View Single Post
Old 14-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
black_sheep
?????????????
 
black_sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
I am currently:

I don't cover scars up outside of work but for interviews and the first few weeks / months in a new job then I cover up.

Like it or not people make judgements (with sh they'll probably be negative!) & that could affect your chances. I can't be bothered to wear make up 99% of the time but I'll wear it for an interview - covering scars is the same thing for me. I'm not gonna risk my sh preventing me getting a job I'm perfectly capable of doing.

Once I'm in the job I wait until I've got to know people, feel comfortable with what kind of people they are, and more importantly i wait until I feel they've got to know me and judged me initially on my personality and work performance. Then i'm ok with uncovering my arms. Each job where I've done this, no one has ever mentioned them and nothing has changed at all.

People can't help making judgements so I prefer holding off in the hope that someone that may initially think 'oh god she used to sh, what a mess up / scary / unstable / attention seeking person, i don't know how to handle this, etc.' instead thinks 'oh, but she's so normal - opinion changed, move on' - that kind of idea anyway.

I will point out that I'm talking about old scars here, so i hide behind the idea they will assume 'it was all in the past, when i was younger, and had 'issues' and its all ok now' etc. Any new slip ups are hidden until completely healed/faded!

x

black_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote