View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Amaryllis
Forum Mod
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yarnia
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_seclusion View Post
Yeah from what I understand one party wants to defund something and the other party doesn't. Our government hasn't had a real budget in years but keeps renewing temporary measures. The party that wants to defund stuff won't renew the budget temporary measures or whatever unless they get what they want. And the other party is doing the same thing. And we have to have things pass in both the house and the senate. But each one has the opposite party majority right now. So anything that passes in one ends up failing in the other. And so nothing gets approved and there's no budget. That's how I understand it anyway; someone feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong. All I know is that both parties are crap and people need to start voting for candidates that aren't republican or democrat, but that seems like it'll never happen cause that's what people are used to. And somehow the politicians have managed to classify their pay as "essential", so even though federal workers aren't getting paid, they are. So they have no incentive to fix anything. I think no politician should be paid until this is fixed. And I think anyone on welfare will be affected within the next month (like said about WIC) if this isn't fixed by then, because there's no budget for welfare. I can't access a grant application I'm applying for, because the national science foundation can't keep their website up. And there's no new grants anyway til this is over. And eventually this could be very bad for professors at my university because of how much they rely on government grants. It's already been bad enough with the cuts to science, and now this. It just really makes me angry that politicians can do this because they can't do their basic job, which is to negotiate and compromise. And they get paid while middle class and low income people suffer. Yet not enough people will band together to vote for other parties that would keep the republicans and democrats from being able to do whatever they want and still get elected. It's so insane that we as a country vote in such a way that only two parties are essentially an option.

The bill has already passed the senate, it did so well before the shutdown. Obama has said he would sign it. The speaker of the house in the house of representatives is refusing to allow them to vote on the bill. Enough democrats and republicans have said they would vote for it. They are just not being allowed to vote on it.



Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote