.
Camden

One day I want to come there to see what vegan goodies you have!

I'd try recommending brands but I have the feeling most of our brands are different to yours! But in general, if you're doing cold milk I like unsweetened almond milk just fine. Oat milk is okay but a bit chalky to me. For something hot or steamed, almond milk is a no go because I think it gets too bitter. I like hot/steamed soy or coconut milk though!

Old 16-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #17
Auror.
Camden

I just tried Oatly and found it chalky.

I didn't know you had Califia Farms there! I really enjoy it! My favorite to use is one of their almond milk creamers for my coffee tea!

Old 22-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
Auror.
Camden

Oh, that's super disappointing. I hope they decide to have them there eventually. I actually order a shelf stable one online through my grocery store so I order six or seven at a time and get free shipping. They have refrigerated ones which are the same, but smaller containers, so it actually works out cheaper to get the shelf stable. I like the hazelnut one the best!

I like their blonde roast cold brew. I dislike the mocha ones. I dislike chocolate and coffee together in general so it isn't just them. If I can't find their blonde roast cold brew I usually get a different brand of blonde roast or get their normal unsweetened one. I find the plain unsweetened cold brews in general are a little bit bitter, where the blonde roast isn't bitter.

I made a lentil vegetable soup in my instant pot earlier in the week! I kind of messed up and made WAY too much soup though. I gave a bunch to my mom and froze some too. I think I will have to make some changes next time I make it, but it seems nice! I now have three things I can make in my instant pot so I think I will rotate between the three each week or so.

Old 22-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #19
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Great that your instant pot is going well!

Alas I don't drink coffee so cannot partake in the other discussions but I shall offer that I finally managed to semi-successfully make gluten-free vegan brownies o_O

Old 22-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #20
Auror.
Camden

Brownies sound delicious! I love when things are gluten free too. I think I must have some type of gluten sensitivity. I can handle a little bit but too much makes me really sick.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)