Thread: Crisis team?
View Single Post
Old 19-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Serendipity.
fabulous.
 
Serendipity.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010

Hey Jessy,

Obviously there will be variation between teams and you might not get on with every member of the team. I know not everyone here has had the best experience with crisis teams but I just wanted to say that mine was really positive. They can't fix everything and sometimes their suggestions might be annoying (distraction distraction distraction) but generally they will do a lot to help.

In my area anyway the Crisis Team and HTT were the same thing so they would come out and speak to me, every day for a while when I needed it, and they would call as well, more than once a day if necessary.

It gives you someone to talk to and it may be more helpful than calling a helpline because they are professionals in mental health, also they are able to come out to you and put things in place to help keep you safe. They will do everything they can to keep you out of hospital; crisis teams are there to help minimise hospital admissions so they'll try really hard to work with you in the community. Especially if you're willing and able to work with them (in my case I would promise not to do X until next time I saw them, or call them in certain situations).

I only actually called them once and I was absolutely terrified so I can really relate. I am terrible at calling people but it was the best thing I could have done and the thing is, they are going to be used to people finding it difficult and will know how to deal with it. For me the number was just the CMHT number and you had to be put through which for some reason I found really scary so it helped me to plan in advance exactly what I was going to say (i.e. "could I be put through to the crisis team please" - but it was hard lol). It might help to have some idea of what you want to say to start off and give them an idea of what's going on for you.

I hope that helped a little, I understand that it's a scary prospect but they are there to help, they're used to dealing with people with similar problems and it really sounds like you could use the support just now. Look after yourself, feel free to PM me if you need anything. x



"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."


Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote