Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 20-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:
the recovery college

ye, I went back to lurking for a bit... not intensional

but I now have a quick question... long story short the CMHT have taken 7 months to assess me and now they have basically sent me a link tot he recovery college to work through the DBT techneiqus on there with a few sessions with my care coordinator on top to help me wth some of the techneiques

I was just wondering if anyone else had used the recovery college and if it was helpful? I have been using it independently on and off for 6 months and I've not found it useful but not sure if I am just being harsh so wondering about others experiences

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 20-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

I am not in the uk so a bit unfamiliar with your how your system works and what is offered but i just snuck in to say that i don't Think not benefitting from something is the same as being harsh. If it hasn't helped you so far with what they are offering then it's unlikely to turn out much different now. And it isn't being harsh. At all. Being overly critical is a bit harsh but genuinely trying and failing to find it helpful is not. We're all different people and even though some things are found to be helpful by the majority there Will always be people who won't benefit from the same offer. And it isn't on you.

So please don't Think that you haven't given it enough of a Chance if you feel that you have tried. Trust your gut instincts.

Zurg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Auror.
Camden

I feel like six months is more than enough time to give something a go and know if it is or isn't working for you. That said, do you think there would there be a difference doing it independently versus doing it with additional support and guidance? It's okay if not, but I know for me sometimes there can be a difference doing something with additional support and input versus just trying on my own.

Also, dbt definitely isn't for everyone (I wish professionals would stop treating it like it is). I personally hate dbt and don't find it effective, and recent providers I have had said that for people with autism especially that a modified form of CBT might actually be more beneficial. Do they have anything else besides DBT you would be able to try? That might at least tell you if your issue is with DBT itself or with the program as a whole. (I vaguely remember you mentioning potentially being neurodivergent so I apologise if that is inaccurate or irrelevant information.)

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurg View Post
I am not in the uk so a bit unfamiliar with your how your system works and what is offered but i just snuck in to say that i don't Think not benefitting from something is the same as being harsh. If it hasn't helped you so far with what they are offering then it's unlikely to turn out much different now. And it isn't being harsh. At all. Being overly critical is a bit harsh but genuinely trying and failing to find it helpful is not. We're all different people and even though some things are found to be helpful by the majority there Will always be people who won't benefit from the same offer. And it isn't on you.

So please don't Think that you haven't given it enough of a Chance if you feel that you have tried. Trust your gut instincts.

thanks. I often overreact to stuff so now I may be slightly over critical of my own reactions/feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
I feel like six months is more than enough time to give something a go and know if it is or isn't working for you. That said, do you think there would there be a difference doing it independently versus doing it with additional support and guidance? It's okay if not, but I know for me sometimes there can be a difference doing something with additional support and input versus just trying on my own.

Also, dbt definitely isn't for everyone (I wish professionals would stop treating it like it is). I personally hate dbt and don't find it effective, and recent providers I have had said that for people with autism especially that a modified form of CBT might actually be more beneficial. Do they have anything else besides DBT you would be able to try? That might at least tell you if your issue is with DBT itself or with the program as a whole. (I vaguely remember you mentioning potentially being neurodivergent so I apologise if that is inaccurate or irrelevant information.)

it's a fair point that using it guided may be different to using it on my own... And yes you've remembered correctly on the neurodivengence, diagnosed with autism and ADHD and awaiting assesments for sensory processing issues

I am not a fan of DBT, however I have not had it in an official capacity before... but I have tried mindfullness (which appears to be a main pillar of DBT) and it seemed to result in my sensory issues (I am hyposentivite to light and sound) getting worse and me feeling really disorientated...

I think their logic is that I have tried CBT and CAT before so DBT is the next thing, but the CBT and CAT were so long ago I reckon they are worth another go personally... I have a meeting with care coordinator tomorrow afternoon so will find out more about their plans then, but right now I am feeling a bit frustrated and invalidated... just keep reminding myself that the CMHT are understaffed, underfunded, and overstrentched so it's probably thatt hey can't actually provide much beyond a website anf guided self help

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)