I, quite frankly, just didn't see the point of Mike's initial post. IMO it just didn't add anything to the thread. Lightening the mood is one thing, but firstly know your audience and secondly at least make it relevant, surely? Or did I just miss the joke?
On the topic of the rest of the thread, I think it's a valid comment to say that when you put something in the media, you're letting it be exposed whatever way it is pulled. The media isn't there to play nice, it's there to sell stories and I think it's important to realise that.
As for the thread - why can't we have serious discussions in General Chat? I'd be very, very sad if GC was full of Rainbow Room type threads - there's a time and place for them, and a few is obviously absolutely fine, but I think a thread like this is sort-of what GC is for; it's not looking for support or advice (hence why it's not in GSA?), it's just posting an experience. GC shouldn't be all spam threads - part of the brilliance of RYL and GC was that there was always a mix of casual chat and more serious (but not serious serious) discussion. General Chat certainly shouldn't be lots of random spamming with random pictures, nor should it always be jokey stuff. It's general chat, which encompasses everything.
Also, FWIW (if I haven't made enough enemies so far!) I think that it's really good to get objective opinions on the things you're experiencing. The fact is that a lot of the stuff that people on here deal with isn't well handled or normal, but it's easy to get wrapped up in this weird RYL bubble of thinking it is. It's never nice but I think it's good to be reminded that this isn't a normal way to function.
|