View Single Post
Old 15-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod
 
talaiporia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: W. London
I am currently:

I think that it would be nice if the government incentivised business by subsidising wages for those who are signficantly disabled in that they would otherwise be out of work. My mum has a brain injury and was sacked as she was unable to work; she now volunteers (as an admin assistant, filing 1/2 a day and at a school as a TA in art 1/2 a day) and I think that if she can do that, although she requires a lot of supervision, she probably justfies some kind of wage. A lot of people she knows with similar situations volunteer because if a company has a choice, why would they pick someone who can't remember anything?

There's also a cafe in my hometown that hires only profoundly disabled people (all non-physical I believe) which is predominantly things like Downs, or various brain conditions, and a friend of mine works there a day a week. It really gives her a sense of independence - having her own money and working semi-independently - that she wouldn't get from benefits or even volunteering.



It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.


talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote