I agree with the people here saying that they think it's the way people say things & what they mean by it that's the problem.
I can see your point in everything that's said, & think that changing language such as 'shellshock' just seems really pointless & takes away the meaning by just chucking jargon at it.. But with the words such as 'cripple' and 'nigger', etc., it's just changing the language in order not to offend people. If a word becomes a term which is generally used to insult someone, I suppose you could say that there's a need for a new word.
I also deliberated about the difference between the words c*nt, tw*t, etc., & I think that it's just the sound of the word that people don't like. It's a very short, sharp word with one syllable and a harsh sound. That's probably what differentiates that one, anyway.. *shrugs*.
& I suppose if you could argue that they're "just words" then it doesn't matter if they're changed/given strange meanings, etc.. Just playing devil's advocate ;)
Interesting post though =)
x
|