This is something I can very much relate to as well so you're cetainly not alone! I pick up some some frustration from your post about not knowing WHY you experience this so I just wanted to say I think eventually you will get to the bottom of what's happening, it just might be a longer process than you would like and you might have to go through a few times of feeling , 'no that isn't what's happening for me' That's okay and that still gets you closer to understanding this for yourself.
I'm trying to figure out some of the reasons why I struggle with some of the things you mention so here are my thoughts about what could be happening for me. You may or may not relate to some of these but it could set some thoughts of for you. Essentially these are some ways my brain trolls me into making daily tasks seem harder than they actually are.
- From being overwhelmed when I was unwell my brain remembers that doing stuff like replying to messages etc felt overwhelming so why would I want to do it now? Maybe it will be overwhelming and I'll be unable to cope? Cue massive avoidance in response to that thought.
- If I do one task then that will just lead to more feelings or tasks that could also feel overwhelming e.g reply to one message but then feel guilty about not replying to other messages, or get up early and I might be faced with something else overwhelming so wouldn't it be easier to stay in bed? And so and so forth
- I sometimes feel like I will fail at whatever I try so my brain says why start trying to make these small changes, when have you ever achieved them?
- My brain sometimes trolls me and says 'why do you deserve to work towards the life you want? At work this affects me less because other people depend on me but if it's just for me it's harder to care about what I'm doing sometimes.
- Sometimes I just don't know how to do some of these daily tasks and that's not my fault, it's just that I've been unwell a few times now where I've just been trying to get through life. Understandably some things fall by the wayside and some of these are daily life admin tasks
If none of these resonate with you that's absolutely fine. I was wondering some other things when I read your post
- How long have you struggled with this?
- What strategies at work have helped you?