View Single Post
Old 28-06-2022, 05:09 AM   #2
Auror.
Camden
 
Auror.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

In my opinion, as long as there's no medical reason to keep them covered, it's fine to show. I don't mean that in a shove them in everyone's face, just, if they don't need to be covered they don't need to be covered.

I wouldn't necessarily show them if I were going to therapy or someplace I specifically expected other self harmers to be. I'd also cover up around family. But just general walking about in public I would not and do not care. The main thing is I would keep them covered in a job or someplace like at a gym, basically if I was getting dirty or sweaty or had a level of professionalism where appearance supposedly mattered.

Everyone's going to have their own comfort level, so this isn't me advocating that everyone should be open about it. I know when I was much younger I would cover up year round. But as the years have gone on, I've gotten much less worried about what people think, would much rather be comfortable in hot weather, and am much safer in my own circumstances. I'm not a minor where showing scars could get me in trouble or put me in situations beyond my control.

Basically if there's any situation where safety or livelihood could be compromised (like at a job or with family or something), cover up if you need to.



Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.


You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.


Auror. is offline