If none of the above work, there are alternatives- you can ask your doctor if he can refer you to Cognitive Behavoural Therapy or a psychologist... if it's anything like what we have around here, a psychiatrist will do an initial assessment alongside a mental health nurse anyway.
I personally regret ever going on anti-depressants... I have tried coming off them, but withdrawal symptoms can last more than a year, and it was either have a year gap in University and work to come off them or go back on them and get the side effects for 2 months while being able to stay on my studies... I think you can guess the option I took.
In my case, anti-depressants more increased my motivation to do positive things than directly lower the depression, and in my area that's the basis of prescribing the medication; as more of a crutch so, along with therapy, you can eventually learn to walk without said crutch so to speak.
If you're after other alternatives, I have found acupuncture extremely helpful... it's had a similar effect on me as anti-depressants, but no harsh side effects (apart from getting needles shoved into you, of course!!). If you don't like the idea of being poked with needles, you could try acupressure or shiatsu (same idea as acupuncture, but through massage instead).
I would go to your GP first and ask about whichever ideas seem best for you.
Hope all goes well for you... PM me if you feel like it
~Gary~
|