View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #80
Harley's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2005

I hope that this particular aspect of the referendum turns out to be academic, but there's little doubt that many Scots feel strongly on the overall issue, as of course they're entitled to.

I have to admit that I greatly resent the SNP's attempt to break up the Union which has existed for so long. And I also resent their assumption that if the Yes vote succeeds they can pick whatever cherries they fancy to take with them. As I've already said, I believe that if they do vote to go then the rest of UK should have a definite say as to what the split will allow them to take.

On the vote itself, I find it slightly ironic that I spend about a third of my year in the Western Isles (where I pay over £1,000 a year in Council Tax) but don't get a vote because our cottage is not my main home. I can see the logic, but I nevertheless have a greater genuine and vested interest in the outcome of the referendum than most people in the rest of UK.

However, there may be hope for me yet, as I see that there are ideas being mooted in Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles that if a Yes vote succeeds then they will have their own referendum as to whether they may still remain part of the UK. What excitements we could yet be in for, with the SNP saying that while we won with a referendum, you in the Islands can't have one yourselves. But pure speculation at this stage ...

Tony.




Never surrender.


Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote