Hello, speaking as a sufferer from psychosis I can say that anti psychotics can help you gain insight and challenge delusions but it doesn't necessarily make you forget the delusions. You remember how real and scary they were but you now have the ability to challenge them. Now it may take some time to find a med combination that works. I reacted really badly to olanzapine (I can't remember if it helped because all it did was sedate me, I'm not trying to scare you because many people don't experience this), I then went on a second atypical anti psychotic which controlled me enough t get me out of hospital but didn't help me as such. As steel mentions the dopamine hypothesis isn't necessarily true for everyone but was tested with me and I was put on a typical antipsychotic (chlorpromazine) and it's done wonders for me, I can challenge my thoughts with cbt and am slowly gaining control of my life in that sense. So he may need to try more than one medication before he can get to a state of stability and medication is just to control the initial acute symptoms he may need therapy to help him challenge the thoughts he had even if they are not controlling his life anymore also to gain insight so he can become aware he has an illness and to notice any change in his state of mind t get help quicker. I hope things work out for you hun, I really do. Take care x
|