RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gap Years (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95930)

PixieHope. 04-05-2009 02:30 PM

Gap Years
 
I'm planning on taking a gap year after my degree in 2010 and I was wondering what people did on their gap years?

I want to go back to Uganda, go to Guatemala, Thailand and Australia. Afterwards possibly travel round Europe or America.

What are people's experiences?

I recently travelled to Uganda so I've experienced travelling and that's why I want to go other places. It's a world away from what the West is used to.

x-dying-inside-x 04-05-2009 03:55 PM

my cousin took a gap year and went round the world she loved it!

Asura 04-05-2009 05:50 PM

I took a gap year after High School because I wasn't ready to go to uni. So I found a french school online and went to study in France for two months. When I got back home I got a job and worked to make some money.

Hope you have a great time on your gap year. It sounds like it will be amazing!
To anyone that is considering taking one, I would encourage doing so. Don't rush through education. =)

what_the? 04-05-2009 05:54 PM

I didn't do a gap year, but I've spent a couple of summers in South America and this year I'm volunteering in Ecuador.

My uncle (who's only a few years older than me) travelled around SE Asia and then on to Australia and New Zeland. He loved Aus so much that he went back and worked there for 18 months.

My younger sister is taking a gap year before uni, from this september, and she's going to work as a ski instructor in Canada for the winter, and then travelling around the US for the remainder of her year. It sounds really good.

Wherever you go it will be ace, I'm sure you'll have a fab time, but it is really expensive. I work the rest of the year to pay for my summers away!

bigmouth 05-05-2009 12:08 AM

I never had a gap year, but Ive lived in Cuba and in Mexico City, if I was to do a gap year now i'dgo around Brazil

-Tough-Cookie- 05-05-2009 07:50 AM

I spent my gap year recoveriing from anorexia so i dont suppose i'm much help...

rockaroni 05-05-2009 10:48 AM

I went to Tanzania to do TEFL tutoring with young kids :) as well as visiting Philadelphia and Amsterdam a couple of times.

If you're going abroad to volunteer, I really would NOT reccomend a company called i-to-i. The TEFL course is wonderful, however their staff and organizational skills are rubbish.

PixieHope. 05-05-2009 11:32 AM

i-i were too expensive when I looked at them. I've found a company that will do all four for £3345 and that would last 44 weeks then I'll probably travel America for 6 weeks. Well that's what I want to do :)

gypsyroselee 05-05-2009 04:21 PM

i went to thailand, singapore, malaysia, oz and fiji over 4&a half months. was pretty cool. would like to go back to thailand and fiji at some point in the near future.

this summer im going interrailing around europe for like a month which should be cool too.

gypsyroselee 05-05-2009 04:21 PM

sta travel


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.