Thread
:
Mentioning MH Problems
View Single Post
26-07-2012, 09:15 PM
#
1
Aardbei
Forum Mod
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
I am currently:
Mentioning MH Problems
Hi everyone - I just watched The World's Maddest Job Interview and am now worried that mentioning my mental health problems on job applications might be affecting my chances.
The following content has been hidden -
Reason : long
I'm applying for mostly assistant psychologist jobs involving working with people with mental health problems. These are really difficult to get onto and I've had either no response or rejections, and I'm now worried my mention of my MH problems may be why. This is how I've phrased it:
"I have personally experienced mental health problems which I have successfully overcome through various therapeutic techniques including cognitive behavioural therapy. My experience of CBT helped me to better understand how it works in practice and showed the clear link between thoughts, feelings and behaviour. I developed a much greater self-awareness during my therapy and I feel I am more able to empathise with others because of this personal growth. This is also the reason I feel very strongly about helping others in the same way I was. This personal investment makes me motivated and enthusiastic about this position. However, I also understand the importance of professional boundaries and that my own challenges should be kept separate from the work I do."
I've tried to give it a positive spin and show how this can be an asset. However, I'm now worried this is doing more harm than good.
I hope that the area I want to work in would be positive in their attitude towards MH problems. Also, I don't really want to work for a psychologist who discriminates against people with mental health problems! A rejection letter I got praised me for my bravery and candour and said they thought it was a positive thing that I mentioned it (although I still didn't get the job!) Do you guys think I should remove it from my application? I'm just really concerned that I'm shooting myself in the foot here.
Thanks if you read!
Aardbei
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Aardbei
Arcade
Challenge
Aardbei
in the Arcade!