1. List the ways that you self-harm <no tip sharing, be generic>
cutting, fasting, burning, scratching
2. How do these behaviors help you survive?
they distract me from more extreme behaviours, they keep me going
3. How does this behavior give me a sense of control?
because it is my body
4. How/Why does this behavior release endorphins (the happy factor) and make me feel better?
through pain
5. How does this behavior give me revenge?
on myself. even though people tell me i don't deserve it.
6. How does this behavior punish me?
i punish myself whenever i am mad at myself
7. When and why did you start this behavior?
about a year ago. it started without me really noticing....mostly just scratching to distract myself from bad situations...but i soon learned i could control this
8. How/Why does this behavior bring me affection, care, or emotional closure? (How does it comfort you? if this applies)
it gets me through tough situations. but it provides just as much emotional pain.
Copy and paste this section, delete the lines that do not apply to you, leaving only the ones that do:
I want to show that I own my body
I want to express my rage at myself
I hate myself
I want to distract myself from other pain
I want to numb my feelings
I want to cleanse myself
I want to somehow atone for my sins
I want to express my shame
I am trying to express my pain
I am trying to bring my emotions under control
I am trying to prove that I am alive
I am trying to release emotional tension
I need a release valve
I am trying to buy myself time by focusing attention on physical rather than emotional pain
Now, think about your reason(s) for harming, list 3-5 things you could do instead.
1.draw/colour pictures
2.watch movies
3.walk my dog
Which of the following are true for you? (Again delete the ones that do not apply for you)
If I don't hurt myself this way, my pain will be worse
I need to be punished for what I did
It just shows how bad a person I am
The scars are there for a reason, they remind me of my shame/need for punishment
|