View Single Post
Old 23-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
Isoverity
 
Isoverity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
That's really interesting Jack. I love seeing how spelling has changed and how some of the old stuff gives us at least a little clue as to how people pronounced things.

Like herbs vs erbs and football vs soccer lol. Its funny that in US the spellings etc are actually often closer to what original language was in England. US says "soccer" because British did ("soccer" is from an abbreviation for AsSOCiation Football, the ‘official’ name for the game - plus the addition of the suffix –er - as in "rugger").

As for spoken word, I saw a good video explaining how the sound of Shagespearean English could be investigation by discerning where rhymes didn't match speaking modern English


https://phys.org/news/2010-10-profes...ds-accent.html



"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote