Originally Posted by
Dreamofunity
To those in support of manditory service: What would you propose be done to those who refuse to comply?
There is nothing these people would find interesting? From helping coach football, to helping with music, maybe even helping out a local business with some of their tasks, helping with nurseries or hairdressers? Teenagers complain that there is nothing to do in their town, well then they could help sort that! It could also be considered work experience rather than just community service which conjures up images of picking up rubbish, cleaning graffiti, etc.
I, personally, would be all for bringing the MoD on board and allowing some people to undertake basic training (not including handling guns etc) or helping out with the military in some way without the people being forced to sign up. There are hundreds of jobs they could help with. Or shadowing the police force or other emergency services.
The teenagers would have a choice of hundreds of different things they could do and they have their entire teenage years to do it. If they can't find something their interested in then I'm sure the military would help out.
ETA: Adam, I was not talking about you personally. I was talking about the people I know of from in my town.